Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        SolarAE - Solar - AEon's Edit - Final!

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: SolarAE - Solar - AEon's Edit - Final!

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 08-27-2009 01:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hipshot was so generous as to let me experiment with his FFA map Solar. Please note I am *not* trying to improve on his vision of the map, the author's vision is always the best one. I am simply trying out some ideas I had suggested in the Solar Public Beta thread, testing to see if these ideas have any merit.

I'd also like to use this thread to freshen up my mapping skills. When editing someone else's code you come across new ideas, and wonder about things. I am starting to collect a few questions for later.

The basic idea was to see if flatter water would turn out to be an alternate possibility for this map, so I started to try that out.

a) Compiling Solar with my default compile options, leads to quite interestingly full colors:
      -light -v -fast -patchshadows -samples 2 -bounce 8 -shade -threads 1

b) Here the light compile as Hipshot intended the lighting:
      -light -v -fast -patchshadows -samples 2 -bounce 8 -gamma 2.5 -compensate 3 -threads 1
    Notice the gamma correction, and compensation. Also note Hipshot normally uses -samples 6, which would have taken ages on my PC.

When you compare a) and b) you will notice - as a water-phobe in games - I very much flattened the water level, and moved the tube passages up the wall, to allow for lower-level "running" without having to swim.

c) I was a bit bored here and started to miter...
    d) ... the un-mitered image shows many extra "lines" in orange, that are superfluous. Please note this is not a suggestion to miter, more an application example of the technique.

e) Lower water level, tube passages moved up, the 3 shards can now be reached from the upper path, and you can also jump back. Notice the rusted steel planks I added to help the bots reach the TP.

f) I added two additional "islands" in the LG arena - in an attempted artsy manner - so that the player does not have to get his feet wet. While running these gaps between the islands are not noticed.

a) The "bridge" to the PG had a broken railing, giving me the idea it might be spiffy to be able to reach the path to the TP directly via some rusted steel planks. This works quite well actually. Is this really is a plus to the map? No idea. But I like jumping on those planks anyway.

b) The LG arena from the water level.

c) Quad no longer under water, now floats in air, direct view into the RL arena.

d) I was also experimenting with "windows" in vicinity of the RA... alas this is less thrilling than I would have hoped.

e) 2nd "window" added, you glimpse out between the tubes.

f) RL arena, view. Note the two ventilators on the far wall? Next a path from there to the LG arena will be added, letting the player run a complete circle of the lower level.

Well at the very least it is fun to be able to "edit" one of my favorite FFA maps, and to try out a few ideas.

Note: Calling these tests SolarAE to differentiate them from Hipshot's original.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 08-27-2009 01:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The vertical gameplay - especially in shot A - looks inviting. Will you be making this map available for download?

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 08-27-2009 02:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maybe after Solar is released by Hipshot, for now only experimental. I'd suggest playing the Solar Beta (see first link), it actually has more vertical play, because you can actually jump *into* water.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 08-27-2009 02:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nah, release it. It could seriously take years before I get to the solar beta.
I'm pretty backed up for a while now with other maps.

Finalize and release your own version if you want, I don't mind. I'm thinking about releasing the source for my levels in the future anyway.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 08-27-2009 03:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@Hipshot, yeah release your source maps, it is always cool to see how other people map. :)

@AEon, Wow that is quiet a difference with the gamma/compensate. I personally prefer shot A thou, it has more interesting colour and shadow strength. I can totally understand the mitering thing, I am always getting side tracked doing stuff like that! :P

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 08-27-2009 04:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If this is indeed OK with you Hipshot, I'll upload a "test version" tomorrow.

Just played against the bots on Hardcore vQ3... it almost brought tears to my eyes, I was so proud of them. How cleverly they were using the flattened water and the tubes now, and really taking advantage of the map. Barely beat that b*st*rd Anarki (100 vs. 96 vs. 52), poor Uriel really got whopped.

