Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Where to get original tim dm5 mapmodels?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Where to get original tim dm5 mapmodels?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 09-20-2014 08:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In idea of converting default maps that did not come with Radiant's installation (for example q3dm2) to reduxes or another gametype (for example CTF), I am looking for missing models, that did not come with new Radiant, the ones called Tim DM5 models. Are they copyrighted in another way than other models in the game that were included in new Radiant's install dir? Most of models that are part of the original game were introduced with new Radiant, but the ones from DM2 were not. Looking for timdm5_ceiling.md3, timdm5_wall1.dm3 and also bones lying under plasma gun that are also the ones missing... Installed Radiant 1.5 to continue in mapping (Radiant 1.6.4 is buggy in the permissions manner), there is missing shader for the pentagram light fixture that was used in DM2, but this is another bug...

However most of the previously missing models are there, including the most famous grenade launche fixture, which I use in my workaround deathmatch map now in early alpha called 'Bunker'...

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 09-21-2014 11:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pic of model

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-22-2014 05:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Organ donation method:

- find an original map with the desired mapmodel (smaller maps are better)
- convert BSP to ASE with q3map2 (-convert)
- open ASE in Milkshape and find your mapmodel
- delete the rest of the world
- move the mapmodel to the origin
- maybe rotate to the correct orientation
- generate control file with correct texture paths
- export as MD3

Note: ASE seems to have a 1024 units limit. The converted map will be compressed into a 1024³ cube. Maybe some of your mapmodel vertices are shift by 1024 units...

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 09-22-2014 09:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, thanks for your tip, I will need it for converting such maps that have these models not included with Radiant... Pretty nice method, just not happy with the limit to hear about, I think q3dm2 is slightly beyond that...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.