Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        AEglow alpha - Discussions II (continued)

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: AEglow alpha - Discussions II (continued)

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 08-19-2005 11:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The original thread is still up @ AEglow alpha - Discussions (was D3 now Q3A)... so all that feedback is still available...

Here the last shots I had been working on...

Edit: Above are experimental prototype shots that do NOT make up an actual map. The colors are also an experiment, see next shot for actual map images and colors.

Will post new shots as soon as they become available.

Last edited by AEon on 08-30-2005 02:51 AM, edited 2 times in total.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 08-20-2005 04:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The bottom left shot reminds me of AEtime (which is a nice map). :) Btw i think AEarcs is your most amazing map (it plays nice in CPMA, you can DJ the arcs). :)

Last edited by Oeloe on 08-21-2005 01:55 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Holy Fucking Shit
Holy Fucking Shit
PostPosted: 08-20-2005 05:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that is very nice :icon14: Can't wait for the release :)

Last edited by CrinklyArse on 08-31-2005 03:37 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 08-20-2005 11:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oeloe wrote:
The bottom left shot reminds me of AEtime (which is a nice map). :) Btw i think AEcurves is your most amazing map (it plays nice in CPMA, you can DJ the arcs). :)

You mean AEarcs? IIRC in the very beginning I did call it AEcurves, but that was ages ago. If so glad that map is still fun.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 08-21-2005 01:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah i meant AEarcs (i checked the filename but typed what i thought it was called. :dork: ). Really a one of a kind map, like many of your creations. :)

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 08-21-2005 03:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:)... glad you liked it. I always liked the map for the more "generous" layout and some of the nice Brasilia-like designs. I never was so sure about the gameplay aspect of it though.

Last edited by AEon on 08-12-2009 11:49 PM, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Typo fixed.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 08-21-2005 02:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AEon wrote:
I never was so sure about the gameplay aspect of it though.
I can imagine. :icon26: It's quite huge, even for a FFA map.

I just read through the entire old thread you linked to in your first post. Very interesting material. :)

Btw did you know Valve made HL2 DM after all? I thought before it shipped with CS:S only and TF:S and DoD:S for the gold/platinum edition or whatever, but the normal retail version includes HL2DM. :icon14: I'm gonna get myself a copy from ebay soon. :)

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 08-21-2005 02:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I find the purple in the first set of shots to be kinda iffy (and I normally love purple)--it just doesn't go well with the orange-y scheme IMO. I don't see purple in the second set and they look better without it.

Gorgeous map.

Beta/link/ETA/something?

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 08-21-2005 04:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I STILL don't like that env map for that map, its to detailed, and the cliffs doesen't match the maps theme at all I think, create a blocky skyportal I say... something TRON alike maybe...

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 08-21-2005 11:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@Oeloe,
initially I wanted to do a new map for HL2DM, so I was aware of it, called AEcantw2 (canyon tower 2)... but since HL2DM just does not really inspire me to map, I will be releasing that map for q3a pretty soon. Along with AEsafe (sock's test map).

@pjw
the purple shot was in there just for the fun of it. I will be going with the colors of the last shot, orange, white and light blue. IMO orange and white are definately in, and the light blue may still change.

@Hipshot
just played your map "Prayers Nest II" and looked at the source of your map. Very interesting how you covered the stairs with botclip. I am normally even more radial covering everything in playerclip. And I also looked at the way you added fog to the bottom of you map, at the suggestion of Todtsteltzer, because the AEsafe map really should have something like fog the the bottom of the map.

About the skybox... you are probably right. But I love lava ;)... Since I still have no idea where aeglow will actually go, a lot may yet be changed. If you find a good skybox feel free to point it out. Personally I would not want a city scape, I prefer a more opened up view outside.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-22-2005 12:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i love your work!

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-22-2005 06:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Very nice.
A bit Las Vegas-ish :)

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 08-26-2005 03:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sigh, third time now... wanna use this sky?
[lvlshot]http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/3498/violenttemp7lm.jpg[/lvlshot]
I'm gonna release this and a few others soon (all at the same time), but you can have it before that...

If the forum borks again, I'll wait 300 weeks before postin' in this thread again.

diabolical besier hugger in disguise
diabolical besier hugger in disguise
PostPosted: 08-26-2005 05:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I havent looked at the map through quake3, i should get some sleep right now.. but judging from the shots, i somehowly think its pretty nice, but on the other hand i'd tend to think its absolute crap, especialy because the neon-ish glows distract the eye from the architecture, which is placed rather carelessly i think, just to fit within the map, not to fit within the look

sorry drunk, will revise this post if i cant make out the meaning of it myself tomorow

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-27-2005 06:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hipshot wrote:
Sigh, third time now... wanna use this sky?...

This sky looks great, Hipshot! :icon14: (second time for me ;))

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 08-27-2005 07:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hipshot,

Todt was right, I changed my pw here yesterday, and now the old pw is back, so a rollback did happen. Please send the PM again, if you will.

The sky looks very cool...

Only downside... I still have the problem with the ugly edges in skyboxes, the ATI driver issue IIRC, and that will messup the nice skybox. But will use your skybox for the next screenshots, so that everyone can check on how it works with AEglow.

BTW... do you have a skybox shader for that skybox?

