Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Missing Textures on a server but not locally...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Missing Textures on a server but not locally...

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-16-2005 09:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was gonna try this in server admins but thought I'd have more luck here...

We have a few maps that run on our server that are missing textures, but if we play the same maps on our own machine (single player) the textures are there. :icon27:

The worst one is map-axzctf2.

When it runs our on public server (65.125.236.60:27961) it is missing an assload of textures.
There's an error message in the console that says...
Warning: R-FindImageFile could not find 'textures/common/portal.tga' in shader 'textures/common/timportal' Shader textures/common/timportal has a stage with no image.

At first glance, it appears to be an error with the map right?

But, the public server and my own machine have the exact same map file. (I've overwritten the one on the server with my own) And yet we still have missing textures on the server but not in a local game.

Any ideas?

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 04-16-2005 10:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is the server running a mod and if so, does the mod folder contain pk3s with shader scripts in them?

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-16-2005 11:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes the server is running a mod. OSP 1.03a

The only pk3s in there are the zz-osp-pak0 through zz-osp-pak3 and zz-osp-server0 through zz-osp-server3a I'm not certain if these have shader scripts in them or not.

I unpacked zz-osp-pak0 and I do see textures in there but I'm not certain how to identify a "shader script"

I'm not in to editing or map making so I dont even know what a shader script is :confused:

Swift and Deadly
Swift and Deadly
PostPosted: 04-16-2005 11:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What is most likely happening, is that you locally have the textures needed, in different pk3's of maps you already have, which are supposed to be in the map pak. So most likely, that is why it is showing up locally for you and not on the server.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-16-2005 12:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You might be on to somethng Roughrider. I found an article by the author that says the map uses some threewave textures.
He makes reference to needing, "the threewave map pack".

I'm assuming that means twpak0.pk3...

I'm U/Ling it now but its gonna take a while.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-16-2005 12:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yup! That was the file with the missing textures. Thanks guys!

Swift and Deadly
Swift and Deadly
PostPosted: 04-17-2005 01:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Np.
Most texture errors occur when the author has either 1). forgot to include them or 2). They used tex's from other map paks.
In either case, is usually easy to fix.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-18-2005 07:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Really,?
While we're on the subject then, I have noticed on some other servers that the award icons do not display properly. Like, I'll get an "impressive, but then there's just a grey box there. Any idea what file is missing?

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 04-19-2005 05:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

may not be missing the file just another map or pk3 has the same texture or filename and it's messing up that map.
you may not have the texture from the other map,the one your not playing on.

the watching eye
the watching eye
PostPosted: 04-19-2005 02:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is caused by the original 3wave mappack in most cases. It contains a number of textures which are placed in the original Q3 folderstructure (base/trim, etc.) and so many mappers have mistakenly used those textures without including them in their pk3's. One of the most well known examples of this is (the original) Japanese Castles. The only solution is to have that pk3 placed on the server, because of pure server issues.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.