Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Weapon Shaders. : [

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Weapon Shaders. : [

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-21-2005 05:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey, guys? Is there any way to get a weapon with a shader working, so that map lighting works with it? This sounds vague, so let me show you what I mean.

Normal view without the shader, and just a skin. The red glow from the teleporter appears on the RL.
Third person view.

Now, when I put my shader on the rocket launcher, the map lighting stops working. : [
Third person view.

models/weapons2/rocketl/rocketl
{
{
map textures/effects/rocketl.jpg
}
{
map textures\effects\newTeleporteffect3.jpg
blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE
rgbGen entity
tcMod scale .3 1
tcMod scroll -1 -5
}

}

Why is it acting so screwy? : (((

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 04-21-2005 06:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Change rgbGen entity to rgbGen identityLighting.

PS1: don't use backslashes in filenames.
PS2: the image suffix should be tga even if it's a JPEG.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-21-2005 08:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

: [ That didn't do it. It still looks the same, but now the script looks like this:

models/weapons2/rocketl/rocketl
{
{
map textures/effects/rocketl.tga
rgbGen identityLighting
}
{
map textures/effects/newTeleporteffect3.tga
blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE
rgbGen identityLighting
tcMod scale .3 1
tcMod scroll -1 -5
}

}

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-21-2005 09:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dis you remove the double slash "//" in front of "models" in your shaderlist file?

Been a long time but I seem to remember something about having to remove them in order to make custom model shaders work.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-21-2005 09:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Shaderlist file? Whats that?

Would that have anything to do with why my gauntlet shader is not working, either?

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-21-2005 09:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In C:\Program Files\Quake III Arena\baseq3\scripts\... there's a file called 'shaderlist.txt'.

This is where all shader files are 'called'.

In order for shaders to work they must be mentioned here.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-22-2005 05:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v406/Ganemi/scripts.jpg

Yeah...that sounds like why I can't get my gauntlet's new shader to work. I can't find that file though.

It doesn't seem like the cause of this problem, though. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but it looks like the part that tells the skin to be "maped" again
Code:
{
map textures/effects/rocketl.jpg
}

covers the whole map lighting up.

HeEeEeEeEeLp!! This is really bugging me.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-22-2005 06:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Shader Manual:

rgbGen lightingDiffuse
Colors are computed using a standard diffuse lighting equation. It uses the vertex normals to illuminate the object correctly.

Design Notes:
rgbGen lightingDiffuse is used when you want the RGB values to be computed for a dynamic model (i.e. non-map object) in the world using regular in-game lighting. For example, you would specify on shaders for items, characters, weapons, etc.

Is this what you're looking for?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-22-2005 07:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I thought that wasn't working when I first loaded CTF4, but I was surprised to see that it did work very well. Thank you very much, $NulL.

One more question, though...is there a way to get a shader working for my gauntlet?

From Polycount:
Quote:

Today, I realized that I had this model that I made, stashed somewhere on my hard drive, since last january. Now that I've find it, I'm going to try to skin it again. I really don't know how to skin any model that I make, though. Apparantly I need a UV map, so I can skin it.
(I'm going to skin the handle, and put a shader on the sword part, but I need a skin for the sword to have a shader on it)

Can someone please help me? : [

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.