Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        SolarAE - Solar - AEon's Edit - Final!

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: SolarAE - Beta 2 d/l

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-22-2009 01:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I actually contributed something useful :ducky: One last thing, this time it's no criticism: whatever you change, keep the free space underneath the teleport ventilation shaft! :smirk: I suddenly caught myself pumping grenades into it (since there's no weapon clip) standing next to the teleporter and waiting for killing myself because there's not enough space inside that ventilation shaft to NOT hurt yourself with grenade splash damage... it's been a long day...

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 09-23-2009 12:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:)... the ventilator under the TP will stay. I wonder if any of the wall fans need to be weapon clipped... the grate floors are already clipped, because you need to be able to splash damage your opponents.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 09-23-2009 11:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whenever hinting does not get you there, a change in geometry will usually help. The main problematic area in the map is up near the YA looking into the RL arena, especially right into the TP room. So I closed off the direct path under the stairs to the SG, and cut a new passage into the wall next to the tube connecting the RL arena with the Quad. This helped reduce the r_speed, but alas it is still around 11K max. IMO, this also makes the pathing a bit better:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-24-2009 02:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

First of all, really a great piece of work you did.
Had no games on it yet, but I noticed several things:

- The weaponspawnpoints of the LG and the SG are not plain. So if you jump, you can possibly get caught at the edge by pickung up a weapon. That slows down and is annoying IMO.
Maybe you can make those nonsolid or even plain (visualwise make it better nonsolid).

- I think the Jumppad fans move rather slowly. I saw this has already been mentioned yet.
IMO those could get a faster spin to look more realistic.

- The texture of the old Teleporter exit at the PG is confusing. There is no Tele exit anymore, am I right? So I think you should adapt this plate.

- I would put his RA closer the tele as well. Evne switch it with the SG. So you would have more place to fight around RA and the spot is also more dangerous to camp in.

So, now I'm gonna check it out with bots.
Maybe I can come up with some further feedback.

sum

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 09-24-2009 02:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

IMO the ra/tele room is way too easy to control and it will be hard sneaking a ra from there. When moving it even closer to the tele it's almost impossible since all entrances can be covered easily and the drop from above is not possible anymore.

Btw. I still totally dislike your two-way teleporter. Either make it way more clear and visible it has two exists oder just get rid of that stupid (no offense) idea.
While playing it yesterday a quad spawned in the bottom of the map. While I did not play in duel mode (ffa it was) I really hope you already deactivated it for tourney play.

Visually I really like the map (as always when hipshot is involved), maybe it's a tad too reddish all over the place (like sock already mentioned). Also is was quite dark on my machine especially in the darker corners.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 09-24-2009 03:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@sumatra
The weaponspawnpoints of the LG and the SG are not plain.
Fixed this for the SG... I thought it was clipped but stuck out. For the LG... well it is on a mini dirt mount... not sure what to do here... unless I clip the complete LG arena floor. Hmmm.

I think the Jumppad fans move rather slowly.
Fixed... they now spin 2.5 times as fast, and the "fog" above the TPs rotates faster accordingly.

The texture of the old Teleporter exit at the PG is confusing.
The TP is split and has two exits, near the GL and one near the PG.

I would put his RA closer the tele as well. Even switch it with the SG.
I see I need to release a final beta, I changed the access to the RA, so "camping" there might actually have become *very* viable. Hmmm...

@maz0r
TP 2 exits
Funny how everyone understands the split TP, but still hates it... just learn to use it, nothing to it. The weapon pad texture plates behind the TP effect hint at the exists and so do the exit TP textures.

While playing it yesterday a quad spawned in the bottom of the map. While I did not play in duel mode (ffa it was) I really hope you already deactivated it for tourney play.
Was that ever possible? From the editor code "notfree" will turn off the Quad for FFA *and* Tournament. If everyone agrees to turn off the Quad for Tournament, and tells me the proper key, I'll turn off the Quad for Tourney.

Reddish
I really don't know what the issue here is, the map is almost completely grey/brown, the only color are the red textures. I can agree that the RA room is a bit over the top. To quieten the whining, the next beta will include a map-solarae_soil.pk3 that features a toned down version of the terrain textures. So you can use those if you prefer, or delete the .pk3 to play with the original textures.

Also is was quite dark on my machine especially in the darker corners.
Hmmm... in that case many custom maps must be way too dark on your machine. What areas are too dark exactly?

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 09-24-2009 07:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Solar - AEon's Edit - r116 Beta 3 (last beta)

Changes:
  • JP fans run 2.5 times faster.
  • The AP to the MH now features a whooshing sound (idea from Pat's phtourney1) , using RL sound.
  • Removed two of the metal planks, one above the LG arena, one near the 50H.
  • New entrance to RA room added, closed off the more direct path under the stairs.
  • New TP effect added (thanks Hipshot), louder water dripping sound, changed window height.
  • Windows in RA room closed off, did not yield anything visually, just wasted FPS.
  • Added a bit more ammo.
  • Actually, finally wrote proper readme files.
  • Featuring a map-solarae_soil.pk3 archive with darker toned down red soil textures. Delete this file if you want to play with the original textures, those I prefer.

