Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        map testing jgothbeta

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: map testing jgothbeta

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 11-16-2010 10:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looking for a good place to upload maps for testing other than making my own website. Any suggestions welcome.

Last edited by j3st3r on 11-17-2010 03:29 AM, edited 2 times in total.

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 11-16-2010 11:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Typically when you have a relatively simple question such as this, you should begin by using Google to see if you can answer it. If that fails, try using the forum search function up top. Always exhaust these resources before posting a topic. :)

A simple google search "free file hosting" provides as the first hit:
http://www.filedropper.com/

Also, welcome to the forums, hope you stick around!

clueless
clueless
PostPosted: 11-16-2010 11:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow, jester! Great to see you here. Are you starting to make Q3A maps now?

I got my own website for beta maps but someone (Anthem?) recently said that dropbox works pretty well for that purpose. I also have an account there for other stuff and though I don't use it too often it seemed reliable and hassle-free so far.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-16-2010 01:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yep. Dropbox is great for uploading files to share with others. All you do is drag the folder into your dropbox folder and right click it for a link when it's done uploading. When you want the link not to work anymore, remove the file from the folder. I really recommend it!

Team Event -O- Horizon

NoGhost Map Making Competition 2 (June 2010)

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 11-16-2010 03:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I thought I would give Q3 a shot after all these years. Not sure why I never switched from Q2 in the first place. Thank you for the welcomes and the help.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 11-16-2010 06:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here is a link to the map for testing if anyone would like 2.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15159109/jgothbeta.RAR

Not sure about item placement so not a lot in there atm. Also have not done any clipping yet. Wanted to make sure on layout and what not before I went for the finalizing I guess.

clueless
clueless
PostPosted: 11-17-2010 03:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'll check this one as soon as I get home (but that'll be pretty late in the evening)!

You should maybe rename the thread jester.

clueless
clueless
PostPosted: 11-17-2010 01:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A great map. The layout is fun and the texturing and lighting are spot on. I'm not a big fan of gothic maps and I've seen the vanilla Q3A gothic textures way too often but I didn't care at all when I played the map.

Suggestions:
  • It needs clipping in countless places, that's for sure. The windows and the side of the LG stairs are examples but many other spots need them, too.
  • I'm not 100% sure about this yet but the 2x 25H on the upper level should maybe be moved somewhere else. One has excellent control over RA and 1 of the YAs from there already. Even with the tele that allows the other player to try to sneak in they may make staying up there too easy.

(EDIT: Sorry for the double post btw.)

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 11-17-2010 01:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well aware of the clipping, actually haven't done any yet. Good point on the health, will have to look into it. As far as the items go, nothing is really set in stone, I just put what you see there to have something in the level. Any suggestions in item placement is greatly appreciated.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 11-17-2010 09:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks pretty cool. Keep up the good work.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-17-2010 11:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Jester! Hi, wow, Downloading now! :P.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-18-2010 07:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The map definitely looks nice. The layout seems a tad unbalanced, but it's different. I like it, actually.

Team Event -O- Horizon

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-18-2010 08:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok, after few minutes of running around - map looks quite solid. Texturing - it reminds me strongly ztn, but i can live with it. Didn't play it yet (bots are blah...) but one thing I don't like much is that there is only one real path to RA. Of course you can rj from lower levels, but still I think it could use another way to get there. Maybe some jumppad or tele?

clueless
clueless
PostPosted: 11-18-2010 10:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There is a tele to RA.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-18-2010 10:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

clipping should be the first item on your checklist before showing anything! :) - Mr. Clipping

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-18-2010 11:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dichtfux wrote:
There is a tele to RA.

Oh sh*** :o. Well so my advice was right I think ;).

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 11-18-2010 12:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry been some what busy here. I got the clipping done, should of done that a while ago. The new download can be found here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15159109/jgothbeta.RAR
Thank you all for looking it over. Any suggestions, send em my way.

clueless
clueless
PostPosted: 11-18-2010 01:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@Shadow: Yeah, right. ;)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-18-2010 01:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this is just me (it shouldn't be, but I just reformatted so I suppose it's possible), but I am missing some textures.

Here is where:

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy15 ... jgoth1.jpg
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy15 ... jgoth2.jpg
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy15 ... jgoth3.jpg

Also, you should probably clip these little edges if they aren't intended to be stood upon:

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy15 ... jgoth4.jpg

The clipping around the teleporters is slightly obtrusive. Players may sometimes have a hard time getting into the center (to teleport) due to the large clip size around the sides. I recommend either making them cylindrical or decreasing the size (and increasing the size of the tele triggers) to make them easier to use. Also, players are able to get behind one (if not all) of the teleporters. I recommend making that impossible by elongating the clips towards the wall more.

Team Event -O- Horizon

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 11-18-2010 01:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good point on the clipping around the teles. I will fix that asap. I must have missed the edges in that hallway. As far as the textures go, maybe mapmedia?

