Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        One question...One problem

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: One question...One problem

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-27-2005 06:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Question: Could someone remind me what the parameters are for team doors?

Problem: Every other build I keep gettingsomekind of phantom leak that comes from some entity andgoes right through sold brush.

*There are no entities outside the map
*There are no non-solid (trans)texture outside the map (that I've seen)
*There are no openings into the void

I've no idea how to resolve this sort of leak or where it comes from.

Help...

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 04-27-2005 06:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Target_relay has the option for red or blue only use it by having the trigger point to the relay, the relay set to only blue/red, and the relay pointing at the door.

Shft+Ctrl+K= next leak spot
It will show you where the problem is.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-27-2005 06:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://www.qeradiant.com/manual/Q3Rad_M ... 2.htm#func

Load the point file after compiling. Follow the red line to the problem area. Check for leaks. Make sure that you didn't convert part of the hull to detail brushes. Make sure all patches have structural caulk brushes behind them.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-27-2005 06:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Woops?

Sorry I wasn't referring to CTF, rather the teamdoor key. How to get two halves to work together.

Thnx.

*I tried the next leak thingy. No gibs. I'll try again though.
*There are no detail brushes yet.
*All patches are inside the hull.

The current leak is from a Quad_dmg and goes right through solid brushwork.

Last edited by quibblerot2 on 04-27-2005 06:22 AM, edited 1 time in total.

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 04-27-2005 06:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ah damn, teamED doors. Should have thought about that.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-27-2005 06:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Read the manual (link above) for teamed doors.

Try brush cleanup and if that still doesn't work, delete the offending brush and rebuild it.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-27-2005 06:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ah. The manual-again. Yeah that's the firstthing I did but I can't make heads or tail of the language. It's not new to me, I just can't remember and need the parameters.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-27-2005 06:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
team: assign the same team name to multiple doors that should operate together (see Notes).

Quote:
Notes
Unlike in Quake 2, doors that touch are NOT automatically teamed. If you want doors to operate together, you have to team them manually by assigning the same team name to all of them.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 04-27-2005 12:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

quibblerot2 wrote:
Question: Could someone remind me what the parameters are for team doors?

http://www.planetquake.com/bubba/door1.html

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-27-2005 05:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I fixed the dorr problem. Wjhat I can'tseem to fix is the leak.
I've tried everything I know to try.

Any more suggestions?

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 04-27-2005 09:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

quibblerot2 wrote:
I fixed the dorr problem. Wjhat I can'tseem to fix is the leak.
I've tried everything I know to try.

Any more suggestions?

If you don't mind, throw up a link for the .map...I'm curious. :)

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 04-28-2005 12:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I had a similar problem once with a mystery leak - turned out I had moved the edge of a structural brush slightly and thereby gotten a target_speaker inside that brush which caused a leak that didn't display correctly with the pointfile but instead showed another item as the culprit. So maybe a check that no such items (not necessarily just speakers) are buried in the structural brushes could help.

Also, have you enclosed your entire map with a big structural caulked brush, then hollowed it and run a compile just to make really sure all your structural brushes are sitting snugly together?

cheers

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-30-2005 12:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you are getting 'entity leaked' it means you have an entity whose origin is in structure. This isn't the same as 'map leaked', and as far as I can tell, isn't really a problem. Some entities will not do what you want if they are embedded in structure.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 04-30-2005 04:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, if you leave an entity inside a structural brush it'll 'break' it, ammo boxs (items) for instance don't show up in game if any part of the bounding box, never mind the entity object itself, is buried. Leaving these errors inplace often means you can't get BSPC to work properly either as it borks out when it find one of these 'leaked' entities.

Swift and Deadly
Swift and Deadly
PostPosted: 04-30-2005 08:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue. In my current ctf map, I have a problem similar to this one. The supposed offending (func_group) entity isn't in any structural brush. And when I un-group the brushes that I have grouped for ease of movement, it jumps to another func_group set of brushes and says that that one is leaked.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-30-2005 11:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmm.
I gotta look into that, except it isn't somethingI've ever had a problem with. But the problem has been recurring even with simple 'box' maps it seems, where I can account for all entities, and there's still a mystery leak. The map compiles and builds, but aas fails.

Appreciate the ffdback here though andI'l look into all of your suggested fixes.

Peece.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.