Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Loading textures in GtkRadiant and disappearing brushes

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Loading textures in GtkRadiant and disappearing brushes

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-25-2010 11:24 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm feeling a bit dumb for having to ask this, but after years of doing nothing, I reinstalled GtkRadiant (1.5.0) again and started it up.
However, for some reason my texture window is staying empty. It does list the various standard Quake 3 shader groups from shaderlist.txt but there's just no textures it displays. I've extracted the textures folder from pak0.pk3 into my baseq3 folder bit still no go. Anyone know what the problem could be here? The console only lists one error at startup and that is:
Unable to find default tag file C:/Program Files/GtkRadiant 1.5.0/q3.game/shadertags.xml. No tag support.

Also, if I draw just a single brush and I move my camera around, everything is fine until I use the strafe buttons (comma and dot). Then all my brushes just simply disappear in 3D view. Anyone know what's up with that?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-25-2010 11:46 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Compatibility issues?

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 08-25-2010 11:51 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What operating system are you on?

If you're on Windows 7 you might want to right click radiant, go to properties, click on the compatibility tab, and disable visual themes and desktop composition.

Also, have radiant installed to a place it has permission to write to (C:\users\account_name\) rather than sitting in program files.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-26-2010 12:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Got the problem both in Vista and Win7. I've disabled the visual themes and desktop composition (wouldn't even show the 2D grid otherwise).

Not sure if it's related to where I installed it. When I enable console logging it properly writes the log to C:\users\username\appdata\roaming\radiantsettings\1.5.0\radiant.log, so it does have write rights to that folder.

In the log there's this as well:

vfs directory: F:/q3/baseq3/
pak file: F:/q3/baseq3/pak8.pk3
pak file: F:/q3/baseq3/pak7.pk3
pak file: F:/q3/baseq3/pak6.pk3
pak file: F:/q3/baseq3/pak5.pk3
pak file: F:/q3/baseq3/pak4.pk3
pak file: F:/q3/baseq3/pak3.pk3
pak file: F:/q3/baseq3/pak2.pk3
pak file: F:/q3/baseq3/pak1.pk3
pak file: F:/q3/baseq3/pak0.pk3

Right now, I'm not really sure whether this is a case of it not loading the files or not rendering the files.

If there are no other suggestions to what this may be I might try reinstalling to another location, but I'd rather not do that right now.

Where do you have your GtkRadiant installed to by the way?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-26-2010 12:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have both Quake 3 and GTKRadiant 1.4.0 installed in C:\Program Files\.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 08-26-2010 12:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hm it's also possible it's a bug in 1.5. Have you tried using 1.4 or 1.6 on the same system?

irrc 1.5's texture browser doesnt work for me either. Which is why I use 1.4 still (might move to 1.6 since it's compiled as a by-product of working on q3map3 :P

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-26-2010 12:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There's only a test build of ZeroRadiant 1.6.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 08-26-2010 12:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There are also super secret hidden builds of ZeroRadiant ;)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-26-2010 12:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Aw, unbelievable, I've installed 1.4 and that works fine.
I must say that I don't remember ever having 1.5.0 installed. It looks like development has pretty much halted alltoogether? Anyone know if 1.6 (zeroradiant) is being worked on at all?

Thanks for the help to both of you.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 08-26-2010 01:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah I'm pretty sure that development on 1.5 halted a while ago.

ZeroRadiant 1.6 is still being worked on though since, if I'm remembering right, it's the version being used for QuakeLive development.

You'll need to build it from source to get the latest version though since the last "build" is an older test build as Dessicated Corpse had mentioned.

And np ;)

EDIT: Here's a link to mfn's fork of ZeroRadiant - http://github.com/mfn/GtkRadiant
He's been working to stabilize and improve on the old ZeroRadiant code.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-26-2010 01:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Then where can I get the latest build?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-26-2010 01:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Read through the first post here:
http://forums.urbanterror.info/topic/19 ... bug-fixes/

There's a changelist, download links and installation instructions.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-26-2010 07:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Silly puppies! Everything you will ever need is right here:
http://robotrenegade.com/radiant/downloads.html

Also see the quick setup guide with special instructions for Windows Vista/7 users.

BTW, mfn's branch of ZeroRadiant has also stopped development.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 08-26-2010 12:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
BTW, mfn's branch of ZeroRadiant has also stopped development.

Orly? That's news to me. When did this happen? o_o

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-26-2010 12:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So, ZeroRadiant's a fail?

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 08-26-2010 03:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i use 1.5 on win7 64bit. the only time textures dont show up for me when installing is when the path's are set wrong... weird

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 08-26-2010 03:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

NetRadiant is the only version of *Radiant that has never given me any issues (portable installation wins).

And now I can never return to VHE/WC... although I do miss the various texture align-to-edge tools. Perhaps I should do something about that.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 08-26-2010 03:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Perhaps you should stevec ;) That's what the source is there for!

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 08-26-2010 04:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Heh, yeah, the GIT repo on icculus.org needs a little more action. Adding the ability to derive from base-classes in entity definitions is also another feature that would be quite nice, as well as finishing up widgits for all the key-types.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-26-2010 07:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Silicone_Milk wrote:
Orly? That's news to me. When did this happen? o_o

He didn't have enough time anymore so he gave it up. Some of the source from his branch went back into the trunk. We had more fun pointing out bugs than actually fixing any though. So, how about that id Studio, eh?

Oh, Eraser, also check to make sure you have the gamepacks installed for GtkRadiant 1.5.0, it's required and is a separate installer.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-26-2010 11:33 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well I'm on 1.4 now and that works fine and that's what I'm used to so I'm not sure there's any point in upgrading.

Maybe I'll try 1.6 some time but for now 1.4 will do fine. Thanks for the suggestions though!

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.