Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Modeling...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Modeling...

Holy Fucking Shit
Holy Fucking Shit
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 12:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

after collecting the tools of mapping and also collecting quite a few niffty models i began to wonder what you needed to begin modeling, as i think it probably suits me more than mapping ;)
I never see not much talk around here about mapping and (to my greatest annoyance) all the mapping resources from the old forums have gone :icon33: :icon33:

i have looked it all up on the t'internet, but its mostly tutorials and nothing on the programs you need and where to get them :icon33:

{{{{though i think i recall finding something that said you needed 'milkshake3d' or '3D Studio Max' somethin along those lines :confused:}}}}

all help appreciated ;)

diabolical besier hugger in disguise
diabolical besier hugger in disguise
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 01:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I hardly know anything about md3 creation, but i hope I can be of some help

First off, it's called Milkshape 3D ;], and can indeed be used to create md3's, ((download: http://www.download.com/3000-2121-10050779.html ))
Also, a free (limited) version of 3dsMax can be downloaded from http://www.discreet.com , and is called "gMax", I'm not entirely sure if the -*.* to *.md3- converter works on gMax-made files though.

edit: apparently Kat can be of more use for you;

Kat wrote:
Anyway to gmax... what you need to do is load up tempest and go to it's plugins folder (or 'scripts', I can't recall off the top of me noggin). There should be a file in there called 'Exportmd3.dle' which you need to copy from the tempest plugins folder to the gmax plugins folder.

By the way... MilkShape has it's own quite functional MD3 exporter - you *shouldn't* be trying to use an external 3rd party plugin with that app - you do have to create a *.qc file before you export though otherwsie it'll bork things up.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 03:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

corsair wrote:
...edit: apparently Kat can be of more use for you..
ooooo hello sailor :icon25:

@ CrinklyArse : If you want to really get into modelling but not in a professional capacity (i.e. hired into a game dev) the stick with the known freebies (or low cost) apps that have a pretty decent support set for game related modelling. Right now that's gmax, (strawberry) MilkShape and Blender 3D.

It kind breaks down like this
- Of the 3 Blender is 'traditionally' the hardest to get to grips with becasue it has a very unique interface but it now combines the toolset power of gmax with the import/export of MilkShape (although still limited relative to that app, I don't think *anything* has that extensive and I/O tool set).

- MilkShape and gmax have a lot in commonin terms of the interface and how they work but MilkShape is less complicated to use and has much superior export/import capabilities than gmax (that's it really big strength). It's got a limited tool set.

- gmax on the other hand has limited import/export functionality (effectively only that which is supplied by additional 'gamepacks') but has a vastly greater and much more powerful tool set.

Personally I have and do use all 3, MilkShape is worth the $20 or so dollars for a ligit version btw.

Your right about there being many tutorials around for level design related stuff which is one of the things I'm hoping to fix... I'm in the process of adding tutorial resource like that to my webbly site so it's worth having a look. You'll still want/need to look at the various tutorials that *are* online regarding 'traditional' modelling though as they really help you to understand "how it all works".

That's about as general as I can be without knowing specifics of what you're thinking. Download the apps mentioned above and just poke around with the tuorial files that you can find for each (except MS, not sure if that has any)

It starts. I win. The end!
It starts. I win. The end!
PostPosted: 04-04-2005 04:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey CrinklyArse.

I'm no expert but I do know a few good resources. I've been dealing with a lot of this stuff lately.

Look at my post near the bottom.

http://www.quake3world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2757

Hope it helps. :icon1:

Holy Fucking Shit
Holy Fucking Shit
PostPosted: 04-08-2005 09:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hey thnx for all the help guys, especially kat! just of to download everythin and have a play :)

Holy Fucking Shit
Holy Fucking Shit
PostPosted: 04-08-2005 09:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hay i now have milkshape and am downloading gmax as i speak me is a happy bunny and of to find tutorials...

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 04-08-2005 04:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've just started with Maya 6.5 myself. I'm hoping that my GtkRadiant 1.5 skills will ease up the learning process a little. :p

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 04-08-2005 06:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's so very different. I hoped knowing modelers would make radiant easier...

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 04-08-2005 09:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kaziganthe wrote:
I recently aquired and started messing with 3dsMax7... and the hardest part insofar is the UVW mapping. I'll get a model all nice and finished, and then unwrap it and be left with a massively fragmented image.... no fun :P
Read the bit about 'skinning the mesh'
http://www.quake3bits.com/htm/tutorials ... _with2.htm

I did have a tute on UVW specifially in the works but haven't found the time to do it yet.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.