Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        linux md3 exporter/importer ?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: linux md3 exporter/importer ?

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-11-2006 03:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hello,
I am looking for a way to convert 3ds or whatever blender can export to md3 files ( blender md3 exporter doesn't work for me ).
Is ther eany way to do that ?
Since now I found freyja and aztec modellers to be promising in that sense , but I didn't accomplish to build them on Debian stable ( i386).
Any help appreciated.

Gab-

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 01-11-2006 05:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Are you trying to create static objects or animated for Q3?

You're out of luck unless you want to *buy* a 3D app that'll run on Linux, as it is Blender is pretty much all there is (and yes the MD3 exporter is imcomplete anyway so even if you did get it to run it'd basically only export the mesh data).

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-11-2006 08:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If static objects, use ASE or any of the other Q3Map2 supported model formats.

Otherwise, if doing animated playermodels or weaponmodels you could do what Id Software did, which is export to ASE, then use Q3Data.exe to convert ASE to MD3. Not easy, but still works.

Demongay
Demongay
PostPosted: 01-13-2006 12:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tr3b's md3 exporter can export tags now !1!!!! WITH ANIMATION !!!11
http://www.planetgargoyle.com/openarena/oatags.avi
I LOVE IT

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-16-2006 01:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:

where do I find that?
Is it for Blender ?

I ll check more into that if q3data works with ase not only from max.
I was wondering if ASE files exported like from blender can be converted if I maybe name the parts right and such.
I tried doing that (blender(ASE) to q3data ) but it sayd something like -lacking animations-..
Should I keep trying ?

Thanks,
Gab-

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 01-16-2006 06:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Blenders ASE exporter doesn't support animations ans that's not primarily what that forat is for; that's most likely why that error crops up. But, you should still be able to convert to MD3 becasue that format covers both static and animated model. Check you've not missed some cvar from the command path.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-16-2006 07:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Actually I used q3data with wine on Debian , I am still trying to figure out if there is a working linux version of it.
Btw it exited with what looks like a normal operation error ..
I didn't find manuals as for q3data so I ll try to figure out what the cvars could be as for static md3.
I am mainly interested in animated models though .

Ase animations export would be too much on linux I guess .

Gab-

Demongay
Demongay
PostPosted: 01-18-2006 03:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

gabdab wrote:
Quote:

where do I find that?
Is it for Blender ?

yes

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/x ... l/blender/

it's best used when ran through blender's text editor rather than the export menu

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-27-2006 06:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Didn't work too well for me.
But I think blender works better as for modelling than converting.
Maybe there is a need of free exporters working under linux.

Thanks,
Gab-

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-27-2006 07:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Let's see if I can remember how Q3Data works...

First of all, you need to create a QDT file. You can see an example file used by Id Software for Q3 here:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/quakeroats/d ... q3data.qdt

The QDT file contains a list of all the file path and model files that you want to convert as well as some switches required to identify the model as a player/weapon model, player dimensions, origin, etc.

For static models all you need is something like this:
$aseconvert models/mapobjects/palm3/palm3.ase

Then you need to create a batch file to execute Q3Data.exe as well as your QDT file. The batch parameters are as follows (for Windows, not sure how it works exactly in Linux - probably similar but with "/" slashes?):
[path\to\q3data\]q3data.exe [path\to\qdtfile]mymodel.qdt >mylogfile.log

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-28-2006 01:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thx guys u provide a lot of help.
I'm checking the stuff once again.
As for q3data I wish there was a easy way to export ase animated models on Linux since it works so well on wine.
Thx for the link 'obsidian'.
I'll try that on windoze as soon as I put my hands on it.

Thx,
Gab-

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 02-26-2007 05:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hello, I have the same problem that you and I have found a nice program named Misfit 3D, it runs well in Debian Stable, the SO that I use.

The downloadble development version, allow you to load .MD3 files (animate and static), and if the model is animate you can to play the animations, also load the points of the model, this points for example are used to place the weapon in the character's hand.

With Misfit you can make a skeleton, and to convert the skeletal animation in keyframe animation.

The problem is that the version don't allow you save the files yet, but in next release perhaps the MD3 support will be stable.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.