Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Problem with curves

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Problem with curves

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 03-09-2011 04:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi there! I'm having troubles with curves and placing textures. Let me explain:

There the square cylinder has a lighter colour than the right one. Are there any solutions? Or it's just a texture/shader problem?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-09-2011 07:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Are you talking about the bands on the barrel? Make them out of 3 normal cylinder patches, one for the side, one for bottom and one for top.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 03-09-2011 09:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah don't use squale cylinders for that, as the surface normals are messed up when joining two together (Which results in the dark shaded effect you see).

As Obs said, just use seperate patches.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 03-09-2011 10:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Better yet, for props like barrels, create models.

With this engine's LOD system, I found patches are only useful for very basic geometry, rounding off corners etc.
If you try more complex stuff, you will very likely run into nightmarish time consuming shit, where patch subdivisions don't match up resulting in sparklies, or in this case lighting issues.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 03-09-2011 02:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Let say you would model your barel, it would give something like this

Because there is a limitation on the number of vertices per surface when exporting a map that contain a model you would then try to separate the belts from the main barel body. It would then result in the barel being lit differently, but still you would get more polys for the belts. Then you might want further more polys for the belts and might have to cut the barel in 2 or more parts etc. But it gives you an idea of what you could get (http://serge.billault.pagesperso-orange ... /barel.pk3)

In the end it's up to you to decide. There might be some good q3 assets around to find on google.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.