Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        beta 2 - kat1024 (little rock) by kat

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: beta 2 - kat1024 (little rock) by kat

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 04-03-2005 06:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

===============================================
[EDIT update]
The following link is to a bigger zip file that contains 3 further zips each with their respective componants
- beta2
- multiplant pack
- *.map file + editor assets

http://www.infosprite.com/members/kat/k ... master.zip @ c. 5.7MB

how to use / extract
open the main zip you just downloaded and then double click each of the zips therein contained. This will open a new instance of WinZip (for example) from which you can then drag and drop the enclose pk3 files into baseq3 as per normal.

kat1024_assets does not contain a pk3 as the assets need to be extracted directly into ..\baseq3\ for use (models, map etc.)

===============================================

download courtesy of infosprite. c. 2.5MB
[removed old link for now]

You'll also need multiplant_v3 that Obsidian did a lot of fixing to... it's currently available from the link below
Multiplant_v3.zip

I'll add a local mirror later.

update info
- fixed plant shaders (thnx Obsidian)
- fixed misc UVWmap errors
- fixed misc model errors
- fixed misc model lighting and smooth_group errors
- widened upper 'overhang'
- swapped out the Lightning Gun for the Granade Launcher
- misc Player clip issues fixed

Thanks to Obsidian for fixing the plant pack and to previous beta testers. :icon14: If there arn't any issue with this one it'll go final after this.

For more general info please see the previous thread here

New shots

Last edited by Kat on 04-04-2005 09:22 PM, edited 3 times in total.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 04-03-2005 07:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kaziganthe wrote:
Everything seems good except for nate's plants. The shrooms and that other one :P
If you got missing textures, then yeah, you'll need to grab the updated multiplant pack linked to above? (if that's the only error you got then that's why you got it, so no need to worry..!)

I forgot to add above that I may release the *.map file for this so peeps can see just how messy it is..!

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 04-03-2005 08:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Are you going to put the multiplant fix in the final?

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 04-03-2005 08:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lenard wrote:
I'm not too sure.. I did think about including it in the zip file but the problem with doing that is if anyone is running the old MPlant pack (beacsue they want to / don't know there's an update) adding this file will bork up that version without them knowing about it, I'd rather not do that. That's one of the reasons I wanted to try and keep the Mplant pack as a separate download, but make it quite clear that it is needed.

Keeping them separate also keeps the file size down quite a bit.

Hohmmm :confused:

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 04-03-2005 09:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, but I think something like that could overshadow the map. People will be like, oh, I have to download that too?
PFFFT. You know? When do we get a game on this, BTW?

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 04-03-2005 09:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kat wrote:
Lenard wrote:
I'm not too sure.. I did think about including it in the zip file but the problem with doing that is if anyone is running the old MPlant pack (beacsue they want to / don't know there's an update) adding this file will bork up that version without them knowing about it, I'd rather not do that. That's one of the reasons I wanted to try and keep the Mplant pack as a separate download, but make it quite clear that it is needed.

Keeping them separate also keeps the file size down quite a bit.

Hohmmm :confused:

i'd rather get it on one download. this is coming from a player, not a mapper.

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 04-03-2005 09:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Seconded.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 07:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kat wrote:
I forgot to add above that I may release the *.map file for this so peeps can see just how messy it is..!

That'll be great for people who want to learn about using alphaMod volume shaders as well as for people who want to import large ASE terrain models into their maps. And it's not messy at all for an alphaMod volume map - that by itself implies a bunch of extra brushes to control vertex alpha blending.

Just put your kat1024.zip and the zzz_md3_multiplant_v23.zip in a single master zip file, something like this:

Code:
kat1024.zip
   -installme.txt
   -kat1024.zip
      -kat1024.pk3
      -readme.txt
   -zzz_md3_multiplant_v23.zip
      -zzz_md3_multiplant_v23.pk3
      -readmestuff
      -prefabstuff

That way, if I do any future updates with the multiplant pack, all the user has to do is just replace or overwrite their existing pk3.

BTW, a few notes for everyone:

Don't rename the multiplant pack, it's meant to overwrite older versions of the pk3 as well as in other maps that include the multiplant pack in their maps. For example, installing the multiplant pack also fixes problems in wviperw's Decidica map among others. The textures were also optimized for better video card texture memory loading (and slightly better texture quality to boot).

New maps recompiled with the updated multiplant will result in a few optimizations - fewer tris, better smoothing groups, but otherwise the exact same appearance.

See the readme for more info.

Last edited by obsidian on 04-04-2005 07:40 AM, edited 1 time in total.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 07:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies fellas, I'm working on a solution to the Mplant pack.. will post an update asap.

[EDIT]okay, updated the info above to link to a larger file that contains all the relavant assets.

Swift and Deadly
Swift and Deadly
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 02:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ooo, I remember this map :)
Will have to grab it and tear it up, hehe.

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 08:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I still want some games on this.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 09:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lenard wrote:
I still want some games on this.
Not sure what you mean.. Did you grab the updated zip?

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 09:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I mean, who wants to play with me?

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 09:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lenard wrote:
I mean, who wants to play with me?
Ohh, I'm just shutting down for the night unfortunately, so no go for me even though I'd love to..! Maybe on the morrow if no-one else offers you a pop.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 04-05-2005 02:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've just found a couple of small errors that I didn't spot before, they effect Bot play so I missed then on this round of test. Should have an update (beta2.2) in the next day or two. Sorry about that folks.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 04-06-2005 06:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Holy crap kat! Those screen shots look absolutely beautiful! I'll have to download this one tonight and give it a run through. Your work looks amazing.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-06-2005 09:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Something's missing here... Think it's one of Nate's plants. There's also a bit of lightmap luxels that look a bit odd.

The UVW-mapping on the highlighted areas look a little odd IMO. They could be rotated just a bit so that the folds in the rock are more horizontal. Not sure if this is worth fixing though... it'll likely be a lot of work for something relatively small that no one else will notice.

Just my opinion, depends on the look you're going for, but I think the alphaMod volume blending isn't really noticable. Maybe change the colour of one of the textures just slightly, or add just a bit of moss onto parts of the texture?

Other than that, cool map. Very nice modeling work. Bots don't play very well ATM, but I suppose you're improving on that?

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 04-06-2005 02:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't know what's causing those odd shadows artifacts. There is a pysical break in the model there (the wall is *not* connected to the floor) and I'm using 'offset' in the shader, but there are a couple of places where that appears. So far nothing I've done has fixed it.

mmm, I had to break the UVWmap up into smaller chunks to fix those wierd projections (which were 'caused' by UVWmapping larger units, it ment the UVWmap was relative to that larger surface area which can cause the odd projects). Anyway it's now fixed, in as much as you can do with modelling objects like this.

Missed that plant. I'll also see about adding a bit more colour to the 'dirt' blend texture. Thanks for taking a look at this.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.