Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Raven Software

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Raven Software

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-15-2010 10:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hello,

I read on a Dutch news site that Activision is firing a lot of Raven's employees. I also read that the studio will make DLC for other games in the future instead of big budget games. Can anyone confirm this? If so, that sounds like the end of a once classic studio.

Inf

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-15-2010 11:59 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Its true, yeah... But after the recent Raven games, what can I say? Its always a terrible thing when somebody loses a job they love, so really, my heart goes out to them... But after Wolf and Singularity, its about time Raven woke up and saw it wasn't 1999 anymore...

IMHO of course.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-16-2010 01:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

IMO they aren't making good games anymore, they need to start making games like they did in the 90's.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-16-2010 01:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No the trouble is that they are STILL making games like they did in the 90's, gameplay wise. They haven't adapted to the changing times at all, which is why they were left behind.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-16-2010 02:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No they're not, the games are nothing like they were in the 90's and their new stuff isn't fun. I don't think it's anything like the 90's.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 10-16-2010 05:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I see your 'yes' and I raise you a footstomping 'no'. :]

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-16-2010 07:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think they should not have sold out to Activision, that was probably their primary mistake. The success of a developer often depends on the whims of the publisher (they supply the funding and advertising, so when they say "jump" you jump). Bobby Kotick is one greedy jerk who doesn't understand the gaming industry in the slightest bit and has even said that he is only interested in publishing cheap sequels and franchises.

Satan, CEO of Activision wrote:
With respect to [the dropping of] the franchises that don’t have the potential to be exploited every year across every platform, with clear sequel potential that can meet our objectives of, over time, becoming $100 million-plus franchises, that’s a strategy that has worked very well for us... I think, generally, our strategy has been to focus… on the products that have those attributes and characteristics, the products that we know [that] if we release them today, we’ll be working on them 10 years from now.”

Wolfenstein had a rough start, it was started as something that was very different but then for whatever reason it was scrapped and was pieced back together with duct tape into something else. It's quite evident from playing the game that parts of it were of very high quality while other parts looked completely amateurish. I can only guess at what was going on at Raven, but the development reboot occurred shortly after Raven did the first series of mass layoffs. I suspect something very wrong occurred either internally at Raven or something between Raven and Activision. Regardless, they were never quite the same company after that.

Best of luck to the Q3W members who are at Raven, hope you still have your jobs or have something better with another company with a non-shit publisher. I know that pjw, and wviperw (also Lunaran and raven??) are at Raven. :(

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-16-2010 07:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lunaran left a long time ago. Or so I read on his website.

I played Wolf half way through and stopped. It had far too many quirks to make me want to finish. But there were some levels that were truly amazing. Singularity lasted about 20 minutes before I deleted it and to be honest, Quake 4 dissapointment me as well. I finished it, but I won't be coming back to that again.

So in retrospect, it's not that we didn't see it coming, it's just sad when it's finally there.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-16-2010 07:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks like Raven is working at Ubisoft Montreal. Lunaran is in Austin Texas, lots of game dev companies down there.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 10-16-2010 09:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

where's rgoer, isn't he a raven bod? hasn't posted for ages.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 10-16-2010 10:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Too much money in this biz - for the last ~10 years.
Consoles strong position doesn't really help...

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-16-2010 10:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes, roger worked at Raven as well but left a while ago. Google search shows he went to work for Red 5 and is now with LucasArts (Star Wars: Jedi Knight sequel perhaps?!?!).

I think sock also worked at Raven, but not sure exactly when.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 10-16-2010 05:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
I think they should not have sold out to Activision, that was probably their primary mistake. The success of a developer often depends on the whims of the publisher...

...Best of luck to the Q3W members who are at Raven, hope you still have your jobs or have something better with another company with a non-shit publisher. I know that pjw, and wviperw (also Lunaran and raven??) are at Raven. :(
What he said. ++ same sentiments to the guys we know landing on their feet :up:

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 10-17-2010 03:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sock, rgoer, pjw, raven (ford, right?), Hellchick, kungfusquirrel, ken20banks, and myself were all at raven at the same time. I think wviperw started after rgoer left, but otherwise we all overlapped. I don't if pjw and wviperw are still there after the last round of layoffs, but raven went in the first round and all the rest of us had already moved on in 2006-7.

