Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        [BETA 005 *19.02.11*] Lumen

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: [BETA 005 *19.02.11*] Lumen

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-08-2011 09:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi guys!

I am pretty fresh in q3 mapping stuff...but I worked with few commercial projects for PC or ps3 FPS games ;)) . Now I have a vacations and want to create something good for hardcore gamers, just for fun.

I watched tons of demos, tons of vods, and downloaded tons of maps... after all, i started working on mine map.

LUMEN 005 - arrives
Map is pretty small, 1on1 duel, vq3 gameplay.

DOWNLOAD gameshare: http://www.gamefront.com/files/20022878/map_Lumen_005.pk3
DOWNLOAD megafile: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XVAABFR4

Quote:
---------------INFO_005---------------
weapons: 1x RL, 1x LG, 1x RG,1x GL,0x PG, 1x SG
addons: 1x RA, 1x YA,1x MH, 0x 50hp, 3x 25hp, 7x Bubbles, 6x Shards,
---------------CHANGELOG_005---------------
*Bots added
*Green armor added
*Boxes added
*Teleport to RA added
*Bigger RL-ammo area
*Easier jump to YA
*Some health moved
*Clips added
*Lift to RL ammo added
*Jumppad to RL added
*Details added
---------------TO DO 006---------------
*Doors models
*Jumppad models
*Teleports models
*Lifts models

Quote:
---------------INFO_004---------------
addons: 1x RA, 1x YA, 6x Shards, 0x 50hp, 3x 25hp, 4x Bubbles

---------------CHANGELOG_004---------------
*Fixed weapon placement
*Fixed ammos placement
*Fixed health and shards placement
*Textures added
*Details added
*Caulk / Detail brush added
*Player clips
*Spawns fixed
*Sky added

---------------TO DO 005---------------
*Boxes models
*Nav bots file

Quote:
---------------INFO_003(DaEngineer's ver.)---------------
weapons: 1x RL, 1x LG, 1x RG,0x GL, 0x PG, 1x SG
addons: 1x RA, 1x YA, 11x Shards, 0x 50hp, 3x 25hp, 4x Bubbles

---------------CHANGELOG_003---------------
*New weapon placement (DaEngineer)
*New ammos placement (DaEngineer)
*New health and shards placement (DaEngineer)

Quote:
---------------INFO_002---------------
weapons: 1x RL, 1x LG, 1x RG, 1x GL, 1x PG, 1x SG
addons: 1x RA, 1x YA, 11x Shards, 1x 50hp, 4x 25hp, 4x Bubbles

---------------CHANGELOG_002---------------
*New weapon placement (DaEngineer,Anthem,obsidian)
*New ammos placement (DaEngineer,Anthem,obsidian)
*New health and shards placement (DaEngineer,Anthem,obsidian)
*Detail brushes - added
*Clip work - added
*Jumppads - fixed (DaEngineer)

QUAKE 3 SERVER : germany.maverickservers.com:27961 - by http://www.maverickservers.com/

QL version http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=2037906

Last edited by RasaArt on 02-20-2011 02:25 AM, edited 13 times in total.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 01-08-2011 09:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That map looks promising. I have a few suggestions:

• the railgun can only be reached by crouching. The player's much too vulnerable in this time. Leave that small gap in the wall where it is, but increase the size of the opening where the RG is, so it can be grabbed while running.
  • there are two packs of LG ammo right next to the LG. I'd put them somewhere else to make the player hunt for them
  • the jumppads are a bit too strong in general. Especially the one leading to the LG feels too powerful. Decrease it's force a little
  • later on, make the skybox much higher to allow rocket jumping in this area
  • where the LG is (yeah, the evil LG again :D) push the walls in like this:

This way navigation in this area will feel more fluently

This map already feels like it's going to be a nice one. I'll have to play it longer to be able to tell if your itemplacement can be improved, but I'll surely do that. What texture style are you planning to use?

