Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Rol + Transformers + Mappers

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Rol + Transformers + Mappers

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 06-29-2008 02:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey all,

Just wanted to post about a mod project me and some friends worked on a while back. You can grab it here http://predaconempire.com/g_rol.html There are a few stages you need to follow to install the game but it works pretty much like ioquake 3 :).

Anyhow about the game:-

It is a 3rd person shooter based on Transformers Generation 1 (80's style)

There is still a lot to finish so expect bugs but it has a hefty amount of features working including scriptable weapons, transform mode, custom graphics, levels animations etc... The game is not balanced so expect certain classes to be ridiculously powered. If anyone is handy with notepad try opening rol_classes / rol_weapons and have some fun. We are trying to make the project modder friendly.

I'd love it if anyone would be interested in helping out with the game / mod. We are especially in need of some level artists and as usual coders.

The agenda we are working to includes

1) balancing game play
2) creating a giant robot mode (similar to king of the hill with planets etc...)
3) tidy up the levels.

I'm currently making Unicron for the new game mode. Quake 3 limitations are proving a bit of a bugger but its still fun.

So erm ye try the game, flame the game, help make the game. Lemme know what ya think

Last edited by RolShowster on 08-14-2018 01:50 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-01-2008 09:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The HUD font looks rubbish.

I looked at some more screenshots on the site: The skins should look clean not like they've been dug out of the ground: http://predaconempire.com/content/games ... ot0012.jpg

I also think the textures could do with having a clean new look to them. In the cartoons everything always looked new and slick. It was about high-tech efficient stuff, not battered old rubbish :)

Anyway it seems most textures and skins in FPSs have a worn down and dirty damaged look to them, so you aren't doing anything out of the ordinary, but not only is that something I dislike about FPSs, it's made worse in this case by the contrast your mod has with the slick look of the original cartoon.

I mean, in the cartoon, you have things like a brand new-looking Porche, you wouldn't want to replace that with a damaged old, dirty looking one, would you?

Anyway, even if you go with the conventional distressed look, when your mod is finished I'd be interested in playing some multiplayer with it cause transforming could provide some interesting gameplay (if done right :) )

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 07-01-2008 01:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

why do you have to write "energy" and "health"? everybodo knows what these colours mean.

use symbols instead.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-01-2008 06:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey Showster! I guess you decided to get rid of all the other characters and make it just Transformers, thats cool, I'm sure it makes things a heck of a lot easier. I haven't had a chance to check out the mod yet but the screenshots look really cool, I'm glad you are making it modder friendly, I plan on checking out those classes. I think the skins look cool all worn and scratched, do whatever style you think looks best. I am still learning the basics of gtk radiant so I can't offer my help just yet but maybe I'll contact you one day, quite busy at the moment. I would definitely like to ask you some modding questions in the near future, such as getting new weapons in game and programming them.
Cheers!

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-02-2008 10:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

st3ady wrote:
Hey Showster! I guess you decided to get rid of all the other characters and make it just Transformers,

That reminds me of what an Id software staff member said before; that if you are going to take inspiration from other IP*, you should take it from a variety of sources, i.e different IPs. Taking it from just one tends to get the mod shut down due to copyright claims.

* Intellectual Property

Since you are making the models yourself you have the opportunity to come up with your own character creations rather than use the Transformers ones. I suggest going with that and working the transforming into some interesting gameplay.

Also I agree with Pext that you should use symbols rather than words for the HUD.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-24-2008 09:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tah for the comments guys :), hopefully the artwork will be cleaned up somewhat. Just need to find a few people to help out.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.