Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        lightmapFilterRadius and surfacelights

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: lightmapFilterRadius and surfacelights

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-04-2005 08:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cross posted from SplashDamage Q3Map2 Support Forums, but doesn't seem as if many people are there anymore:
http://www.splashdamage.com/index.php?n ... ic&t=11910

Quote:
Maybe I'm doing something silly, or maybe something else, but I can't seem to get lightmapFilterRadius working with ordinary surfacelights.

Part of the shader:

Code:
textures/obsidian_purity/light
{
   q3map_backSplash 0 8
   q3map_lightRGB 1 1 1
   q3map_lightSubdivide 64
   q3map_lightmapFilterRadius 0 8
   q3map_surfaceLight 3000
   surfaceparm nomarks
   {
      ... texture stages
   }
}

Quote:
I tried adding q3map_lightmapFilterRadius to the shadow receiving surface (all the non-light emitting textures) and it seems to work, but this isn't a good idea since it means that basically all surfaces in the map will have filtered lightmap shadows, whereas adding it to the surfacelight shaders will mean that only surfaces within range of the surfacelight will be filtered.

Currently, I don't get any filtering at all, it's as if I didn't have lightmapFilterRadius at all. IIRC, it does work on surfacelights as well as sun/sky lights.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 05-04-2005 05:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's odd. lightmapFilterRadius should work for all lightsources...

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-09-2005 06:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

On the other forum, Fracman is getting similar results, no lightmap filtering with surfacelights - so at least it's not just me doing something silly.

Here's a screenshot using the shader above with r_lightmap 1:

... and the way it should look like with lightmapFilterRadius 8 0 on the non-light-emitting (wall) shaders, forcing lightmap filtering on all lightmaps.

The other issue that I'm dealing with has to do with ambient occlusion. It creates some odd results along the edges where surfacelights meet the other surfaces. I was wondering if there's any clever workaround.

With -dirty:

Without -dirty:

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 05-09-2005 07:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Do those brushes butt up to each other and don't overlap?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-09-2005 07:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I map clean. No overlapping.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.