Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        GTKradiant - Tips

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: GTKradiant - Tips

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 02-20-2010 12:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am not much of an expert concerning the wiki code used out there, but wikia definitely looks more "primitive" than the original wikipedia code I have been editing elsewhere. Hope we can get the "proper" wikipedia code going.

Since I actually wrote several macros for the other wiki, we could probably use those right away here as well. Anyway, I should be able to convert the Q4 FAQ and the other stickies I edited for the wiki. Might even write a small php parser that converts UBB to Wiki code.

(Hopefully... I seem to be *very* lazy presently... spring tiredness maybe ("Frühjahrsmüdigkeit")?)

Your Daddy
Your Daddy
PostPosted: 02-20-2010 07:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AEon you lazy prick, get to work.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 02-20-2010 09:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Once a wikipedia is running on q3w, I'll look into it.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-20-2010 07:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think we've found an apprentice for DooMer on the Art of Laziness.

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 02-24-2010 05:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Where do you find out mapping info like player height width crouch height, also max entities brusher ect ect.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-26-2010 07:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The BSPC readme has some info about player dimensions/behavior. Online version available here: http://www.shadowspawn.net/content/game ... ot_dev.htm -- search down to the "Physics" section.

Dunno about the other stuff you asked.

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 02-26-2010 10:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thx Johnny

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-06-2010 09:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can check out the Q3 source files for more info. Some of it on discussion here:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=42529

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 04-05-2010 12:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Does q3 compile maps to the resolution of 1/8th grid, or does it do like q2-seemingly rounding it to the nearest grid point?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-05-2010 05:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It'll do 1/8th grid or even smaller (in the case of models), but it's generally not a good idea to step into something that small since it'll affect vis, bots and a number of other things. The only thing that I use on a smaller than 1 grid scale is decals, which are essentially nonsolid, detail objects.

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 05-18-2010 09:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is there a equivalent of q2's func_wall where you can target it to appear/reappear(remove/restore)?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-19-2010 06:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Func_static. Though it has limitations. It is only affected by gameplay type, there is no way to trigger it in game. It also affects bots so they can't be large gameplay affecting brushes.

However, you can probably do something creative with func_doors and some clever triggers.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 08-11-2011 08:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I know a trick about texturing, if you want to copy the surface parameters of one face to another you can select the face which you want to change the parameters and then the face with the right parameters, after this you have to do and undo some change in the surface window.

About Shift+A, I realized that GtkRadiant 1.5 doesn't search a texture of a selected face, instead it searchs the selected texture.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-18-2012 11:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Where is the translator tool in GtkRadiant-1.6-20120520

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 09-16-2013 05:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Guys, is it possible to reassign "middle mouse button drag" to "pan view" function?
I often use both 3DSMax and GTKRadiant and every time I confuse MMBD and RMBD in both applications: perform a RMBD in Max (leads to a drag across right click menu) and a MMBD in Radiant (leads to a strange angles of the camera in camera view) :dork:

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 06-16-2014 03:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AEon wrote:
About the proper use of Region?
Presently it is becoming very clear that I have to use the GTKradiant Region command (here for v1.4) to let me more quickly change/test/fix the lighting, the full map compiles simply take far too long (light 800+s).

It seems you can select a area via brush in top/down (XY) view, then via Region menu, Set Tall Brush, everything covered by the brush is left *in* the map, turning the current file into a .reg file. You should then be able to compile only this region via Bsp menu entry (e.g. one of the final settings). I also noted you should turn on BSP Monitoring in the Prefs (Enable BSP process monitoring, Stop compilation on leak, Run engine after compile all turned on).

Alas the compile using (Q3Map (ydnar) - v2.5.11 - I have 2.5.16 installed though), complains about
Code:
************ ERROR ************
LoadPortals: couldn't read D:/Games/Quake3/baseq3/maps/aedm7160.prt

What things do I need to properly (manually) set up to make in-editor compiles (GTKradiant v1.4) possible?

Any other Region tips?

Thanks.

Hi, I had the same problem about regions compiling recently, and I read the official GTKRadiant manual found nothing, no matter how many times I tried to adjust the map, it always come with the same compiling problem. Have you resovled the problem? Could you please tell me how to do the region compile?

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-04-2015 02:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hi there!

Is tehre a possibility to quickly selecting the brushes via frame?
in the gtk 1.4 or 1.5 there was the possibility with SHIFT + LMB to make a selectionsframe, like in command and conquer and select every brush or entity in the 2d or 3d viewport.

greetings: Phobos

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-04-2015 03:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just create a brush that covers the stuff you want to select and click "select inside" in the main toolbar. (left button next to CSG Substract)
Hope this helps

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-04-2015 09:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's how I replicated the bases in GUSQ3CTF3. I am planning to the next CTF map to be Asymmetry however...

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-05-2015 08:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, on GTK Radiant 1.4 the problem will also appear. afaik, i didnt hat the problem wenn i used 2 screens for the editor, but with 4 screens, there will be a problem with rightclicking in the 3d window too.
i've tested it now on my laptop, and the problem will also appear. thats really strange.

but thank you very much!

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-05-2015 12:33 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I only have a fucked laptop screen so sorry, I can't do much in that regard.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 10-02-2016 11:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hello everyone! I'm struggeling to open a .map (jk2) file on OS X. Can someone explain me how I can make this work on OS X??? Also JK2 is for some reason not choosable as game, and I installed it with steam...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.