Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        programming question - looking around after death

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: programming question - looking around after death

Gomu Gomu no.....
Gomu Gomu no.....
PostPosted: 03-24-2005 07:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How do I enable the player to look around after the player is killed?

I remember someone doing this a while back, I can't remember who or how it was done, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-An eyeful a day is bloody fantastic!-

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 03-24-2005 11:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Isn't LE the programming forum now? :paranoid:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-24-2005 11:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yep I think it is.

It starts. I win. The end!
PostPosted: 03-24-2005 12:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The mod was called True Combat, corncobman. After you were killed in Team Last Man Standing game type since you could roam about in spectater mode it was a good stratigy to let your team mates know what was around the next corner if ya' know what I mean.

But if you could get your hands on the source code for that mod you could see how it was done.

Hope that helps.

BTW, did you get my bots and the deity t.c replacement file?

Later.

visual prowess
visual prowess
PostPosted: 03-24-2005 01:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

corncobman wrote:
How do I enable the player to look around after the player is killed?

I remember someone doing this a while back, I can't remember who or how it was done, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Look around as in spectator mode or look around as in z-effects.pk3?

Gomu Gomu no.....
Gomu Gomu no.....
PostPosted: 03-25-2005 02:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No, I mean looking around as in being able to see around you between the time you die and the time you respawn. The player's position would be fixed but the angles would be rotatable.

Magnus wrote:

BTW, did you get my bots and the deity t.c replacement file?

Later.

Yes

EDIT: Having looked quickly inside, the files should be renamed .pk3 instead of .zip and you should remove the thumbs.db files

You will also need a .bot file in the scripts path for each bot so you can actually add a bot in game.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-25-2005 04:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

check the ET source :paranoid:

PostPosted: 03-25-2005 04:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oops! I put the wrong folders in the .zip. The .pk3 folders now that I look are setting here in my "new bots" folder on my desktop.
Oh, well.
Thanks for the tip.......or reminder......or whatever...heh!
It's 7:30a.m. and I havent been to bed yet. I gotta go get some sleep :icon29: .
BTW once you get a chance to look around inside you will find the botfiles/bots/ deity c.i.t.w. / savagephantom c.i.t.w. / spirit c.i.t.w.
And your right haveing a .jpg for each .tga is just going to make my .zip too large. Never thought about that.

Well once you get a chance to realy look around inside let me know what you find right and wrong with my scripting and file structure as well as how the bots look, play, and interact.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Magnus on 03-25-2005 09:18 AM, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 03-25-2005 09:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I caught your last post over at PQ. Here is my reply....

Crap! I sure didn't put those in there.

I have them in my pak0.pk3/scripts/bots. So they are in my bot selection menu and I can add them to arenas as bots as well as use them as player models.

I just forgot to make a bots file and place one in each bot's .pk3.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Here is what I have for each one if you want to just add it:

{
name Savagephantom
Funname ^1Svagephantom^7
model savagephantom
aifile bots/savagephantom_c.c
}

{
name Deity
funname ^3Deity^7
model deity
aifile bots/deity_c.c
}

{
name Spirit
model spirit
aifile bots/spirit_c.c
}

Or if you want I can send you an updated .zip.

BTW, What do I name my scripts/bots file for each bot to get the game to recognise it as the bots file for each bot?

Do I name it bots or deity or deity.bots or bots.deity or something else?

Thanks!

Gomu Gomu no.....
Gomu Gomu no.....
PostPosted: 03-25-2005 03:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the same name as the bot and the extension is .bot so deity.bot as an example.

PostPosted: 03-25-2005 06:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool!

You, misantropia, and obsidian have been spending quite a bit of time imo, helping me without bitching and smarting off at this bot modding noob.

Big thanks dude!

I hope I turn out to be worth everyones, including my own, time and effort....heh!

Later.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.