Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        [Q3/QL] Delirium 1v1 map

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: [Q3/QL] Delirium 1v1 map

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 10-06-2009 08:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This map is for pure gameplay, movement, item layout, spawns, fun - ie. the absolute 100% rock hard solid ultimate duel map.

Basic idea is a small fast paced duel map with lots of vertical action and fast movement etc. especially with horizontal rocket jumps >:)

Any feedback would be appreciated, mostly about gameplay/layout/item locations. It is in the final stages of alpha (alpha 5). There may be one more alpha before it goes to beta. In the beta its pretty much just going to be remade for graphical and performance perposes (I don't intend to change much about the gameplay in beta).

You can download the Q3 version of the map HERE

Cheers

Its on my CPMA server (set to VQ3 OSP):
85.234.148.56:27960
Password: skeletor
To load the map, type in the console: /callvote map bst3t1_a5

I am on quakenet IRC #bstmap if you would like to chat or play some.

Screenshots:
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/7708/2 ... 505991.jpg
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/3163 ... 704374.jpg
http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/9982 ... 618725.jpg
http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/5608 ... 548400.jpg
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/1033 ... 532969.jpg
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/5509 ... 519133.jpg
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/9494/201 ... 453768.jpg
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/3412 ... 442747.jpg
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/6628 ... 419031.jpg

Last edited by bst on 04-25-2010 04:38 PM, edited 7 times in total.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 10-06-2009 08:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

(OLD SCREENSHOTS):
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Last edited by bst on 04-25-2010 04:40 PM, edited 2 times in total.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-06-2009 10:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Downloaded the map and dropped it in the baseq3, then fired up Q3 and went to load the map but no dice.
The levelshot doesn't show but the map name does .. almost like there was no screenshot.

After a bit I realised the map shortname was too long - over 15 characters (didn't know this was an issue with Q3), anyways I shortened the file names to bst3tourney1_a4.jpg, .bsp, .aas and updated the .arena file and everything worked great.

Loaded the map but there are a number of custom textures that have not been packaged with the PK3.

base_wall/bluemetalsupport2e_rusty
proto2/tin_floor05big
base_trim/zebra
base_wall/colbalt_gray
proto2/dangertrim

You must have a third party map in your baseq3 folder with these textures

Any chance you fix this up and then we can take a look :)

Thanks

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 10-06-2009 12:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doh! Silly me.
All fixed now, I've updated the link with a new PK3.
Cheers mate :D

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 10-06-2009 01:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

those are team arena textures i think....

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-06-2009 01:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If Fkd is right and they are indeed Team Arena textures I'd think about replacing them with Q3 ones. I'd not want to get involved in a dispute over copyright and distribution issues.

Edit: Another thought just occured ... are they in the Quake Live maps. If so, were do we all stand there ?

Edit No 2: Forum Notice (Sorry I know it's totally random and unrelated):- Birthdays - No birthdays today (Common!! It must be someone's birthday, surely !!! :p).

On a serious note.... I'm downloading the new alpha and taking a lookie. ... will post back thoughts later.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 10-06-2009 03:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They are not just team arena textures, but quake live textures - QL uses a lot from team arena. The QL version of the map pretty much uses all QL/TA textures. The "fix" I made on the Q3 map removed the remaining QL/TA textures and replaced them with Q3 ones.

I think I'll be ok with copyright since I didn't include any of the textures in the PK3 ;)

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 10-06-2009 03:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is a really cool layout, I liked it quite a bit. The only things that I saw that needs to be fixed, is that the bouncepad that comes from the RG area up to the RL, just bounces you up and down, rather that bouncing you to the RL. You have to press forward to get up there. This would cause problems for the bots as well.
I spectated through the bots to see what they would do on the bouncepad, but they didn't even use it.. The botplay is good though nonetheless.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 10-06-2009 03:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ah.. ok, nice find - thanks :) The reason I made it like that was so it was easier to use the jump pad to land on the pipe instead, to go to the YA. But I'll see what its like making it land on the platform, and see if I can make it so both things are possible.

Another thing the bots avoid, which annoys me a bit, is the teles. They never ever use them :( not sure what to do about that.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 10-06-2009 04:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ahhh quake 3 bots... these days with a lack of beta testing servers/player base.. it seems to be getting harder to make maps as we are now mostly building around how bots act... lol quake 3 now seems to be mostly single player even tho... imo its better than quake live.. but thats just my opinion. will give it a try when i get home from work, looking good so far tho

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-06-2009 04:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yup, I've just had a fair few games on the Q3 version ... no custom textures included and no missing textures either.

Anyways initial impressions....(prior notice:- these are my opinions. I am not you and this is your map, please take what you will from these comments or choose to ignore them completely, I will certainly not be offended)....

It's certainly really well connected. I love the little inclusions like the lights below the SG allowing you to go LG Ammo ledge, RL ammo ledge, lights below SG, SG Ledge, Middle Ledge, Mega-health in one round circle. There are a couple of other examples of this in the map.

This map obviously plays far better with two humans because they would use the top part of the map. As it stands Bots just don't go there unless they spawn there. Perhaps some consideration should be given to the item placement on the bottom level. After a while I realised once you'd gained control of the bottom of the map which is extremely armour and weapon heavy there was no need to vendor upwards, constantly running PG / RA / RG.

