Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Sky problem

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Sky problem

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 04-14-2005 09:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm working on the towermap and there's this problem with the sky. Looking from the ground there are no problems but when you go above the place where the sky is placed it goes bad. I guess it's an engine problem and the only thing I can think of is a stationary skybox. Or is there another way?

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 04-14-2005 09:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

To make this easy on us both (I can't explain in detial :P ) You can't use that texture if the player is going to get that high. If you do use it, you must cover the HOM (Hall of Mirrors) effect you are getting there.

Hit up google, here, and map-center for threads or articles about HOM, let some of those actually explain why it happens... ;)

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 04-14-2005 09:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'll go check it out

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-14-2005 09:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quake 3 does not draw the bottom of the sky hemisphere so what you're seeing it the "Hall of Mirrors" (HOM) effect.

Yes, you will have to use a skybox or other method of hacking around the problem. You could try a portal sky as well as some of the clever sky blending tricks that allows you to mix skyboxes with scrolling clouds. Both ydnar and rgoer had some good example of those that you can find (think ydnar had a sample map called "1337" or just "leet").

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-14-2005 09:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 04-14-2005 10:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:

Ah, nice. Trying it out now and maybe i'll do one myself later.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 04-14-2005 01:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Quake 3 does not draw the bottom of the sky hemisphere so what you're seeing it the "Hall of Mirrors" (HOM) effect.

Actually, it does, but only if the skybox has a texture assigned to it's bottom part.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-14-2005 07:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A skybox and a sky cloud shader are two very different things. As mentioned above, we already know that the static skybox will work, but not with animated clouds. So a work around is required blending the two methods, as illustrated in the link above.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 04-15-2005 04:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Misread it, my bad (late-night posting).

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 04-15-2005 06:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Had to add a light value myself to have it emit some light but for the rest, excellent.
Obsidian and ydnar thanks. And borke i know why it happens just not how i could solve it.
If you want to see how the towermap's progressing just pm me with your e-mail addy and i will send you the .pk3

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 04-16-2005 03:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nah, just fixing some stuff that bugged me. Maybe some more but not another tower attempt for a while.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.