BTW2: downloaded and tested your first q3a map tvy-bench.rar... very cool... the way half-life 2 should have looked :)... incidentally you may want to mention on your site that folks need to change /com_hunkMegs from default 56 to 64 to make the map load at all (Tested this on my clean install).

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 08-27-2005 09:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Æ, well, the PM was that I was gonna give you the sky before I released them, but then the forum crashed and I got tired of that shit and meanwhile the forum was broke I finished the rest of the skies, so I released them on other sites, I relased them all here too, check the thread.

Yea, many people thought, well, everyone that I didn't tell that it was Q3, that it was made with the leaked source version, the map still looks very good when you open it inside Q3, still very detailed and advanced...
True, I need to mention that about the hunkmegs, the thing is that I haver never suffered from that error.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 08-28-2005 01:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hipshot wrote:
True, I need to mention that about the hunkmegs, the thing is that I haver never suffered from that error.

You probably have a very old install of Q3A (not the version number, but you installed it a long time ago). IIRC there were other maps and mods that required a change in com_hunkMegs, possibly you upped that value then.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 08-28-2005 02:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Heh you are probably right, my instal is from 2001, so I guess its there in my confg... ;)

blaze a blaze
blaze a blaze
PostPosted: 08-28-2005 02:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pjw wrote:
Beta/link/ETA/something?

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 08-28-2005 02:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lukin wrote:
pjw wrote:
Beta/link/ETA/something?

Alas, since I am not in map crunch mode, can't fully concentrate on mapping for some reason, no ETA... I hope to have some more screenshots out this coming week though.

Multidirectional
Multidirectional
PostPosted: 08-29-2005 05:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hey wtf.. i posted in this thhread already... whered it go?

Was going to say aeon, theres some yellow trims missing on the base of walls like like c/d in pic one... compared to c/d in pic 2.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 08-30-2005 02:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maybe I should have made this clearer:

The first screenshot is no map at all. Strictly experimental tests in designs that will possibly be used in the map later on. These prototypess have been arbitrarily placed and don't make up anything at all. Only the shots in the 2nd screenshot hint at something like a real map. So the 1st shot won't be consistant obviously.

I now have a pretty good idea on how to use all the prototypes and how the gameflow could work. Hope to get to it put together this week.

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 08-30-2005 11:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I actually that whole thing that the quad is sitting on alot.

blaze a blaze
blaze a blaze
PostPosted: 08-30-2005 01:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This thread has over 20 replies (plus many more that disappeared) and you AEon did not even started to make this map :olo:

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 08-30-2005 01:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Complie that shit i wanna run around on it.. >:E

It curdled, and then I couldn't drink it. So I mixed it with some water, and it was alright again.

I am now sick.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 08-31-2005 02:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lukin,
that is the reason this is a Dicussion II thread ;)

I already got very valuable feedback, that IMO certainly improved the alpha: A spanking new skybox, and thanx to the Obsitian info from the q3map2 shader manual I am using the latest and "nicest" options for skybox lighting.

SOAPboy,
irconically I could hand out a new pk3 every day. since my pk3's are always complete. I do not pack them at the last second, I never test anything but up to date pk3 files. But it would be a huge disappointment and a waste of bandwidth, since the map is basically just that one "room".

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 08-31-2005 02:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thats one map that needs some bloom for once.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 08-31-2005 03:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:

Bloom? Info to that / link?

I am ready to try new things... I already read up on _skybox (sky portals) and will try that soon.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 08-31-2005 03:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, dont worry, you cant just add bloom to a map. its a post process effect ;)

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 08-31-2005 04:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AEon wrote:
Lukin,
that is the reason this is a Dicussion II thread ;)

I already got very valuable feedback, that IMO certainly improved the alpha: A spanking new skybox, and thanx to the Obsitian info from the q3map2 shader manual I am using the latest and "nicest" options for skybox lighting.

SOAPboy,
irconically I could hand out a new pk3 every day. since my pk3's are always complete. I do not pack them at the last second, I never test anything but up to date pk3 files. But it would be a huge disappointment and a waste of bandwidth, since the map is basically just that one "room".

Still be fun to piss around with bro

It curdled, and then I couldn't drink it. So I mixed it with some water, and it was alright again.

I am now sick.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-31-2005 05:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AEon wrote:
o'dium wrote:

Bloom? Info to that / link?

I am ready to try new things... I already read up on _skybox (sky portals) and will try that soon.

http://www.nexuiz.com/forums/lofiversio ... p/t52.html

Works similar to the gaussian blur just for for lights and bright (fx) textures, very nice effect indeed.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 08-31-2005 09:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sumatra,
yeah! I always liked bloom in game like Tron. But I was not aware this was possible in q3a. If this indeed is possible for Q3A and someone knows of a tutorial, I'll add it.

The only "cheapo bloom" AEglow has sofar are the autosprites.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-31-2005 12:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
lol, dont worry, you cant just add bloom to a map. its a post process effect ;)

[cough]Quake3 source code[/cough] :D

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-31-2005 12:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

UP TO NOW it is not "possible", but if some nifty guy could add things like this to the source, everyone should be happy.
(dunno if there are big performance hits though, in Nexuiz it seems so)

Finally I want to see/feel your map flowing on my system.
When do we get your first alpha?

sum

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.