Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        A water shader.

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: A water shader.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-01-2005 08:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Has anyone ever tried applying the shader for the ctf flags to water?

That would like...make it look wavy, instead of flat. Ofcourse, I dunno how I would go about that, since I don't make maps n' stuff.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-01-2005 07:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You need to make your own version of a water shader. Some of the default Q3 shaders already make use of this so you may be able to modify one to make your own. Just make sure that you create a new shader name to prevent overwriting of default Q3 shaders.

As always, read the manual, it's full of shader goodness. More information on the specific directive you need here:
http://shaderlab.com/q3map2/shader_manu ... rmvertexes

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-01-2005 08:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks. : D But I'm not really looking for anything, really, since I'm not making a map, or really care too much for the water effects. Its just an idea that I realized while...exiting Quake.

Heres a GIF, just for fun.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 05-02-2005 08:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It only looks good when you have a large tess size, however, having a large tess size means that the polycount of the water jumps VERY high, and so its quite expensive. Not expensive on new systems maybe, but on old ones, its quite a hit.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 05-05-2005 01:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you could also modify the flesh wall texture shader to do this.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 05-06-2005 10:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nyxs-uk wrote:
you could also modify the flesh wall texture shader to do this.

Nobody is talking about not being able to do it, its a simpel deform vertex shader, very easy to do. Its the problem of whether its worth the hit, because while it can look ok, its not THAT great looking, and it only comes into its own when you use a very large tess size. Upping the tess size will add more and more polies, hundreds of them, just for water. When you have a small surface this is fine but on a big one? Big hit.

Of course, in Q3's old levels with tis old low detail models, it wont hut TOO much to up the polycount here.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-06-2005 12:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmmmm...you know...theres this one map called quatrix. Or, forget that. Q3dm0. There is a mirror right where you spawn. How is that reflection done?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-06-2005 02:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ganemi wrote:
Hmmmm...you know...theres this one map called quatrix. Or, forget that. Q3dm0. There is a mirror right where you spawn. How is that reflection done?

This should get you started,

http://fps.brainerd.net/portals.htm

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 05-07-2005 01:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mirrors in qukae 3 are very poor TBH, they are true mirrors and lack any sort of "fun". You either have your basic mirror, or, your basic mirror. You cant have them transparent, you cant have them warping and stuff, because they are not render to texture mirrors. This means for things like water, they are pretty much uselss.

The best way to do it is a cube map, but Quake 3 wont allow cube maps on surfaces will it? Only Envmaps I thought? If you can do cubemaps, use one of those. Thats the best trick. If you cant, then you gotta settle for an envmap.

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 05-07-2005 02:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I remember a map but not the name that had a waterreflection. Was alongside a building and it even had realtime sky reflection i think.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 05-07-2005 08:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

just rtcw/q3 mirror + shader

edit: no lvlshot / -2 ?????

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.