I might be inclined to suggest moving the RG to the GL ledge. Swapping over the SG and PG, ditching the RG pool and placing the RL down there. Moving the GL to where the RL is and then placing a second SG in front of the TP underneath the MH. I would also consider using smaller health near where the RG is currently placed, thereby encouraging the need to go further afield to replenish your health.

In terms of the map structure, I think it would make more sense to remove the player clipping that stops you falling through the gaps above the curved stairwell at the upper YA. This would make for a much greater challenge there, also it just looks plain weird seeing some standing in mid air.

The broken doorway / hole in the wall next to the LG looks really affective, but could possibly do with just a little more height to improve flow.

The lip of the ledge for the window overlooking the YA next to the current SG ledge could do with being a little bit bigger making it easier to get back to the SG ledge from there and again improving flow.

Other than that I think it flows pretty good.

Texture wise, the only thing I really noticed was the curved corner using the red texture above and opposite the RA could do with being made natural so it lines up and looks the same size as the rest of the wall.

There's a lot of textures on the map and some of them blend better than others. Whilst yet others just seem out of place. It's almost like the map can't decide if it's a gothic map or a base type map. Maybe some further work needs to be done on creating a more coherant theme.

All in all it's a great start. Looking forward to watching this develop further.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 10-07-2009 03:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow thanks :D

I don't know if running RA/PG/RG would work so well against a human, if someone was doing that to me I would get the mega+YA/RL/LG and wait at RL until you came up the jump pads, or wait at GL until you went for RA, and spam rockets down. When I play the bot I don't usually venture down to RA until I know its up. Also on the upper level if I have control, I can get to nearly all areas of the map really quickly and have the highground.

But yeah, for bot play, I could try some tricks to get the bots to go upstairs. I think the top area of the map is quite difficult for them to move around, so maybe I could put a few things in place to make it easier for them.. they tend to RJ up to the GL area instead of using the teles. But maybe if I put a little ledge in along the wall they wouldn't do that. I'm no expert on bots though so can't say for sure O_o

foralarx2k3 wrote:
I might be inclined to suggest moving the RG to the GL ledge.

Something I have considered is to remove the RG. I don't think the map really needs it, and could be more fun without it. Someone suggested adding the nailgun to the map, but I wouldn't be able to add it to the Q3 version.. also I'm not sure how to add the NG, lol..

foralarx2k3 wrote:
Swapping over the SG and PG [...] placing a second SG in front of the TP underneath the MH.

I like the idea but I'm not sure how having two SGs would affect the gameplay, because in QL the SG is a really powerful gun. I'll give it a try though :)

foralarx2k3 wrote:
ditching the RG pool and placing the RL down there. Moving the GL to where the RL is and then I would also consider using smaller health near where the RG is currently placed, thereby encouraging the need to go further afield to replenish your health.

I agree with all of this, nice stuff :)

foralarx2k3 wrote:
In terms of the map structure, I think it would make more sense to remove the player clipping that stops you falling through the gaps above the curved stairwell at the upper YA. This would make for a much greater challenge there, also it just looks plain weird seeing some standing in mid air.

Hehe, I was waiting for someone to say that... I was kind of split between the two ideas. But yeah I think I'll remove the clipping there now. I know what you mean :) and people can always use the ledges on the side to make sure they don't fall down.

foralarx2k3 wrote:
The lip of the ledge for the window overlooking the YA next to the current SG ledge could do with being a little bit bigger making it easier to get back to the SG ledge from there and again improving flow.

Good idea, I'll do that :)

foralarx2k3 wrote:
The broken doorway / hole in the wall next to the LG looks really affective, but could possibly do with just a little more height to improve flow.

I'm not sure about this atm. I don't want it to be too big, but yeah could do with a bit more height. I want it to be hard to smoothly jump through it, but repeatable. Actually I like the position of the hole, but the rest of that area I'm not too happy with, seems a bit too flow impeding. So I'll try and improve that area a bit more.

The textures are just temporary atm, literally I spent about 10 mins on it.. so its something I will worry about later ;)

Thanks for all your comments & suggestion mate, its a big help :up:

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-25-2010 03:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

UPDATED - Please see original post

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 04-26-2010 06:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I played some rounds and got to say that I like it pretty much.
When I ran around on it for the first time I was wondering about the YA right next to the MH - maybe you should replace the YA with a GA because atm I find myself constantly hanging around somewhere at the MH, hence I have quick access to 2YAs, the RL and the MH. I found the cliping at the higher YA odd.. I felt like I need some more place to move there. Also wondered if you should make the "grate" (or w/e it is =) there nonsolid and cover it with a clip brush because my grenades sometimes randomly bounced against it when I spammed a bit. :ninja:

Overall it plays well in cpm - didn't feel like it was cramped or something like that although I thought that first when I looked at the screenshots.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-26-2010 02:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for taking a look mate.

I would like to use the GA but it seems to have been removed from QL. I may just move the MH up to that ledge and remove the YA there.

But yeah I really need to test it vs a human because I am quite happy with the layout etc but the item locations and spawns need to be tweaked... the bots are just rubbish at testing that kind of thing :D

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.