I added a playerclip "step" around all the "islands", and all the edges where one needs to jump to get out of the water. Now you simply run into those edges and get out of the water fast. This makes it watery, while keeping at least some water depth, but almost no slowdown in running speed. The bots really appreciate this.

Sparklies fixed...

Todo - if really to be taken seriously:
  • I'll need the ASE files for a few things.
  • Lighting... will see how to do it, this could really get ugly, work-wise.
  • I am thinking of either putting the TP in the RA room's corner, or at least adding a JP in that room.
  • Make nicer windows.
  • Add the RL arena - LG arena connecting tube.
  • Miter some more :)...
  • See if I can optimize the map with more aggressively used hint brushes...
  • I'd love to add respawn-pad image for the RA and the YA... in the style used for the weapons.

Haven't had this much fun in ages... my own maps will be a pretty dreary job when I get back to them... sigh ;)

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 08-28-2009 03:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Map release version is going to take a while longer, I want to fix more things, to be closer to a "good" version.

I actually started to create two textures, based on the original material by Hipshop:

The left image is the original RL spawn pad, the texture in the middle is my take on the YA, and the one on the right for the RA. I almost was able to pull it off. Will be using the YA and RA textures in the map. I like such markers. The original PS source files this would have been a lot easier, but where is the fun without some challenge :).

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 08-28-2009 05:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
I actually started to create two textures, based on the original material by Hipshop:

Nicely done! Looks really smooth and original.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 08-28-2009 11:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Spent some more time editing SolarAE. The passage between the RA and the LG arena is in there, YA and RA have a new respawn pad texture, the ASE (models) are now actually in the map, and the skyportal works again, the JPs now have an intense red/orange coloring (instead of the previous green), Hipshop made a new skybox (redplanet) available that looks a bit more foreboding. Lots of mitering, and all the sparklies should be fixed now.

a) Redplanet env texture in 1024^2, plus the skyportal. I'll probably remove, the skyscrapers and the "comets" in the skyportal, the swirl is too cool and will stay.

b) YA now has a spawn pad texture. The TP does not use a grid square as effect, but a slightly changes hexagon grid.

c) RL arena now has a new passage on the lower level connecting this arena with the LG arena.

d) The passage is similar to the RA passage.

e) AP with orange pad, and hexagon grid effect.

f) Look back into the new passage.

I could upload a beta anytime, but I want to fix and change some other things first to then get significant feedback. I'll start rethinking about item placement, the new alternate paths require some incentive to actually use them.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 08-29-2009 03:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 08-31-2009 11:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have continued to change the map...

E.g. the water was replaced by redfella's red/orange terrain textures, adding sand-ish deco to the map now. Lighting is slightly reder, changed tubing in some areas...

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 08-31-2009 04:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i would take the RA-texture for YA-spot ...
coz RA = full armor,
and the 3rd texture is more yellow then the 2nd one! <:

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 09-01-2009 12:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

InsaneKid wrote:
i would take the RA-texture for YA-spot ...
coz RA = full armor,
and the 3rd texture is more yellow then the 2nd one! <:

Interesting alternate interpretation... alas I had no idea how else to differ the two textures: I was thinking of coloring the armor texture images, but that would clash with the other more "monochrome" pads. The additional lines try to suggest, a more complex, thus more powerful armor, thus the RA has those. Maybe just the outline of the armor for YA and the solid armor for RA?

