Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Quake 3 25th Anniversary Contest

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Quake 3 25th Anniversary Contest

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-09-2024 06:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Almost 10 years ago, I organized the last - as far as I know - big contest for Quake 3 to celebrate the game's 15th anniversary. Sadly, the game hasn't received any official love since then from either id or the press when another anniversary is due. I know there are a lot of communities out there still playing and tinkering with the game, but sadly they're all scattered over the internet and we don't have a centralized place anymore. It pains me to see so little love for my favourite arena shooter of all time!

I'm willing to give it my all to try and celebrate Quake 3's upcoming anniversary in style, but at the same time I'm realistic about the chances of getting enough people on board. However, I'm currently bringing Map-Center back (the domain is already up, the website isn't done yet) and we've been supporting id-tech 2 through our Discord server with multiple very successful released map packs and a thriving mapping/modding community behind them. I'm confident that if I put in the work, I could again find sponsors, provide a place to host it and get well known mappers to support it. However, all of that is in vain if nobody is participating.

Consider this post a way for me to gauge interest. Feel free to share it among the many scattered communities out there! Let me know where you shared it though

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 03-09-2024 12:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It might be very difficult doing this, the scene is more or less dead.

I have my map I'm working on, starting a new one would never fly these days, even if I have ideas, because there's so much other shit taking all my time.

Q3s problem has always been that there was no real SP and the bot support is very so-so, so you are kinda stuck. Q1 and Q2 has a good singleplayer base to stand on, you can just play new SP maps all the time.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-09-2024 12:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you're after single player, you could map for entityplus, or defrag aka the best game ever!

Edit: I thought you were aeon haha. I don't need to suggest defrag to you

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 03-09-2024 01:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

..::LvL hardly gets any new map submissions, unless they are from Spike or one of his friends :)

There are clearly people that are still tinkering maps and mods (myself include). About 6 years now for one map for me due to lack of free time to work on it.

It is a nice idea and would be awesome to see a great outcome.

As a suggestion: Limited time frame for the build (maybe a max of three days) and restricted to original textures.

Last edited by Tigger on 03-10-2024 02:11 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-09-2024 01:32 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'd participate if it's something that's set up in such a way that it won't take too much time. Maybe a pass-the-map kind of thing? An EntityPlus pass-the-map would be epic, but I give that zero chance of ever happening.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 03-09-2024 10:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looking forward to it!

id Tech 3 Mapping Trello

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 03-09-2024 10:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tigger wrote:
..::LvL hardly gets any new map submissions, unless they are from Spike or one of his friends :)

There are clearly people that are still tinkering maps and mods (myself include). About 6 years now for one map for me due to lack of free time to work on it.

It is a nice idea and would be awesome to see a great the outcome.

As a suggestion: Limited time frame for the build (maybe a max of three days) and restricted to original textures.

It's true, lvlworld doesn't see many releases these days, but the defrag mapping scene is still fairly active.
Check out some of the most recent maps for 'FPS Winter Cup' on https://dfcomps.ru/
https://defrag.racing/maps/filters?search=fpscup
https://defrag.racing/maps/filters?search=dfwc

Some real gems in there!

id Tech 3 Mapping Trello

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-10-2024 04:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

KittenIgnition wrote:
If you're after single player, you could map for entityplus, or defrag aka the best game ever!

Edit: I thought you were aeon haha. I don't need to suggest defrag to you

Hey Kitten, good to see you're still around. Just lurking about or also still mapping?

Tigger wrote:

It is a nice idea and would be awesome to see a great outcome.

I'm not opposed to the idea of doing it with the assets in which the game was made. However, multiple people did ask for it to be released on Quake Live which begs the question, if you do that, are those assets also allowed?

quBit wrote:

It's true, lvlworld doesn't see many releases these days, but the defrag mapping scene is still fairly active.
Check out some of the most recent maps for 'FPS Winter Cup' on https://dfcomps.ru/
https://defrag.racing/maps/filters?search=fpscup
https://defrag.racing/maps/filters?search=dfwc

Some real gems in there!

