Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Working with Radiant and dual displays

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Working with Radiant and dual displays

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 04-19-2005 02:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Recently I set up a new LCD monitor that I will be using for all of my mapping, graphic, and other multimedia applications. However, I have run into a problem with Radiant while using it on my LCD monitor. Whenever I right click in the 3D view so that I can navigate through a map my cursor moves to the edge of my second (CRT) monitor, resulting in the 3D view rapidly moving around. I think this is due to the fact that my LCD, which Radiant is running on, is on the left of my CRT and when you right click in the 3D view Radiant hides the cursor and displays the cross by moving the cursor off the screen to the right. However, in my case moving the cursor to the right where the desktop would normally end actually moves the cursor to the second monitor.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? If you have, or even if you haven't, any information on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, running Radiant on the CRT isn't really an option as it is much smaller than my LCD and switching their positions is not very perferable.

Again, thanks for your time and help in advance.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-20-2005 06:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Welcome Xenethyl to Q3W LEM!

Which version of Radiant are you using?
What kind of video card do you have?

I'm currently using both GtkRadiant 1.4.0 and 1.5.0 as well as the Doom editor with a nVidia 6800GT. I've never had any problems like that.

On my older computer, I was using 1.4.0 with a TnT2 and a GeForceMX 440 (PCI) for dual monitors and no problems with that either.

Check for latest public drivers released for your video card.

Also, check your mouse settings. Maybe it has something to do with mouse acceleration or another one of those options?

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 04-20-2005 07:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks obsidian. I've been browsing the forums off and on for a while and just now decided to register. It's a great community that you guys have here.

I'm currently running an older 17" CRT as my primary monitor and a Dell 2001FP as my secondary monitor. The 2001FP is currently on the left of my CRT monitor and both are hooked up to my ATI Radeon X800 Pro. I'm using GtkRadiant 1.4.0. Also, all of my drivers are up to date (5.4's). I'm not quite sure how mouse acceleration would present a problem in Radiant but I guess it's a possibility.

Thanks for the welcoming as well as the ideas.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 04-20-2005 08:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't know how relavant this is on the new cards of today but Radiants 3D window used to be quite fussy about 'where' it was placed, it always need to be somewhere on the primary display. iirc it had something to do with OpenGL at the time not really liking multi monitors. Try that out (if not already) and see what happens.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 04-20-2005 10:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip Kat. That seems like a likely cause of my current problem. However, when you say that I should try moving the 3D view to my primary monitor I would have to move the entire Radiant window to my primary monitor as well, right? Is there a way to detach the views so that I can move just the 3D view to my primary monitor?

Edit: I just switched which monitor was set as the primary (so that my LCD was the primary) and the problem still occured. I think it has more to do with the 3D view needing to be on the last monitor on the right.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 04-20-2005 10:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh right sorry... I alwasys assume that people are in 'windowed mode' 'coz that's the one I use.!!

Actually that's possibly why you have got problems.. if you use more than one monitor Radiant tends to work better in 'windowed' mode. Go into preferences and click on the 'windowed' layout from the four options you've got, you may need to restart but on doing that you'll find that all the viewports are in their own window. By default it's 3D, grid (top) and z axis viewports (iirc) but you can add or remove them as needed from the 'view' menu. Just then move the 3D camera view onto your primary monitor.

It's a different layoput than you may be used to but it works better for multi setups. Ctrl+TAB toggles axis (front, side, top) in the Grid window btw.

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 04-20-2005 10:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you can detach whatever section you need in radiant, unless I'm thinking of something different. Check out the prefrences in Radiant's menu...can't tell you exaclty where to look b/c I don't have access to it, but check that out and you should be able to move it where ever ya need.

edit: i've been beat. :drool:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-20-2005 12:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not using windowed mode, I'm using the quad view on 2 17" CRT's and I'm not having any problems here. [lvlshot]http://members.lycos.co.uk/quakeroats/q3wtemp/05042001.jpg[/lvlshot]

Maybe it's an ATI thing? Or possibly because you have 2 monitors at different resolutions?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-20-2005 06:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

BTW, see this thread. It may be related to your problem:

http://www.quake3world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1238

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 04-20-2005 08:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
..Maybe it's an ATI thing?
May very well be.. ATI has had all sorts of issues with GTK and Radiant in the past so that shouldn't be counted out as a possible problem.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 04-21-2005 11:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have a similar setup - x800whatever and 2 LCD's, one of them an FP2001. I'm able to run Doomedit and GTK Rad in windowed mode with the editor stretched across 2 monitors, and it doesn't seem to matter where the 3d window is.

Just sharing...

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 04-21-2005 08:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions Kat and bork[e]. Running Radiant in the detached mode does solve my problem but I would still like to keep my current setup until I know that this isn't a solvable problem. I may have to use this (detached) setup until a solution is found, though, so thanks for the tips.

I looked through that thread and did a little testing regarding it, obsidian, but didn't come up with any results relating to my problem. Good idea though.

Also, as for the speculation that this is an ATI problem, I don't think that it is. I had a friend of mine test this problem who is running an Nvidia card with dual displays (under the same primary and secondary monitor settings) and he experienced the same problem in the same version of Radiant. At this point I think it's a problem within the actual program rather than a problem with our computers.

Your input is appreciated unitool, however I think my problem resides in the fact that my primary monitor is the right one while my secondary monitor, which I am mapping on, is on the left. I assume your primary monitor is on the left?

Lastly, I just wanted to add that if I run Radiant in windowed mode (not the detached layout option, just a non-maximized window) the problem occurs in a slightly different way. When I right click in the 3D view my cursor jumps out of Radiant to the very edge of the window. So in reality, the problem isn't that my cursor is jumping to my second monitor when I run Radiant in full-screen mode, but rather that the cursor is jumping out of the window (in the same manner that it does if I run Radiant in windowed mode) but there is no more space on the desktop of my LCD so it moves to the CRT. Both instances of the problem are the same, it's just that when I experience it with Radiant maximized the cursor is forced to the second monitor because there is no more room on the first.

If anyone wants to try and reproduce this problem I'm running two monitors, the one on the left is the secondary and the one on the right is the primary. The one on the left, which I am running Radiant on, is set at a resolution of 1600x1200 and the one on the right is set at 1024x768. Both monitors are plugged into an ATI Radeon X800 Pro on DVI (LCD) and analog (CRT) connections. I would appreciate any results that you recieve upon testing Radiant in full-screen mode with any layout that doesn't consist of detached views.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-22-2005 05:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You still haven't told us what version of Radiant you are using. If it's an older version, it's very likely that the problem is already fixed in newer versions.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 04-22-2005 07:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes he has. :P
Second post, GtkRadiant 1.4

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 04-23-2005 07:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm currently using GtkRadiant 1.4.0. I probably could have set it apart from the rest of the text so it was easier to find, my appologies for that.

I'm still caught up on the fact that my cursor jumps out of the 3D view and moves itself right on the edge of the window just outside the 3D view. Switching my primary monitor to the LCD (which is currently set on secondary and is on the left) doesn't solve the problem. Consequently, I would assume that the problem is resulting from the physical orientation of my monitors (secondary on the left, primary on the right, running Radiant on the left) rather than their specific primary and secondary settings.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.