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 11-18-2010 06:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

great skills, pity about the lack of creativity.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-18-2010 06:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think it is a great map.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 11-18-2010 07:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lack of creativity? Care to explain. This map was a learning experience to get used to the editor. Is it the fact that I used base goth textures? Not trying to be confrontational but I need a little more than just a negative comment. I will say thank you to those that do try to help though. Aside from that, I have moved some items around to try and add more balance to the map. Same download as before.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 11-18-2010 08:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sorry im sick right now, it was a little short. there is no theme or concept, base gothic. after all these years, its really been done to death.

you have great skills. its well built, runs great and is fun to play. for a learning map you have done a hell of a job.

but from an aesthetic pov im hoping that next time you build something original, from your brain, not just copying the id style. trust me, you are not alone in this problem, quite a few mappers have the same issue, not being able to put their own style into 3d, taking the easy route and replicating what has already been done. original maps are hard to build, after a while we get in grind mode and just churn out the same thing over and over. hmm or maybe it because mappers are not meant to be creative? is that for the art dept? are we just like builders on a construction site? getting told what to do and just doing it... hmmm

sorry, i dont mean to sound harsh, been on lots of pain killers and had no real sleep for a few days etc, brains a bit fried...

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-18-2010 11:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I personally think you've nailed the gothic theme perfectly. It's difficult to make a gothic map and still have it looking good on todays standards, but I think you've pulled it off.

For someone who's just started Q3 mapping, you're surprisingly quite good at patch work from what I can see.

My only suggestion I have is having a way to plasma climb from PG to RA. I understand that it'd entail changing a whole bunch of geometry in that section but it's just something to ponder on.

Great work!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-19-2010 12:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fkd, I assume you simply don't know Jester :). He's no newbie and belive me, he has hell of experience and also his own developed style. This map is just what it says it is - learning/introducing to q3 engine thing. Give him a little time, and you will be impressed ;).
Just check that - http://j-spot.backshooters.com/maps.html.

Jester - I'm a fan of your q2 work, you simply pushed q2 mapping to new - better level. And I even won't mention that great q2w map, cool to have you here, and I'm sure you will bring sth amazing soon. Without making things too sweet - I really think that your work is just 'ultimate q2 style'.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-19-2010 03:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't think copying the id software style is a bad thing to be honest. In fact, among all the other maps we see these days, it's refreshing to see a back-to-basics look in a map.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-19-2010 09:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I must agree with fKd. I would like to see this level in else theme with something memorable. But on the other side, design of this level is amazing no less than atmosphere.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 11-19-2010 01:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok, maybe I will try to redo it something a little different. Looks aside for, how is the item layout?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-19-2010 04:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I kinda agree with some things I've heard about the gothic style being done to death....but I think the simple solution is to...not play those maps. However, just in establishing if this is a quality map or not, I believe it is a very high quality map. It has all of the things that fit together well to make (what I think) constitutes a good map. This map really nails a lot of enjoyable gameplay, an ok weapon distribution, and looks spectacular. I say, keep up the good work.

I'm sorry if this is a known issue, but I couldn't help but notice this:

*re-edit - quake3world won't accept images from tinypic.com? what gives?
and it blocks the name of the domain? It starts with a T and rhymes with "RinyPic"

If you used all baseq3 textures and shaders...how is there a missing texture? is my quake 3 install just crazy?

for a map like this, I might try to work on the ambience, I know quake 3 supports some neat sound functions in maps that would make it easy to add the sound of a ghostly wind or some other creepy whatevers.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 11-19-2010 04:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The missing texture appears to be from the mapmedia file. I think I am going to redo the map in a more accepting look but if you have suggestions on item placement please pass them along.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-19-2010 05:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think it has the right weapon layout for the kind of map that it is....

I do something different in my maps, I do large blocks of guns and their ammo, so when you pick up a rocket launcher, it comes with like a billion rockets, also if you're running through at high speed, you don't have to hunt for ammo quite so much. One reason I do this is because it allows for weapon favoritism. You're never forced to use a weapon you don't want to use (generally).

The way you have it set up is more "pro" I think, and makes people do more with less. Which I also think can be a good thing, it's just less excessive. So I guess in the end, consider what your goals are with your map are, and if you want it to lean a certain way, just weigh that against your goals.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 11-21-2010 12:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

unless your opponent/s camps the guns. that really is not a good way to place items steve.

for the kinda gameplay you are explaining ppl will play ra3 where they all have all the guns etc, but in vanilla q3 etc it does not play out well at all.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-21-2010 12:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

But I think gothic style is really good and changing it is REALLY wrong. I thought just only to add some significant details.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-21-2010 06:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I second this post above: If used correctly (what you do) the gothic set is good for the eyes and aiming. It's not as distracting as a fancy tech/lightning set. That's probably why I can't play UT3 it's too much details. In Single it's cool, in Multi it's bad.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.