Definitively and it would be great to get them on board somehow.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-10-2024 01:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Infernis wrote:
Hey Kitten, good to see you're still around. Just lurking about or also still mapping?

forums are old, hat jack. i'm on discord, still in radiant and defrag damn near every day. i feel dirty posting screenshots here because so much of my work blurs the line between copying work and making my own, and i'm sure some people would say i cross that line. i release a map here and there though, and still have epic projects piling up behind the scenes too, including some entityplus work! i'm no organizer, but i'd join in on a pass the map for sure :D

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-11-2024 06:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

KittenIgnition wrote:
Infernis wrote:

forums are old, hat jack. i'm on discord, still in radiant and defrag damn near every day. i feel dirty posting screenshots here because so much of my work blurs the line between copying work and making my own, and i'm sure some people would say i cross that line. i release a map here and there though, and still have epic projects piling up behind the scenes too, including some entityplus work! i'm no organizer, but i'd join in on a pass the map for sure :D

Good to see you're still busy though!

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-11-2024 06:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm getting a lot of messages on Discord from people who can't access Quake3World or who would rather use Discord for further discussion. That's why I've set up a dedicated discussion channel on the Map-Center Discord. If you use that app and would like to pitch in, you can join us here: https://discord.gg/vSvqwys5hB. Of course I'll keep checking here from time to time, but the main discussion will take place on Discord.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 03-12-2024 10:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You know, you should reach out to fkd, as I understand he was making all these new cpma levels, that wasn't too long ago either I think?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 03-12-2024 10:39 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

25 years of Quake 3. Who would have thought? And still with an active community.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-12-2024 11:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey man. Thanks for the heads up on Steam. I’ve not had a lot of time for mapping of any sort, but just maybe….

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-14-2024 01:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hipshot wrote:
You know, you should reach out to fkd, as I understand he was making all these new cpma levels, that wasn't too long ago either I think?

Yeah, he did some make overs. I think I even reviewed one on Lvlworld. But he went pro right? I'll try and see if I can reach him.

dONKEY wrote:
Hey man. Thanks for the heads up on Steam. I’ve not had a lot of time for mapping of any sort, but just maybe….

No problem. It seems I accidently pruned you from the Discord server (we do a clean up every once in a while for accounts that haven't used Discord in a month or so). Please rejoin and take a look at what I'm finally doing with the Map-Center domain we bought.

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 03-15-2024 10:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I had a weird dream one night that someone funded a video shoot where they flew me around the world to do interviews with all of the older mappers from Quake 3 Arena....to lead up to doing a commercial for the remaking of Quake 3 Arena...it was premium!

Good to see your name popping up on here, Tig!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-16-2024 08:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

v1l3 wrote:
I had a weird dream one night that someone funded a video shoot where they flew me around the world to do interviews with all of the older mappers from Quake 3 Arena....to lead up to doing a commercial for the remaking of Quake 3 Arena...it was premium!

Did we have hot robot nurses changing our diapers in this future? :D

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 03-16-2024 01:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sst13 wrote:
v1l3 wrote:

We will! https://britishcomics.fandom.com/wiki/Inga

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 03-17-2024 09:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sst13 wrote:

Absolutely .... and hey sst13!!

With all of the stuff going on in the world lately, and my seeing it as some sort of aftermath of what has happened to the world since the silencing of Quake in general...I sometimes think back to half of the memories that I have had over the last 20+ years of playing this game. People doing things that I think had changed the world of gaming in many ways....
....it all seemed to go bleh after Quake Live blasted on Steam...when that died down, the world died with it.

If half of the people in the world knew half of the crazy things that I did back in the day in Q3/QL, that probably had an effect on many lives...they'd be like, shit!

...you guys too...

I think back to the early days of mappers who I was able to communicate with, they being like celebrities to me when I was new to Quake. Getting to know some of them, helping in any way for all of them to creates environments that would change the lives of thousands at that time .... forums ... LvL ... Burial Grounds ... all of the old sites, it's insane when I look at it now.

We didn't live in the YouTube world.

It seemed more spiritual back in the day ... Quake 3 was like entering into a different world.