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-08-2011 11:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wow! so fast answer thx u very much :)
so
1) ye. Rail idea is a bit weird but i did that cuz rail on that map is so strange, so i guess gameplay needed that, but its just my imagination of gameplay.
2) hmm...
3) You are right.
4) No problem :)
5) Agree, one more time!

Texture style... i was thinking about two sceneries.
Urban brooklyn, with many punk art, neons, dirty pipes, grafities, blocks etc...
or
Forgotten Factory with plants.
:)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-08-2011 12:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I like the connectivity of this map. The item layout is a tad sloppy, though. There are too many weapon pickups in groups (too many different weapons in one area) and there are a few of the same weapon within a second or two of each other. Both of the weapons of which there are two -- the Rocket Launcher and Shotgun -- are extremely close to each other, so it isn't necessary to have two in the map. Another problem I saw was that the Lightning Gun area seems to be an afterthought. The rest of the map is so connective, and then there is a dead end jump pad platform for the Lightning Gun. I think if you are able to spread the weapons around a bit you could incorporate the Lightning Gun into the flow of the layout. I also think the Grenade Launcher would be better on an upper level since it is used to spam lower levels. I also don't like when ammo boxes are so close to the weapon for which they give ammo. Instead of having the Lightning Gun ammunition next to the Lightning Gun, I would spread them around the map a bit more.

Another small issue is the distribution of health and armor. Next to the yellow armor is a +50 health bubble. This should not be the case. Instead, separate the +50 health bubble and the yellow armor as you would with a red armor and mega health. The mega health and red armor may need to be moved a bit due to their locations relative to the weapons around them. The mega health is extremely close to the Rocket Launcher, which may be seen as overpowered. The red armor is really close to the Railgun, which also may seem overpowered. Consider this if you change your layout. Good weapons to have close to the mega health are the Shotgun, Grenade Launcher and Plasma Gun. They are useful in their own ways, but they aren't entirely as powerful as the Rocket Launcher, Lightning Gun or Railgun.

The map looks promising, though. Keep up the good work.

Team Event -O- Horizon

NoGhost Map Making Competition 2 (June 2010)

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-08-2011 07:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Agree with the above on item placement. Q3 is a game of control for items so item placement is crucial to gameplay. Keep large items like armour, mega and other power-ups away from one another, you shouldn't be able to grab 2 or more very quickly.

In Q3, you would almost never put ammo right next to the gun. Keep ammo sparse and in places that are further away from the gun.

The overall goal on item placement is to prevent any one area from becoming to powerful. It allows players to camp the area and continuously do laps around a certain section to keep topping up on important items. This leads to imbalance. Instead, you want to spread stuff out so the player is forced to keep moving to opposite ends of the map for items that he may potentially need.

Also, Dexter Season 5?

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-09-2011 05:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thx a lot, these answers gave me new look at gameplay! Now i can modify items placement for better, i guess.

Is it good time to make 002 or I should still waiting for more answers?:-) becouse in my experience, we made new revisions few times in a week, im not sure how it looks in q3 scene.

PS. Lumen was so cute ;-)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-09-2011 08:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I would make 2 revisions a week at the most. Otherwise we are overwhelmed and unable to help. Keep it up for a day or two more to see if anyone else wants to add their input unless you are content with what you have right now and can make changes. If you do make changes, make a change log of exactly what you changed. This will help guide those who have been reading the topic through that which they should inspect.

Essentially, just make sure everyone has the time to comment at least until you get the feedback you desire.

Team Event -O- Horizon

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-10-2011 07:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Guys, is any chance to get textures from QuakeLive? I saw there a awesome bricks textures used on map called qzca1. Can i loan it or its prohibited?