Update:
The new YA pad texture, solid texture used for RA. Thanks for the inspiration.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-01-2009 03:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yes! (Y)

when u play, u mostly look at the floor ...watchin ur steps/searchin for items. <:

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 09-03-2009 01:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Solar - AEon's Edit - r84 Beta 1

After quite a few changes to Hipshot's original Solar map (see his Solar Public Beta thread for comparison), here my beta one release:

Changes:
  • Water almost completely removed, the map is less high now, featuring redfella's red/orange terrain textures instead (from redq3dm7) of water.
  • Location of TP moved into the RA room, TP exit where the old TP used to be.
  • Hipshot's Redplanet skybox used, with content reduced skyportal, lighting more reddish.
  • New JPs and TP models, and new "smoke" textures, new YA & RA pad textures.
  • Added fan droning hum, hum in tubes, water and TP sounds, wind.
  • A new corridor between the main RL arena and the LG arena added. It is now possible to run a continuous path on the lower level.
  • Added wooden and metal "planks", adding new paths via ledges. E.g. TP exit directly to the RG, or the 50H on planks near the PG bridge.
  • RA area, hopefully "nicer", with windows, and floor "dried out pool" deco, "indented" ceiling.
  • The sand stone is intruding the map in various places, as deco.
  • Item placement only slightly changed (needs more work).
  • Added support for tourney and team FFA.
  • Technical: All sparklies fixed, more hinting done, much geometry mitered, bot pathing optimized, added detail shadows under/behind the grates.

Download:
      solarae_r84_beta1.zip (8.23 MB) @ hugelaser.com
      (Install: Unpack the .zip into your baseq3\ folder, run the map via in-game skirmish button.)

Any feedback or bug reports appreciated. Most of the item placement is "OK", IMO, but alternative suggestions would also be of interest.

On pathing: I am still thinking it might be interesting to close off the RA area bit more, i.e. close off the direct path from the Quad to the TP, forcing the player to take the long way, making the RA a bit less accessable, and reducing the long line of sight between the LG arena and the TP.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 09-03-2009 02:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Slick changes! Level feels very tight!
What about replacing the orange metal on the ground of the tunnels to a few planks instead? The planks you are using outside the TP exit kinda.
You might also wanna remove the light cones from the lamps in the bottom of the level, which there water over before.
These things are just matters of different taste though.

Edit: What do people think about skipping the tele entirely?

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 09-03-2009 02:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

..it definitely runs way smoother on my rig than the original does..not to put down the original. I like it with the water gone, though it's way more attractive with it in the original at the same time. Nice choice on the sand.. I've also been a fan of graviton..it's a cool map.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 09-04-2009 01:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I already changed the gameflow significantly again :ninja:

a) Old view, from LG arena right past the Quad to the TP.

b) Planks added in one tube.

c) Rebuilt Quad area, fan closes off wall to the RA room, added a JP to finally have another way to leave the lower-level paths to reach the med-level ones. It also adds some more "bounce" to the map, I love that :toothy:. Also help to better control vis in this area as well.

d) The closed-off RA room, sports a fan on the wall that used to be open as well. VIS is greatly improved here now.

Thoughts:
  • I am keeping the "light cones" for now, I know you would normally not see them in the real word, but what these hint at is a vague level of dust in the air close to the floor of the map, making those cones plausible, IMO.

• I am probably a bit of an anarchist here - not sure this was actually ever done before - the TP now has two destinations. If you keep to the left of the TP entrance you teleport to the PG, if you keep to the right you end up near the YA above the Quad (just like in beta 1). IMO, this adds an interesting tactical element that you now can choose how to exit the area via four directions.

• I'll swap the YA here with the GL nearby, to avoid folks picking up the RA to then grab an YA right away as well.

• Looking into more hinting now.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 09-04-2009 01:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow that red floor is bright, the map feels like there is too much red, red sky, redish metal floors, Red Armour room! :P Ever thought about trying a yellow/brown/green floor and adding some foilage/shrub in corners? Paint the floor with mud/dirt and alpha blend some paths/edges across the floor with a touch of nature around the border. Taking out the water might have been cool for gameplay but there was an amazing colour balance by having the blue/grey/red together, now you just have red/grey and more red.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 09-04-2009 01:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

only screenshots again :( give us map if want feedback
i dont think that TP with two destinations is a good idea especially in ra room which has now additinally 2 escapes. i prefer ra room to have 1 more intrance to make fight for ra more tough and escape from ra more comlicated for player who allready have ra. or you can swith ra with something else e.g. ya and mb rearange all items. mb switch MH and LG. and i think making lava-looking ground actually hurt is good think too coz imo after removing water low level has too much freedom

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 09-04-2009 05:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

extone wrote:
only screenshots again :( give us map if want feedback

Did you try beta 1?