I'm no programmers, or a mapper at that, but I know this game. I have it tattoed on my right arm largely. I just sometimes wish that I had the know how of creating a movie about my life in Quake. The switching of identities..I know most of you all of have done that too. Being different people....that was the game...the arena.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-18-2024 03:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

v1l3 wrote:
sst13 wrote:

Absolutely .... and hey sst13!!

With all of the stuff going on in the world lately, and my seeing it as some sort of aftermath of what has happened to the world since the silencing of Quake in general...I sometimes think back to half of the memories that I have had over the last 20+ years of playing this game. People doing things that I think had changed the world of gaming in many ways....
....it all seemed to go bleh after Quake Live blasted on Steam...when that died down, the world died with it.

If half of the people in the world knew half of the crazy things that I did back in the day in Q3/QL, that probably had an effect on many lives...they'd be like, shit!

...you guys too...

I think back to the early days of mappers who I was able to communicate with, they being like celebrities to me when I was new to Quake. Getting to know some of them, helping in any way for all of them to creates environments that would change the lives of thousands at that time .... forums ... LvL ... Burial Grounds ... all of the old sites, it's insane when I look at it now.

We didn't live in the YouTube world.

It seemed more spiritual back in the day ... Quake 3 was like entering into a different world.

I'm no programmers, or a mapper at that, but I know this game. I have it tattoed on my right arm largely. I just sometimes wish that I had the know how of creating a movie about my life in Quake. The switching of identities..I know most of you all of have done that too. Being different people....that was the game...the arena.

You sure have been a constant in this community for as long as I can remember.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-18-2024 03:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Based on all the comments so far, I take it there's little interest in participation from this community, am I right about that?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 03-18-2024 04:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The biggest issue is that people either have IRL stuff going on and pretty much moved on in their lives, or they are still active in the community, but are still fairly busy with other personal projects. When it comes to me, it's pretty hectic in my life at the moment, and I have no idea if I would be able to participate or not. I'm actually reviving my work on my own map I've left unfinished and unattended for almost a decade now, as I was busy with other stuff (and still am, but at this point it comes crushing on me, so screw it). I can't start a new mapping project. Even if I would be able to do it, I doubt that enough people would turn in to make it viable. Not gonna lie, it would be awesome, but right now it doesn't seem very realistic. But 30 years anniversary that's gonna be in 5 years might possibly bring more people into the nostalgia ride. We'll see.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 03-18-2024 04:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Infernis wrote:
Based on all the comments so far, I take it there's little interest in participation from this community, am I right about that?

I think you need to collect people from various places to get this going, there might be someone here, maybe two, you have the splashdamage forums, jedi knight forums, defrag as mentioned and others, you should post in the quake live steam section too and ask.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-18-2024 09:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I play almost every week CA on a QL Server running around 100 custom maps. And according to this 25th Anniversary Contest I had the idea to aks the other players on the servers Discord, if they are interested in doing a little crash course in mapping with me.
So we could create a few maps step by step in this way.

But I didnt asked yet. :rolleyes:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-21-2024 11:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'd like to try collaborating, but I'm not much of a project manager. I won't be getting anything off the ground. With guidance, and constraints, I'm happy to build something interesting. I started playing with a sort of remix of a bunch of baseq3 maps for a personal thing, so I think I can doppelgang their style decently - that's kinda my thing.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-22-2024 01:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hipshot wrote:
Infernis wrote:

I think you need to collect people from various places to get this going, there might be someone here, maybe two, you have the splashdamage forums, jedi knight forums, defrag as mentioned and others, you should post in the quake live steam section too and ask.

I think I've already covered most bases. Btw, Splashdamage forums are dead (in regards to id-tech 3). But you're right, I need to give this a bigger push, somehow.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-22-2024 05:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've done another push for this:

Made a topic on the lvlworld forum
Made a topic on the Quake subReddit
Asked if I could post about it in the JK/Defrag and Xonotic Discords
Updated this topic

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 03-22-2024 12:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This sounds fun. I'm working on another project but I've some free time so I'll try make something if this goes ahead.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.