Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Noob modding question

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Noob modding question

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 04-14-2005 08:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm a modding noob. I basically wanted to do a generic admin type of thing.. I was thinking I'd model it after rcon but I can't find anything at all about rcon in the code except some mentions of the "sv_rconpassword" cmd. Anybody wanna tell me where too look for that? In addition, is this remotely how an admin mod is created? Or do most modders create a completely independant module for the admin thingy? Like I was going to just put all my admin commands right next to all the rcon cmds, but I can't find any. Where are kick and ban defined?

Basically I was looking for some reference within the source for my admin thingy and I couldn't find it at all. Helpz plz.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 04-15-2005 04:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The rcon stuff is dealt with from within the engine, the part you as a mod coder don't have access too. Same goes for kicks and bans[1]. For an admin mod, you would just add your commands to g_svcmds.c.

[1] Some parts of a ban are processed in g_svcmds.c too.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 04-16-2005 10:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

K, thx.

1 more nub Q. I think I've defined a game cvar... Hah. I just can't figure out how the strings and stuff work, and how I can compare it to client cvars. Any one wanna help?

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 05-07-2005 04:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey how do I create a command? Like how can I define a command so that it is not "unknown?" I've been screwing around with g_cmds.c and stuff, but I can't figure it out.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 05-07-2005 06:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You add it to ConsoleCommand (g_svcmds.c):

Code:
if (Q_stricmp (cmd, "xyzzy") == 0) {
    G_Printf("Nothing happens.\n");
    return qtrue;
}

Regarding client cvars: you can't if the mod's server-side only. Clients propagate only a handful of cvars to the server and you can't just poll the others (the client would have to assist in that but it doesn't out-of-the-box).

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 05-07-2005 06:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 05-07-2005 07:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Or alot. He isn't familiar with the modding community and basically got the SDK and went at it without knowing anything.

Last edited by Lenard on 05-09-2005 09:10 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 05-09-2005 06:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

=D

Gomu Gomu no.....
Gomu Gomu no.....
PostPosted: 05-10-2005 01:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

-An eyeful a day is bloody fantastic!-

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.