Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Adding entities to a map with -onlyents?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Adding entities to a map with -onlyents?

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 11-28-2011 03:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is it possible to do more than just modify existing entities, but also add entities to a map with this param?

I might want to add a spawn point to a bsp, or maybe a weapon, or a jumppad, or some func_statics, or whatever. Is this within the realm of possibility, without entirely recompiling the map?

If not, it isn't a huge deal, but this would be really helpful.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 11-28-2011 04:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

is testing this out too much work?

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 11-28-2011 05:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have done a quick test, and it didn't work, but I might have been doing something wrong, so I asked.

Is that a problem for you?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-28-2011 05:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I could swear this worked for me. Non-structural entities. Of course I had to make new bots file as well.

I added -onlyents to my Radiant BSP menu. I used it a lot.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 11-28-2011 05:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It works for certain entities. No brush based entites, no lights, creating new entities may or not work.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 11-28-2011 06:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
It works for certain entities. No brush based entites, no lights, creating new entities may or not work.

That's exactly the answer I was looking for. Thanks.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 11-28-2011 06:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

KittenIgnition wrote:
I have done a quick test, and it didn't work, but I might have been doing something wrong, so I asked.

Is that a problem for you?

honestly, it just smacks of laziness, this game has been out 10 years, there is tonnes of documentation. sorry, this is not aimed directly at you. but we seem to be getting lots of questions these days that could be settled with just a tiny amount of personal research. (google is your friend) plus if you use this method you might learn other things as well during the process.

hah ive no idea why im even saying this tbh. :paranoid:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 11-28-2011 07:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Woke up on wrong side of bed?

I do agree with part of that, I certainly didn't receive as much hand-walking when starting out, it was completely about setting up your own test cases and test until you can draw a conclusion. However, I wouldn't shake my cane at the neighbourhood kids either so maybe we can all just play nice and be more helpful.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 11-28-2011 07:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah sorry everyone. the tone in my head did not seem so harsh, but it does read a little mean spirited. my bad

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 11-28-2011 07:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been doing a ton of shit and running into problems left and right. If I can save some time, I'll gladly NOT do a bunch of research only to realize it's a dead end. Seems completely reasonable. The answer I was looking for was one sentence, which doesn't take long for anyone to write.

And if you want to talk about hand-walking, the majority of what I know about Q3 was self-taught.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 11-28-2011 08:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

which isnt much so dont praise urself mitten

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 11-28-2011 09:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^Ghost wrote:
which isnt much so dont praise urself mitten

Yeah, I know almost nothing about Q3 :rolleyes:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-29-2011 12:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Can't we all be friends here?
I find it rather hypocritical if someone calls out someone else as being lazy for not figuring out something on his own while he himself is probably too lazy to write a two sentence answer to the question. All the effort put into telling someone to Google it up and rage over it could've been put into writing a well formulated, decent answer as well. And that will only increase chances of someone else finding this thread and getting help out of it.

It's not like these forums have three pages of active threads either, so if someone asks a question, no matter how stupid (well, there are limits), it's some traffic that makes the heart of this forum beat once more.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 11-29-2011 01:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i know i know, i said sorry.

i too have asked questions in the past with out simple research and my statement is fully hypocritical and retarded. i/we are here to help after all. again sorry and welcome, carry on :ninja:

"-onlyents Only changes the entities in the compiled .bsp. Needs a compiled .bsp and a new entity file (.ent)"

check out the q3map2 manual http://en.wikibooks.org/w/index.php?title=Q3Map2 its a really handy doc which is from here http://q3map2.robotrenegade.com/ grab the latest q3map2 release :up:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-10-2011 07:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i came to this thread for the KittenIgnition nick, but stayed for the drama :D

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.