I'm pretty sure rgoer is at Blizzard now.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-17-2010 04:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lunaran! How are you! What are you up to these days? People should visit more, I'm lonely.

Didn't know Hellchick was there too. And kungfusquirrel, haven't heard from him in forever. I don't know ken20banks.

I'm not sure about wviperw, but I know pjw was still there at least when Singularity was released. Hope he's doing okay, I haven't seen him anywhere online, so I hope he's just laying low for now.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-18-2010 12:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hellchick was at Raven? Really?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-18-2010 06:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

She left PlanetQuake to rot :(

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-20-2010 02:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

true dat, PQ went downhill fast after she went to GSI

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 10-20-2010 03:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that pappy guy does what he can. the lone watchman if you will, but yeah not much traffic around those parts these days...

sock worked on wolf, then off to crytek i think... could be wrong

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-20-2010 04:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pappy-R is awesome. He's really doing a lot to keep things in order, but IGN is picking his domain apart bit by bit. They single handedly killed an entire community by removing all the hosted sites from their network. Dumbest move ever, but I guess the execs in the suits don't care.

So Pappy-R is the last to blame, but it's really a shame that PQ went down the shitter (and all other planet sites to be honest).

Your Daddy
Your Daddy
PostPosted: 10-20-2010 07:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've met Pappy-R. He's cool.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 12-30-2010 09:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Edit: ^^^ Haven't met him in person, but he's always been very cool to me.

Oh hi.

Gee...I haven't even been here in a surprisingly long time. wviperw and I are indeed still at Raven. I'm still enjoying going to work--can't say much more than that.

NDAs suck balls like that. :)

Let's see if I can wander through a little more often in the future, since I'm ostensibly a mod and all.

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 12-30-2010 09:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

As a member of the forum I vote we have public shamings when inactive mods return.

Boooo!!!!!!

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 12-30-2010 09:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

*waves* *smiles*

Thanks man! :)

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-30-2010 10:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Public shamings, huh? Boy, I have a list of stuff that we can do that I've been saving for YEARS!

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 12-30-2010 10:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is that the list you showed me once? I thought we agreed that was NSFW and not suitable for a public forum?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 12-30-2010 11:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Boo?

Boo!?!?!

I'm not sure, but I don't think either pjw or wviperw (lucky bastards :P) were with Ravensoft when the company made Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force.

Excellent, excellent game, and then EF2 was a disaster... (not by Raven, but Ritual, horrible netcode: "rail" (rifle in EF) took half a second to register, not counting lag).

There aren't many sci-fi games out there anymore (well ok... apart from Lucasetc... but games which are FPS).

EF was an excellent game. Raven made it. Very fond memories.
Pity Q4 didn't make it, but EF: gameplay, simple graphics, added forcefields which made the game interesting.

Isn't that what Quake Live is thriving (thriving...? oh well) on?

CTF was really big in EF, which made for a huge following and community back then.

I know, I know, we don't need to get into that: more games now made the community splinter when 10 years ago there were only a hand full... Oh back when...

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-31-2010 08:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pjw wrote:
Is that the list you showed me once? I thought we agreed that was NSFW and not suitable for a public forum?

For you, we can make an exception. That's what abuses in power are for, right?

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 12-31-2010 10:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^^^ Agreed. :)

spookmineer wrote:
more games now made the community splinter when 10 years ago there were only a hand full... Oh back when...

You sound old. ;) But yeah, I agree to some extent. I think that some changes to game quality have happened as well. Once we used to get, say, 1 great game, 6 "eh" games, and 3 terrible games in X amount of time, where now we might get 2 great games, 30 "eh", and 5 terrible ones. I think there are fewer terrible games, proportionally, because the game industry is less niche, and there's more money and less risk-taking involved, but I also think there are proportionally fewer great games because of that as well.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.