Download:
      map-solarae_r116_beta3.zip (8.21 MB) @ hugelaser.com
      (Install: Unpack the .zip into your baseq3\ folder, run the map via in-game skirmish button.)

This is the last beta... unless I am overlooking some serious issues, the map will be released in the next update.

Note: Even though you can play this map in Tourney mode and in Team FFA, it is intended for "fun" FFA.

Hipshot if you have the time, please take a look if you can "live with" this release. Please also read the .txt files, to check if the wording agrees with you.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 11-15-2009 02:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I can probably release a final of this map pretty soon.

Hipshot, would it be OK if I used some of your Solar textures in AEdm7? I noted that both maps have a similar theme, and e.g. that gate "5" texture and a few others would really help make the map more diverse. I'm also thinking of using "my" JP effect from SolarAE in AEdm7 as well, fans as JPs.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 11-16-2009 06:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AEon wrote:
a) Compiling Solar with my default compile options, leads to quite interestingly full colors:
    -light -v -fast -patchshadows -samples 2 -bounce 8 -shade -threads 1

b) Here the light compile as Hipshot intended the lighting:
    -light -v -fast -patchshadows -samples 2 -bounce 8 -gamma 2.5 -compensate 3 -threads 1

Have you tried adding -dirty? The ambient occlusion lighting gives a sweet contrast boost to the maps.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 11-16-2009 08:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ambient occlusion?

Presently using for SolarAE:
    -light -v -fast -patchshadows -samples 3 -bounce 8 -gamma 2.5 -compensate 3

For AEcantw2 and AEdm7 I am using:
    -light -v -fast -patchshadows -dark -samples 3 -bounce 8 -dirty -dirtscale 3 -dirtdepth 32

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 11-16-2009 02:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ambient oclusion = fancy name for "holes are darker" :P

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 12-04-2009 12:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

maz0r wrote:

Thanks to the things learned in updating the entities.def. I can now remove the Quad from the tourney mode. I'll be keeping it in FFA, but what about in Team DM? Do team players use the Quad?

I'm also thinking of adding some of the AEdm7 rock geometry (not the textures though) to a few areas... maybe.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 12-04-2009 02:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You should defenitely keep quad in TDM - it's the most important item in team games. If you look at popular team DM maps like q3dm7 itself, q3dm6 or q3dm14 you will notice there is a powerup in - dm14 has even two. Quad and armors in FFA and TDM - MH instead of quad in tourney.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 12-04-2009 02:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmm... would need to think what to put were the Quad is in Tourney mode... since the MH is already int the map. Maybe the MH moves where the Quad is in Tourney, and at the MH location just place a 50H or so.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-04-2009 06:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AEon wrote:
Hmm... would need to think what to put were the Quad is in Tourney mode... since the MH is already int the map. Maybe the MH moves where the Quad is in Tourney, and at the MH location just place a 50H or so.

That's probably best. Quad is usually way too overkill in tourney.

Team Event -O- Horizon

NoGhost Map Making Competition 2 (June 2010)

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 12-04-2009 11:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sounds like a nifty idea :)

What about doing it like this?:

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 12-05-2009 12:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AEon wrote:
I can probably release a final of this map pretty soon.

Hipshot, would it be OK if I used some of your Solar textures in AEdm7? I noted that both maps have a similar theme, and e.g. that gate "5" texture and a few others would really help make the map more diverse. I'm also thinking of using "my" JP effect from SolarAE in AEdm7 as well, fans as JPs.

Missed this, if you haven't already - you are allowed to use all my released textures in any map of yours however you want. Anyone can really... the only thing that annoys me is when people mix up the shader files, but I don't think you will =)

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 12-05-2009 02:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cityy,
those "ledges" are a design element, probably added by Hipshot to make the footprint on the floor more interesting than some straight wall. And I agree, thus never thought of changing that. On the opposing wall I did cut away some of the wall "columns" to add more movement space... though rethinking it I am not so sure. It's probably a good thing to have waited on a final release. I learned some new interesting things, and after several weeks one tends to see the map with "fresh" eyes. I might even create a rock face under the walkways here ;).

Hipshot,
thanks... though the only thing that did "wander" over to AEdm7 were the JP effects. And I discovered Tabun's DOOM gates that fit AEdm7 qutie well. Incidentally, the fan driven JPs in AEdm7, were actually what I hat initially planned to do in SolarAE, but there I did not want to cut up the huge floor brush to make that possible, so I went for those "mobile" smaller JP models.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 07-12-2012 11:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Taking a close look at the pretty finished version to released it on lvlworld, that way Hipshot's map will get a wider recognition it deserves... all be it in my "interpretation".

From a test run I do not really see what needs to be changed much. Looking into it now.

For those interested the Beta 3 download still works:

Solar - AEon's Edit - r116 Beta 3 (last beta)

Download:
      map-solarae_r116_beta3.zip (8.21 MB) @ hugelaser.com
      (Install: Unpack the .zip into your baseq3\ folder, run the map via in-game skirmish button.)