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 09-04-2009 06:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
Did you try beta 1?
yes

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 09-05-2009 06:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sock wrote:
Wow that red floor is bright, the map feels like there is too much red, red sky, redish metal floors, Red Armour room! :P Ever thought about trying a yellow/brown/green floor and adding some foilage/shrub in corners? Paint the floor with mud/dirt and alpha blend some paths/edges across the floor with a touch of nature around the border. Taking out the water might have been cool for gameplay but there was an amazing colour balance by having the blue/grey/red together, now you just have red/grey and more red.

That is a nice idea, for Hipshot's version of Solar, IMO... even though I love plants and an earthy look would also be cool, I am not going to do that here. I think that the sky and texture fit quite well... and most folks never look at the sky much anyway. Though you are right the RA room has an issue, with too much red... will need to rethink that area. I toned down the lighting above the grates for now, maybe that helps.

BTW, can it be that your monitor is turned up in brightness/saturation? Since you are an artist, I am guessing probably not, because artists have their monitors set up perfectly. On my TFT (HP w2207) the brightness is not very high - I'd consider it normally "contrast strong", so the reddish textures are not as brutal to me. But I will think about toning it down a bit.

@extone,
I did not release another version, because one beta a day is not really that good an idea. I posted the shots to show were the map is going, because I map faster than releasing betas is sensible. Rest assured the next beta is close at hand.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 09-06-2009 07:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Solar - AEon's Edit - r105 Beta 2

More changes to Hipshot's original Solar map (see his Solar Public Beta thread for comparison), here public beta two release:

Changes:
    a) Enlarged the LG arena on the lower level, by cutting off the deco "columns" along the wall. Makes the floor area a bit more boring, but yields a lot more space for fights. Lowered the JP area down there as well, plus added new "steps". LG on a sand stone mount now. Added another plank on the upper level, letting you reach the planks used to get to the RG.
    b) The GL is now placed above the Quad pit, added another plank connecting this area with the PG bridge. The bots can now fully travel this path.
    c) Upper JP in RL arena has a extruded ledge (left), lets the player better look into the arena below ("camp"), and the PG area.
    d) Started to cut out some of the grates in the ceiling.
    e) The Quad arena has changed quite a bit. The connection between Quad and RA room has been closed off (vis optimization). A JP was added.
    f) Corridor connecting LG and RL arenas slightly changed.

• The TP is split in two: Keep left to reach the PG, keep right to teleport to the GL. Weapon pad plates remind you which side to use in the TP.
  • Added some more deco to the TP.
  • The map was hinted... most areas should now be below 10K in r_speeds.
  • Quad area floor was raised to make it easier to get into and the tubes.
  • The stairs above the entrance to the RA, had to be closed off from below, to reduce the visibility into the RA room.

Download:
      solarae_r105_beta2.zip (8.21 MB) @ hugelaser.com
      (Install: Unpack the .zip into your baseq3\ folder, run the map via in-game skirmish button.)

Feedback welcome, but do not expect miracles, IMO the map is reaching final state rapidly.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 09-07-2009 03:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Played many games now, against bots (gonna see if I can find a matching human), seems they don't take the red armor that much, even if it's there and they are next by? Have you tried placing a bot roam there too? Just to see what happens?

Edit: Now I know why I became so surprised by the TP all the time, never really noted that it actually sends you two different places =) It's a bit confusing, you are not really prepared...