Lumen002 , soon! tonight! with few geometry changes and new item placement! :)

Last edited by RasaArt on 01-10-2011 08:46 AM, edited 3 times in total.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-10-2011 07:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You are not legally permitted to use Quake Live exclusive game assets for Quake 3 and vice versa.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-10-2011 02:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HI mates!
i did that best as i can, but still waiting for criticism :-)

Lumen_002
---------------INFO_002---------------
weapons: 1x RL, 1x LG, 1x RG, 1x GL, 1x PG, 1x SG
addons: 1x RA, 1x YA, 11x Shards, 1x 50hp, 4x 25hp, 4x Bubbles

---------------CHANGELOG_002---------------
*New weapon placement (DaEngineer,Anthem,obsidian)
{RG moved to SG_mh_001} {LG moved to SG_gl_001} {GL moved to RL_mh_001} {SG moved to mh area} {PG added to LG_001} {SG_gl_001 - deleted}

*New ammos placement (DaEngineer,Anthem,obsidian)

*New health and shards placement (DaEngineer,Anthem,obsidian)
{50hp moved to ~RG_002} {25hp added to 50hp_001} {25hp added to ~LG_002} {4x shards added to mh area} {1x shard tele area - deleted}

*Detail brushes - added

*Clip work - added

*Jumppads - fixed (DaEngineer)

DOWNLOAD rapid: http://rapidshare.com/files/441874669/map_Lumen_002.pk3
DOWNLOAD speedyshare: http://www.speedyshare.com/files/26186778/map_Lumen_002.pk3

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 01-13-2011 03:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I played your map again. The details you have added are nice, but the item layout is still much too scattered, with too much items in total. I decompiled your map, deleted all the weapons, tried to find new places for them, corrected some ideas I first had and then worked on the ammo. Here's what I changed in detail:

- deleted the PG and the GL (and all their ammo boxes). RG, RL, SG and LG remain
- the railgun stays where you've put it
- moved the YA next to the PG and the RL ammo to the place where the PG was
- deleted the playerspawn that's intersecting the 25 health on the socket behind the YA
- replaced the GL at the jumppad with the shotgun
- replaced the LG on the orange socket with the RL
- put the LG on the floor of the big room with the RG ammo and the 25 health on a crate
- splitted up the 50 health bubble into 2x25 health. The first bubble stays where the 50 bubble was, the second one can be found on the balcony with the PG ammo (=> PG ammo replaced with 25 health)
- RL ammo and SG ammo near the LG (now RL) replaced with one pack of LG ammo
- all other items I've not mentioned stay where they are

I played against Xaero, Hunter and Anarki (1on1) with this item layout and it played damn well. Give it a try and tell me, what you think about.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-14-2011 07:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For those wondering those textures are made by the Warsow mapper 36. You can get the latest ones from there:
http://www.warsow.net/forum/mapping/topic-22806/

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-30-2011 11:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you didn't give up on this, did you RasaArt?

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-30-2011 01:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no! hell no:)
im still working on it... now i have a little delay becouse my desktop died, and i have to work on laptop so it is a bit harder but i make a progress step by step;]

thx :)

PS. ye DaEngineer , i included 75% of your ideas:)

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 01-30-2011 01:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

RasaArt wrote:
now i have a little delay becouse my desktop died

This seems to be some kind of trend lately.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 02-02-2011 05:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

guys... i extracted pak0 ... pak7 and i didnt find any md3 or ase misc_model, where can i get it ?:[ i needa a orginal lights or torches.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 02-02-2011 05:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They can be found in the pak0.pk3. Go to models\mapobjects. Are you sure there aren't the ones you are looking for? You have to extract the models folder to open it in Radiant, but I guess you already know that.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 02-02-2011 05:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hmmm... i did that before but in pak0 models/mapobjects are only jpgs and tga... eee... any idea?

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 02-02-2011 06:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You are right, my fault. Download the Quake 3 Media Update here, it contains all textures that are necessary for Radiant as well as the models.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 02-02-2011 12:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Models works perfectly...
but... :( quake engine doesn't like me i guess cuz, now i have a problems with SKY, i used textures /skies/dimclouds (or base) but it doesn't work.

