Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Fjo3tourney1 - ECP - Beta 3

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Fjo3tourney1 - ECP - Beta 3

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 06:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unusual short timespan between beta 2 and beta 3 for me, but no need to gasp yourselves to death. :P

Hope this will be the final beta, starting to get tired of it.
Did alot of bot and player optimizing and tried to work a little on the hinting, but still no good results.
Also did some work on the item placement, which I feel is quite good now, thanks Todt. :)

Shott'y's:

Download link:
Righteh here

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 06:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I really like this map. I played it against bots for about 40 minutes :), but there are some things though...

I dont have any place to host screenies but I have a few suggestions that shouldnt require any..

- the long hallway between the yellow armor and the rocket launcher needs to be broken up somehow..the way it is at the moment leads to easy long distance rails, or boreing spam wars. maybe add doors at the tops of both sets of stairs?
or move the lowest set of stairs back toward that solid wall and create an E in the hallway with 2 extra sets of archways to cut the distance down and prevent the easy rails or spam wars. (hope that made sense..heh)

- the space between the rail and the yellow armor, needs a ledge on the wall closest to the bridge, to keep gameplay moving...having to drop down after getting the rail and go back up the lift to get the YA is a bit odd. (or doing a rj from the other direction to reach the railgun)

- the area where the MH is located needs a lift up to the second level...semi-dead end brings game flow to a crawl. theres a catwalk up there but no way to get to it from the MH floor w/o a rj.

- the middle area with the grate covered pit (no other way to say it i guess..heh)...another dead end area, death trap type thing... the wedge shaped thing in the corner? there could maybe be a lift on top of that taking you up the the next level to keep from being trapped and LGed to death.(very easy to do that against bots btw)

thats not quite all, but kinda difficult to explain what i mean without screenies (or maybe even with, lol). I hope that stuff up there made sense to you anyway :).

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 06:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you need to, send the screens to com.cox@borke and I'll host 'em for ya.

Just flip that address over and you got me. ;)

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 09:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

imageshack.us

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-30-2005 02:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I miss the PG a bit, but I think it'll work without it ;).

Btw. there's a strange thing I've never seen before in a map (I saw this in beta 2, too, but forgot to mention it)...

...when flying up to the sky above the lower RL in spectator mode...
[lvlshot]http://www.todtsteltzer.de.vu/feedback/fjo3tourney1_beta3/fjo3t1_b3_01.jpg[/lvlshot]

...the map crashed with this error message:
[lvlshot]http://www.todtsteltzer.de.vu/feedback/fjo3tourney1_beta3/fjo3t1_b3_02.jpg[/lvlshot]

The same thing happens at several places when flying up to the sky with 'noclip 1' :confused:.

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 03-30-2005 02:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Seconded.

:confused:

Lasery Roboty
Lasery Roboty
PostPosted: 03-30-2005 03:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Peloquin, did you try this map in CPMA? Alot of the connections you want are doable quite easily, and some are less doable, though not impossible.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-30-2005 03:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wow that map crash is a weird bug.. ive never seen that one in 5+ years of mapping..

i posted some feedback @ bg, check it when u get a min fjoggs :D

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-30-2005 06:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The shader_max_vertexes "bug" usually occurs when you have more than 2 stages in your sky shader, and/or when you have a large viewable sky surface.

Try either reducing the amount of stages in your shader or reducing the visible sky surface. You can also try using some of the portal sky or sky sphere hacks that people have been using.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 04-01-2005 04:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cheers for the feedback, i'll see what I can do about it. ;)

Storm: Checking now, thanks. :)

Obsidian: Hmm, alot of the standard skies in q3 have multiple stages. I'll try to fix it via a portal sky. Thanks!

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-05-2005 09:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

voodoochopstiks wrote:
Peloquin, did you try this map in CPMA? Alot of the connections you want are doable quite easily, and some are less doable, though not impossible.

yes i tried it in cpm, and yes I know theyre doable in that mod.

did you try it in vq3 to understand what im talking about though? :icon26:

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 04-05-2005 09:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The map is designed for vQ3 at first, but CPMA added a few key elements that helped gameplay.
You have some good suggestions, but I'm happy with the current situation. Some of your situations aren't present in online play.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-06-2005 10:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fjoggs wrote:
Obsidian: Hmm, alot of the standard skies in q3 have multiple stages. I'll try to fix it via a portal sky. Thanks!

Pretty sure most only have 2 stages max or they will limit the visible surface area of the sky.

Found this, almost exactly the same as what I wrote above... Common error message #29:
http://www.quake3world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3138

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.