Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        World size

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: World size

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 10-04-2016 02:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sorry for the newbie question.
But i'd like to model an outdoor area with the intention of importing it as a static mesh in gtkradiant, then exporting it and using it in a game.

But before i start, what are some common "world sizes" that i might try and adhere to?
I mean the overall size of the cell, the edges of the world?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-06-2016 10:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

See here:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16772

Note: you'll likely run into other engine limitations before just the max map dimensions. Stuff like polycounts, collision data, max surface counts, etc. There's no real figure we can quote for these, I recommend starting small and less ambitious and build your way up.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 10-08-2016 12:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can make one almost as wide as the radiant grid, but not quite. Source: my Skyrim stupidity.

You couldn't make that out of brushes, because q3map2 has a brush limit, among others. You also can't add much more to that map, lest you risk insane compile times, terrible framerates and q3map2 crashes anyway.

visual prowess
visual prowess
PostPosted: 10-09-2016 10:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Using the _blocksize worldspawn key, you can actually compile huge maps very fast, if the brushwork isn't complex or dense. The problem you start running into as well is lightmap limits, if you compile with light, without using _lightmapscale, but then of course the lighting looks like ass. This game is a pain in the ass to make large maps in :(

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.