Last edited by RasaArt on 02-17-2011 01:29 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-02-2011 12:34 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you dont have fastsky turned on do you?

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 02-02-2011 12:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no :/ it doesnt make any effect r_fastsky 1/0, sky texture still looks like a default sky texture without any shader.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-02-2011 01:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Make sure the skies.shader is included in your shaderlist.txt so the compiler knows to reference that shader file. Other than that... try some other sky textures to see if they all do it or just that one.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 02-04-2011 02:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Little bump:)

Preview Lumen_003. (+sharpen)

-regards

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-04-2011 04:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

n1

Looking forward to playing it.

Team Event -O- Horizon

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 02-05-2011 04:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, that definitely looks good!

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 02-13-2011 03:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Guys, is somewhere like that halo light effect or similiar in baseq3?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-13-2011 07:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This isn't in baseq3, but the light effect is similar to one used in this map:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=44371

Team Event -O- Horizon

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 02-13-2011 10:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LUMEN 004 - arrives

DOWNLOAD rapid: http://rapidshare.com/files/447746098/map_Lumen_004.pk3
DOWNLOAD speedyshare: http://www.filefactory.com/file/b563h91/n/map_Lumen_004.pk3

SERVERS:

Quote:
---------------INFO_004---------------
addons: 1x RA, 1x YA, 6x Shards, 0x 50hp, 3x 25hp, 4x Bubbles

---------------CHANGELOG_004---------------
*Fixed weapon placement
*Fixed ammos placement
*Fixed health and shards placement
*Textures added
*Details added
*Caulk / Detail brush added
*Player clips
*Spawns fixed
*Sky added

---------------TO DO 005---------------
*Teleports models
*Jumppads models
*Doors models
*Boxes models
*Nav bots file

Last edited by RasaArt on 02-14-2011 07:56 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-14-2011 04:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks a lot better than alpha, but the detailing is a bit weird to me. It's interesting and varied, but I don't really like that Gothic is mixed with pipes. Also, there is a lot of lava, which might be bad for gameplay. Other than that it's pretty interesting.

The only piece of advice I would give you is that simplicity is sometimes the best form of detailing. Don't detail so much that the gameplay suffers and you will be fine.

Team Event -O- Horizon

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 02-14-2011 06:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No need for picmip screenies imo, the people who really want Quake to be ugly can just use normal screenies and crank up their monitor gamma to highest, invert colors or something.

I like the pipes btw, they aren't shiny metal pipes so I don't think they really clash.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 02-15-2011 01:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am really glad to say :

DE Server -up- MaverickServers :
/connect 78.159.115.81:27961
/callvote map Lumen004

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 02-19-2011 05:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LUMEN 005 - arrives
Map is pretty small, 1on1 duel, vq3 gameplay.

DOWNLOAD gameshare: http://www.gamefront.com/files/20022878/map_Lumen_005.pk3
DOWNLOAD megafile: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XVAABFR4

Quote:
---------------INFO_005---------------
addons: 1x RA, 1x YA,1x MH, 0x 50hp, 3x 25hp, 7x Bubbles, 6x Shards,
---------------CHANGELOG_005---------------
*Bots added
*Green armor added
*Boxes added
*Teleport to RA added
*Bigger RL-ammo area
*Easier jump to YA
*Some health moved
*Clips added
*Lift to RL ammo added
*Jumppad to RL added
*Details added
---------------TO DO 006---------------
*Texturing
*Doors models
*Jumppad models
*Teleports models
*Lifts models

QUAKE 3 SERVER : germany.maverickservers.com:27961 - by http://www.maverickservers.com/
/callvote map lumen005
QL version @ http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=2037906

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-09-2011 02:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

These are promising screenshots. Downloading now!
By the way, the gamefront download is dead already.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.