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 09-07-2009 04:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I never really looked into Anarki's and Uriel's item priorities, though I found the "config" files that control their preference. You are right they do not pick it up right away, but I have seen it gone often enough, Anarki picks it up. I also saw the bots use both TP exits... since Uriel prefers the GL and Anarki the RG, both normally go for the GL TP exit, much more rarely for the PG. Now one could simply look through the list of bots, and choose another one instead of Uriel, i.e. one that has a stronger PG preference.

On the "bot roam" entity... years ago I experimented with this, and it yielded quite mixed results. I noted that the MH has a "bot roam", and that seems to work fine. Though I am not sure what value to place on the RA... I noted that the Quad attracts both of the bots very much. So that works. Will try adding the "bot roam" for the RA. On that note, when Anarki respawns in the water next to the RA, he usually does *not* go for the RA, he exits directly into the arena. And the bots do not seem to ever walk through the water, they prefer the "striped" ledge above the water. Strange. Maybe the bots hate water :).

On the two exits in the TP :toothy: ... it does not really hinder the game IMO, and is something interestingly new.

Other thoughts:
  • Maybe add a 3rd bot... primarily, if you play the game in team mode 2on2... to have that 3rd bot defined.
  • The JPs... thinking of speeding up the rotation speed from -100 to -200 or so, and the "rings" matching that speed. It would make sense for the ventilator run more quickly, to add more visual "lift".
  • Alas I am not very artistic, concerning the "water drops" in the TP falling from the tube. Maybe you (Hipshot) could please create a better texture for this?
  • I'll probably need to recheck the detail shadows, for consistency.
  • Item placement is basically there, IMO... I cannot really think of a better placement for the weapons... though the LG placement is still something I am not sure about. The quite large amounts of health everywhere and shards are fine, you actually need them, in this fast-passed game.

Lasery Roboty
Lasery Roboty
PostPosted: 09-07-2009 06:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I really like what you did to the bottom floor, you brought play back down there. And those tubes are pretty fun to move through.

I think you kind of over-connected some parts of the level though with those planks, people have a few too many options now(especially on the top floor), the middle floor suffers from less use now, and it'll be harder intercepting people I think.

The Y-crossing TP confuses me, and will confuse most people even more I think. Also, it kinda teleports you quite close to the mega if you take the one that ends up near there.

I'd also move the RA a lot closer to the teleporter, it's further from the closest cover, and would make it scarier to stand around there. Also makes some fun gambles when you're low on health, concerning daring to stay on the spot and hope for the RA to appear soon or to jump through the tele and get away safely.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 09-07-2009 07:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

... over-connected some parts of the level though with those planks ...
I see what you mean... playing against bots I caught myself staying on the planks... PG to GL to RG... hmmm... the med level suffers a bit, but since some health is there you tend to jump down to get it. One could keep the 50H planks near the PG, but shorten them so you cannot (easily) get to the GL bridge, as a dead end, just to get the 50H. Maybe.

I'd also move the RA a lot closer to the teleporter, ...
Interesting idea, but I like Hipshot's original idea that you can jump down from above, into the water to get the RA, you can also see it from above. As a thought, one could swap the SG and RA positions, to center the RA in the room. Might be worth a try.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-14-2009 03:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

things i noticed in terms of gfx, the rock/mud texture on the floor is way to bright. and ya jp fan spins to slow. will get back to ya on gameplay

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-14-2009 02:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AEon wrote:
BTW, I am actually hoping for some more feedback on the almost final SolarAE, go play-test that map in till beta two of this map .

Nice reminding me of it, I almost forgot.
In the corner on the lower level where you collect the armor shards on that slightly altered brush (or patch) you can actually grab 2 or three of the armor shards just by passing by and not even climbing the before-mentioned brush (or patch). I'll do a screenshot if you can't figure out what I mean.
Another (minor) issue has been there let's see if I remember it in the next few days or encounter it after some more quaking.
Probably had something to do with on of the jumppads... :ninja:

EDIT: Fixed a missing "]" to make Aeon's quote work.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 09-14-2009 10:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

monaster wrote:
In the corner on the lower level where you collect the armor shards on that slightly altered brush (or patch) you can actually grab 2 or three of the armor shards just by passing by and not even climbing the before-mentioned brush (or patch).

