Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Southeastern mappers/teachers?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 04-23-2005 11:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just pick up some tutorials online, or better yet, get Ut2k4 Editors Choice and watch the fabulous video training modules it comes with :paranoid:

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 04-24-2005 06:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://www.levelsource.com > redfellas > tutorials

World-reknown first class nub tuts. Hf.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 04-24-2005 06:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol. not everything in your tuts are the best way of construction.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 04-24-2005 07:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fjoggs wrote:
lol. not everything in your tuts are the best way of construction.

Yea, unfortunately I am aware of that. I made them awhile ago... Before I became aware of better, slicker production methods. Namely, the non-orthgonal room tutorial needs to be completely redone - that's a big mess as it stands now.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 04-24-2005 08:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hehe, it won't take long, and it can help newbies. My advice would be get it done as quickly as poss. ;)

Swift and Deadly
Swift and Deadly
PostPosted: 04-24-2005 10:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hrrm. If I lived closer to you, I prolly could be bribed into showing up if a case of beer or some pr0n women were there, but alas, I live farther then 6 hours from you :P .

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 04-24-2005 11:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pay my flight, and I'll be there ! :p

diabolical besier hugger in disguise
diabolical besier hugger in disguise
PostPosted: 04-24-2005 04:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the most important thing is getting to know the editor, and finaly getting your own smooth "way of the mapperai" , you cant learn all in just one weekend, you're in-editor "movement and doings"-speed cant keep up with the level that you want to be taught at, just lay back and give it the time that it needs, fool around, dont start a map when you start to learn, start with a room, edit it, rebuild it, and scratch that, and go make an area thats not just a room thats not as ugly as the thing from before.

and a personal thought: dont try to make a spacemap.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 04-24-2005 04:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Building on what corsair said.... Always, always, always, ditch your first map.

Heres what I do when I approach mapping for a new engine/game:

1) make a couple test maps that focus on any new things that I may be unfamiliar with

2) make a "first map" that is a basically just a slammed together, half-assed attempt at making a map from start to finish utilizing the new tech

3) create my REAL first map, and do it correctly.

This method has worked for me a numerous amount of times, and should work for anyone getting into a new engine/game or mapping for the first time.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 04-25-2005 08:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

FFS guys, this isnt General, This isnt R&R.. take you're shit elsewhere borke

It curdled, and then I couldn't drink it. So I mixed it with some water, and it was alright again.

I am now sick.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-25-2005 08:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's quite enough from either of you. LEM isn't the place for this.

Thanks SOAPboy.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 04-26-2005 12:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
That's quite enough from either of you. LEM isn't the place for this.

Thanks SOAPboy.

NP, i really like this forum, i see alot of neat shit being made and enjoy tricking on some of the maps that get shown.. it just sucks when people fuck it up..

bork[e] wrote:
riddla wrote:
fuck off troll wannabe.

I'm not trolling dude, I'm giving what you asked for...the piddla remark was a fucking joke. :icon27: Don't get your fucking panies in a wad... :shrug:

Explain (in qwfix or something) why you were being a prick in every post back to him then.. Seriously, just stop, drop it, and move on..

It curdled, and then I couldn't drink it. So I mixed it with some water, and it was alright again.

I am now sick.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-26-2005 06:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This discussion is over. Whether or not you were joking is besides the point. This is a technical forum so keep your comments strictly technical or take it somewhere else.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 04-26-2005 06:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

corsair wrote:
the most important thing is getting to know the editor, and finaly getting your own smooth "way of the mapperai" , you cant learn all in just one weekend, you're in-editor "movement and doings"-speed cant keep up with the level that you want to be taught at, just lay back and give it the time that it needs, fool around, dont start a map when you start to learn, start with a room, edit it, rebuild it, and scratch that, and go make an area thats not just a room thats not as ugly as the thing from before.

and a personal thought: dont try to make a spacemap.

:icon14:

also, someone suggested here recently that making 'components' for a map was a good way to get started.

can definitely second that - making yourself a 'toolkit' of prefabs or bits of maps that can be cut'n'pasted into other maps teaches you a lot about mapping and using the editor - it also means that in the future you can work a lot faster, which is handy if you've got an idea to get out and can't be arsed to spend a long time fiddling with minutae.

Swift and Deadly
Swift and Deadly
PostPosted: 04-28-2005 03:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thread cleaned up. Misc bullshit posts removed.
People want to flame, troll, talk shit or otherwise that doesnt meet this forum standards, take it to R&R.

And if you have trouble understanding that, keep fucking around and you'll be banned from this forum.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 05-15-2005 08:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fjoggs wrote:

fjoggs i think your mapping may scare him

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 05-16-2005 02:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

well, you could come up here to Raleigh, might take you 16-18 hours or so (guessing)... but I'd help you. :)

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 05-17-2005 02:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Amorak2 wrote:
Fjoggs wrote:

fjoggs i think your mapping may scare him

What do you mean? :paranoid:

Lasery Roboty
Lasery Roboty
PostPosted: 05-17-2005 05:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's too good, incomprehensible for mere americans. :D

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.