Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        [EDIT] New FFA map FINAL: dk_kb (Kepple Bay)

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: [EDIT] New FFA map FINAL: dk_kb (Kepple Bay)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-15-2016 12:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

EDIT:
Final release, link updated. Please delete any previous version to avoid shader conflicts.

This map has been on my hard drive for a very very long time, maybe two years I think.
The idea started on a walk with my parents, we went exploring an old WW2 fort and gun emplacement, set into a mountainside, half swallowed up by a rain forest.
The project expanded and I hit a ton of issues.
I have finally got the map to a point where I would really like some beta testing.
The level still has some issues, the odd clip brush in the wrong place, some lighting weirdness here and there, no weapon spawn markers etc.
It takes me several hours to compile the damn thing now, so I want to get a list of things to fix so I need to make just one more compile.
The bots are playing, but I need to do quite a lot to improve their performance, that's a whole other issue that I'll get into once the level itself is finalised.
Anyway...here we go:
CLICKY
And the obligatory screen shots:

Last edited by dONKEY on 09-08-2016 07:55 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-15-2016 04:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"It takes me several hours to compile the damn thing now" lolz...
It looks great buddy

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-15-2016 07:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, looks great!
I just jumped around a bit, will do some more testing later.
You should think about to replace some of the ladders with jumpers for better gameflow.
And the barrels are too big.
Very nice theme :up:

EDIT:

And maybe get rid of that 1 ammo-box in the crane-room or move it away a bit

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-15-2016 01:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@dONKEY: Yesss, a beta finally! I always hoped that you'd finish this map one day, I remember it from way back then - maybe even from a thread at leveldesign.nl at that time? Whatever, downloading now and testing soon!

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-16-2016 12:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks Andy.
I'd been thinking about (and resisting) jump pads. Mostly it was because they didn't fit my theme. But I think you are right. The yellow metal patches are not being lit well either. I think I'll create a broken ladder texture, a bit like the railing texture, and use it to replace the actual ladders. Then I'll add a real techy jump pad, something that really contrasts with the theme. I always liked Hipshots UT style pads in his last map. @Hipshot, is it OK to use them please?
Anythought on wep spawn markers?

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 08-27-2016 07:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I really love that curved water drain area in the map, that is in the last picture on the bottom of the top post. The top of the map is amazing..very nice work! :D

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-27-2016 07:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

v1l3 wrote:
I really love that curved water drain area in the map, that is in the last picture on the bottom of the top post. The top of the map is amazing..very nice work! :D

Did you see your birthday topic in GD?

Thanks for the map dONKEY :up:
I'll load up soon to give it a go.
Does it work in QL perchance?

Seeing these custom maps makes me ever so glad I still play Quake FPS :up: :arrow:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-30-2016 04:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks guys. When I get some time, I'll make a few alterations and finish this up.
@Whiskey....yes thanks, I saw. One of my few excursions to GD :)
At the moment I haven't done anything to make the map QL playable....I need to look into that...

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 08-30-2016 08:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's a really cool level Donkey!
But I really think you need to change the "ladders" into JPs here. If you convert the level to QL, you can make real ladders instead, but I think JPs better for Q3 unless it's a secret or some other place in the back.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-08-2016 07:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have reached a point, after 12 months or so, where this is final. Thanks for advice and comments.
Thank you Hipshot for the use of your launch pads. I've updated the link to the final build in the original post.
I have this map and my CTF map Dual Cores that belong to the same theme, perhaps I should make it a trilogy???

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-12-2016 10:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've got "hunk_alloc failed at 1651328" :disgust:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-13-2016 04:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What's your hunk_megs set to?
I'm running ioquake on my crappy work laptop with hunk_megs set to 256 and the map loads. I think my desktop at home is 1024, running vanilla Quake 3.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-13-2016 10:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dONKEY wrote:
What's your hunk_megs set to?

64 :D my config was "updated" several times. ;)
The level is very atmospheric, especially the place near the gun (where YA is placed)! It reminded me a "Day Z" game. I think, some clip brushes above the jumppads would work nice, but I guess, you fed up with this map enough. ;) :D
These particles around the lamps are made with FS Particle Studio, no? :) They look familiar.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 09-17-2016 01:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

looks good :up: yeah defo more jumppads instead of ladders

the perennial problem with 'realistic' maps is they tend to work against fast movement :|

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-19-2016 05:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
the perennial problem with 'realistic' maps is they tend to work against fast movement :|

It depends entirely on the designer, imho. Clip brushes and separate "surfaceparm nonsolid" shaders aren't prohibited, but one puts gameplay above design, other - vice versa, and third considers both of them to be important.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 09-19-2016 05:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Always have like your maps. This one is no exception :up: . I did find one small issue completely by accident and would
more than likely not be noticed by someone playing the map. Me being the kind of person that just likes to run around
and admire the view and not focus on gameplay so much (on these types of maps anyway). There seems to be a decal
brush sticking out into a grating.

Attachments:
shot0019.jpg
shot0019.jpg [ 155.75 KB | Viewed 572 times ]

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-22-2016 08:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hach donkey! I've missed your screens.
Beautiful like 2 yrs ago! :toothy:
I like the screen with the hanging vines and the battle area in the first one.
Great to see talented ppl still mapping for this rusty factory called q3a.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-22-2016 05:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey Bliccer :))

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.