Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Need to make an elevator

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Need to make an elevator

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 10-04-2010 11:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok, so I've progressed a little further into my map, and have stumbled onto another aspect I cannot get a good tutorial on...making an elevator. I just need an elevator which moves upward x units, waits maybe 3 seconds (or until the person gets off), the goes back to. It must be reusable. I'm not asking you to make one for me, I just need a good explanation, probably the easiest way, on how to make one with those specifications. I tried looking for a good tutorial but couldn't find one. Just in case the game matters, I'm mapping for Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force 1

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-04-2010 12:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not sure about ST:EF, but I suppose it has normal entities similar to Quake 3. func_plat is not entirely functional (no hard coded sound for the platform) for Q3, but should work with ST:EF. Otherwise, a vertically opening func_door entity can be used instead.

Quote:
func_plat:

Rising platform the player can ride to reach higher places. Plats must always be drawn in the raised position, so they will operate and be lighted correctly but they spawn in the lowered position. The plat will stay in the raised position until the player steps off. There are no proper sounds for this entity, only beep noises. It will spawn in the game and work properly but it sounds silly (see notes).
-------- KEYS --------
speed : Determines how fast the plat moves (default 150).
lip : Lip remaining at end of move (default 16). Has no effect if "height" is set.
height : If set, this will determine the total amount of vertical travel of the plat.
dmg : Damage to inflict on player when he blocks operation of plat (default 4). Plat will reverse direction when blocked.
targetname : If set, the trigger that points to this will raise the plat each time it fires. The plat raises and comes back down a second later if no player is on it.
light : ConstantLight radius of .md3 model included with entity. Has no effect on the entity's brushes (default 0).
color : ConstantLight color of .md3 model included with entity. Has no effect on the entity's brushes (default 1 1 1).
model2 : Path/name of model to include (e.g. models/mapobjects/pipe/pipe02.md3).
origin : Alternate method of setting XYZ origin of .md3 model included with entity (see notes).
notfree : When set to 1, entity will not spawn in "Free for all" and "Tournament" modes.
notteam : When set to 1, entity will not spawn in "Teamplay" and "CTF" modes.
notsingle : When set to 1, entity will not spawn in Single Player mode (bot play mode).
gametype : Defines the gametypes that will spawn this item. Q3A point release 1.32 only. Q3A values: ffa tournament single team ctf. Q3TA values: oneflag obelisk harvester teamtournament.
-------- Q3MAP2 KEYS --------
_targetname : Used to attach a misc_model entity to this entity.
_lightmapscale : Floating point value scales the resolution of lightmaps on brushes/patches in this entity (default 1.0).
_castshadows;_cs : Allows per-entity control over shadow casting. Defaults to 0 on entities, 1 on world. 0 = no shadow casting. 1 = cast shadows on world. > 1 = cast shadows on entities with _rs (or _receiveshadows) with the corresponding value, AND world. Negative values imply same, but DO NOT cast shadows on world.
_receiveshadows;_rs : Allows per-entity control over shadow reception. Defaults to 1 on everything (world shadows). 0 = receives NO shadows. > 1 = receive shadows only from corresponding keyed entities (see above) and world. < 1 = receive shadows ONLY from corresponding keyed entities.
_celshader : Sets the cel shader used for this geometry. Note: Omit the "textures/" prefix.
-------- Q3MAP2 TERRAIN KEYS --------
_indexmap;alphamap : Path/name for the art file used to guide the mapping of textures on the terrain surface.
_layers;layers : Integer value denotes number of unique root shaders that will be used on the terrain.
_shader;shader : Path to the metashader used to assign textures to the terrain entity. Note: Omit the "textures/" prefix.
-------- NOTES --------
By default, the total amount of vertical travel of a platform is implicitly determined by the overall vertical size of the brushes of which it's made minus the lip value. But if the "height" key is used, then the total amount of vertical travel of the plat will be exactly that value regardless of the shape and size of the plat and regardless of the value of the "lip" key. Using the "height" key is the best method for any kind of platforms and the only possible one for thin plats which need to travel vertical distances many times their own thickness. Setting the origin key is simply an alternate method to using an origin brush. When using the model2 key, the origin point of the model will correspond to the origin point defined by either the origin brush or the origin coordinate value.

There is a way to make plats play proper sounds. Just create a sound\movers\plats folder under baseq3 and put 2 sounds named pt1_strt.wav and pt1_end.wav in it. Those can be the renamed sounds from the Q2 plats or renamed copies of the sound\movers\doors sounds you can extract from your pak0.pk3 file or new custom sounds if you're up to it. Thanks to Fragzilla for the tip.

Target this entity with a misc_model to have the model attached to the entity (set the model's "target" key to the same value as this entity's "targetname").

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 11-27-2010 11:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Great, new problem (why me?). Since my last bsp making, whenever I try to load my map (through the command line (/map)) it gives me a message that says something like "SV_setbrushmodel_NULL" and fails to load. Is there a fix, and where did I go wrong???

clueless
clueless
PostPosted: 11-27-2010 06:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This usually means that Radiant fucked things up with an entity, when it happened to me it almost always was a teleporter. Whenever that message comes up I make a backup of my map file, then I open it in a text editor and have a look at the volume based entity definitions near the end of the file. If that error occurs there should be such an entity that is broken: an entity that should include a brush but does not. Simply delete that entity from the text file and you should be fine.

In case you have no idea what I'm talking about: a teleporter should look like this in the map file:
Code:
// entity 162
{
"target" "misc_teleporter_dest4"
"classname" "trigger_teleport"
// brush 0
{
( -188 -220 -128 ) ( -188 -292 -128 ) ( -228 -220 -128 ) common/trigger 0 0 0 0.500000 0.500000 0 0 0
( -196 -32 -64 ) ( -236 -32 -64 ) ( -196 -32 -256 ) common/trigger 0 0 0 0.500000 0.500000 0 0 0
( -220 -224 -64 ) ( -220 -224 -256 ) ( -220 -296 -64 ) common/trigger 0 0 0 0.500000 0.500000 0 0 0
( -236 -292 -320 ) ( -196 -292 -320 ) ( -236 -220 -320 ) common/trigger 0 0 0 0.500000 0.500000 0 0 0
( -228 -192 -256 ) ( -228 -192 -64 ) ( -188 -192 -256 ) common/trigger 0 0 0 0.500000 0.500000 0 0 0
( -228 -292 -256 ) ( -228 -220 -256 ) ( -228 -292 -64 ) common/trigger 0 0 0 0.500000 0.500000 0 0 0
}
}

If itis broken it looks like this:
Code:
// entity 162
{
"target" "misc_teleporter_dest4"
"classname" "trigger_teleport"
}

Hope that helps.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-27-2010 10:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That can also be caused when an entity has no solid brushes. For example if you use a model as a func_whatever, that entity must still contain at least one solid brush. I use a playerclip brush on top of my origin brush normally.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-28-2010 12:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For error purposes I can recommend you this:

Q3A Common Error Messages v1.5

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.