You probably mean the connecting passage on the lower level, between the RL and LG arenas? Yeah, noted that too... the bounding boxes "should" be exactly on edge, so should that of the player scraping along the edge. Could move the items "back" by 1u, that should fix the problem.. if this is indeed a problem... probably is :).

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-21-2009 02:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AEon wrote:
You probably mean the connecting passage on the lower level, between the RL and LG arenas? Yeah, noted that too... the bounding boxes "should" be exactly on edge, so should that of the player scraping along the edge. Could move the items "back" by 1u, that should fix the problem.. if this is indeed a problem... probably is .

Yup, that's what I mean. I looked at it again, so I can tell you my "suggestion" (it's not such a big deal anyway :tard: ) refers to one armor shard and one small health, which can be picked up anytime running by whereas the other items can't. I had a screenshot prepared to make it more obvious but lycos once again seems to have fucked up things quite nicely, let's see if they recover this time, then I might be able to post that picture. Thankfully you know what I wanted to say.

And here's the other suggestion; especially this one might be a problem only for me and everyone else might not consider this as an issue whatsoever but to be sure: Over-connectivity has been mentioned before. I thought of that as a problem myself when I realised that it is possible to collect the mega health, quad damage AND red armor all together in less than 10 seconds starting with the MH (collecting it just by jumping over the edge and thus not using the diagonal jump pad).
Maybe it helps to change the respawn time of the MH RA and Quad (making it more difficult to collect everything at once)?

EDIT: Made quote work.
EDIT2: lycos is fine again, so here's the screenshot (just for completion reasons).

Last edited by monaster on 09-22-2009 01:37 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 09-22-2009 12:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@monaster
The 5H and Shards are actually 8u away from the edge in that passage, seems that the bounding box collision detection is a lot less exact than I had thought it would be. Strange.

To directly grab the MH via "cross-jump", been doing that a lot as well. On timing... MH, Quad, RA all using default timing. Not sure a change here would really help, the map is relatively small, so you will be able to get those three items relatively quickly no matter how you place them. Closing off the direct path from the Quad to the RA should have helped here. But when you play against real players these items will not really be available, when you respawn you grab them immediately. What was default spawn time of the Quad? Maybe increase that be 50%, to make it spawn more rarely.

I had been thinking of placing the MH into the far SW corner (where the framed glass tiles dropped from the ceiling). But that does not really help either, IMO.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-22-2009 09:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Default respawn time for quad damage is set at 120 seconds.

Quote:
But when you play against real players these items will not really be available, when you respawn you grab them immediately.

Yep, this might solve the problem to some point. :) Considering that, increasing the respawn time of the quad might even contribute negatively when it comes down to fast-paced gameplay? 'Cause right now, this map plays extremely fast (which is good!). Or: raise the water level at the RA's location: then players will think twice about getting the three powerups all at once if they are thwarted. On the other hand you removed hipshots water for exact that very reason... :paranoid:

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 09-22-2009 11:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's funny, quite a few things in the map I never questioned... it was Hipshot's vision, and I respected it, because as far as I could tell it worked well enough. Placement of MH, RA, Quad, RG, etc...

I am still not sure about the LG placement, but it seems to be customary to place the LG where folks actually have to go out of their way to get it. This used to be the bottom of the pool in Solar. Now it is pretty conveniently on your lower path run.

I'm still thinking about all the suggestions, but other than add the new TP effect Hipshot created for me, the closing off of the windows in the RA room, the deletion of the then useless hint brushes there, closing of the window behind the TP... the map IMO is done and final. OK, I'll try to place the 5H and Shards away from the ledge... if folks want them, jump! :)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.