Anyone know if lvlworld can also accept two names as map authors?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-12-2012 02:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AEon wrote:
Anyone know if lvlworld can also accept two names as map authors?

Yes they can.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-13-2012 12:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow, I had never seen this map before. It looks really nice. Also love what you did with the jumppads.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 07-13-2012 02:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Felt it would be good to finally release the map. It's my favourite Hipshot map (the original)... and I always loved to go back and play against bots in it.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 07-13-2012 06:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I played beta 3 some more, there are a few things I think could use changing:

• I'd like to add some form of very low fog that looks like floating dust, to make the light cones more plausible for the lights in the LG arena. Trouble is I have no idea how. Suggestions appreciated.

• The Quad is still present in tourney, will have to remove it. IIRC that was possible for tourney only, or was it... forgot.

• The MH does not get collected by bots Anarki and Uriel. I looked into the bot files, and there is no entry to make bots go for the MH or RA specifically (will look into attractors again). Just generic Health and Armour settings (Anarki and Uriel have both set to 2). Tested Hunter (H2 A3) and Klesk (H3 A4)... but these played the map much weaker. So apparently the bots simply do not "trust" the AP in the LG arena to get to the MH. I noted that Hunter, always prefers the LG over the MH. Well to make the map a bit fresher, I am considering of adding some tubing up at the MH that lets the bots access the MH by "walking" there. Even a break in the wall near the MH is something I am thinking about.

• For FFA a third bot might up the action slightly, the LG obsessed Hunter might work.

• The TP room, IMO is too large, it is like a completely separate arena. Though the room is normally just used to grab the RA and then TP out again. Will make the room smaller.

• The water "puddle" near the RA, is another thing I am thinking of dropping. I never jump into the water there anyway, as a sound cue that someone is about to grab the RA.

• Some of the planks I added, that Hipshot never had, though I use them all the time, are are adding too much paths. E.g. those along the wall from the TP exit to the RG. In my mind a break in the MH wall might be a better alternate path.

Looks like there will be another beta :)... when playing the map I always had the feeling the pathing was not quite there, even with Hipshot's original. Maybe I just want to tamper with the map some more to add a certain level of newness to play with :-P

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-13-2012 06:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Do you have a link to the original, or was it never released?

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 07-13-2012 08:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Last edited by Theftbot on 01-11-2014 12:03 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 08-15-2012 01:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SolarAE - Solar - AEon's Edit - r128 (Final)

Last changes:
  • TP room was reduced in size.
  • Added extra tube for bots to get the MH (and shards) directly. Bots now actually use the AP to get to the MH.
  • Colour-coded the team location tags.
  • Added Klesk as a third FFA bot.
  • Removed the shortcut along the wall from the GL TP exit directly to the RG via metal planks. Messed with the layout too much.
  • Fixed a few more geometry inconsistencies, clipping, texturing.
  • Darker red sand textures are now the default ones.
  • Updated readme.

Download:
      map-solarae.zip (7.72 MB) @ hugelaser.com
      (Install: Unpack the .zip into your baseq3\ folder, run the map via single player menu, skirmish button. The BSP is named solarae.bsp.)

So, and another one of the maps I had pretty much finished editing in 2009, only took another more days to give it that final polish. The extra time might have been well spent to come up with those few changes... I hope.

Thanks for the support and feedback over all that time.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-15-2012 01:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just BEAUTIFUL!

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-16-2012 11:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I didn't see this one before. Looks promosing. I will check it out later.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-16-2012 10:48 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I played it. Absolutely phenomenal map.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 08-17-2012 02:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

amazing map man, great work. the effort has been worth it. added to collection. small question, did you use a light fog? you could try a really light custom fog.

still 9.99/10 :up:

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 08-17-2012 03:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hipshot never used any fog... I was thinking of adding very flat fog that looks like dust on the floor of the map, but then skipped the idea.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 08-17-2012 04:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i'd go with a very subtle light redish brown total coverage fog if it were me. those visable fog layers sometimes look a little odd.

none the less, gratz mang :D

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-17-2012 04:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I played it. I can't remember the last time I downloaded a custom map and actually played a full round with bots. This is amazing stuff. Visually stunning, good usage of textures, beautiful skybox, lovely jump pads with great fog effects and a very creative teleporter. Gameplay is excellent too, great layout, good pacing, great connectivity, nice item placement and the MH placement is a very nice touch. As you can see, can't say something bad about it. This one is a keeper for me.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-17-2012 05:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh yeah that's the only thing I thought was a bit odd. I was surprised to see water running in such a dry place (but that's alright) but I never expected it to teleport me away. It's no biggie, but to me it didn't look like a telep at all

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 08-17-2012 06:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah... come to think of it... Why would such a dry area have a water TP? ... oh well...

Note: Most of the good things mentioned, the fundamental layout, texture design, geometry design are all Hipshot's original.

I tweaked and changed some of the geometry, and pathing but keeping in Hipshot's style. Double-TP was actually my design, and the JPs. I still love the "wushing wind sound" Pat borrowed to me for the angled MH JP.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.