Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        EntityPlus - A single player Q3 mod

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: EntityPlus - A single player Q3 mod

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-19-2011 10:20 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You're absolutely right deqer. I've added the targetname/targetname2 keys to info_player_start in the entities.def file, with a reference to the notes. Thanks for spotting.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-20-2011 11:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok, I am done. I hope it is ok :) Suggestions are welcomed.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 09-20-2011 12:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"prison" should read "cage", "dangerous" read "gay", "destroy" should read "feed", and "criminal" should be "dinosaur".

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-20-2011 03:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Put in Primary Objective: Bounty hunters Phantazm11 and ShadoW will help assist you in tracking down Cityy.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 09-20-2011 03:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

EmeraldTiger wrote:
Put in Primary Objective: Bounty hunters Phantazm11 and ShadoW will help assist you in tracking down Cityy.

...?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-21-2011 04:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Noruen sent me the image file and I've integrated it into the mod. It looks nice and gives a little more room for the objective descriptions. Making the deaths and score counters red looks good as well, but I'm a bit torn between keeping the original green text or going for the greyish white as in the screenshot for the objective text. I'm leaning towards white right now though.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-21-2011 04:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Green vs white:

White looks better, right?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-21-2011 04:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes, hard to say. I would say green because the color indicates that it's an objective rather plain white text. Although I like white too. I guess I go with green.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-21-2011 05:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

White.
Green might indicate some special sort of text - like an objective - but thats the whole point of the objective overlay.
the Green + red + orange + yellow makes it very seizure-inducing.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-21-2011 05:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah thought so too. The green is too much color in there.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 09-21-2011 07:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

From a usability standpoint, go with white.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 09-21-2011 07:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

how about having the black (concrete) texture have some transparency

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-26-2011 12:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

EntityPlus 1.0 released!

The past six months have been building up to this point. The 1.0 release of EntityPlus is finally here! The past weeks I've focused on fixing bugs (and boy, did quite a few turn up) and tweaking a few things. This release mostly just fixes a lot of issues that have been found with the beta1 release but it adds a few new things as well. Here's the complete list of changes:

• [Added] g_debugCameras cvar to log info_camera debugging info to console.
  • [Added] optional minversion key to arena files.
  • [Added] playermodel and playerheadmodel keys to worldspawn entity.
  • [Added] TARGET_PLAYER spawnflag to shooter_ entities
  • [Added] dmg key to shooter_ entities.
  • [Added] Support for color and light keys in target_modify.
  • [Added] NO_PLAYER, NO_BOTS and NO_SHOOTER spawnflags to func_breakable.
  • [Fixed] func_door_rotating spawnflags are incorrect.
  • [Fixed] Using SUBTITLE spawnflag on target_print displays value of wait key instead of message.
  • [Fixed] Subtitles are not visible during cutscenes.
  • [Fixed] Lightning gun continues firing during cutscenes.
  • [Fixed] Player's viewangles are not locked during a cutscene.
  • [Fixed] Crouching becomes useless due to extreme low speeds when being affected by a target_playerspeed that lowers the player's speed.
  • [Fixed] Camera activates triggers, doors and plats when moving through them during cutscenes.
  • [Fixed] Camera pitch sometimes makes unintentional complete roll in cutscenes.
  • [Fixed] Player spawns with gauntlet and machinegun with 0 ammo when going through a target_mapchange without having any weapons.
  • [Fixed] Deferred models aren't loaded when the objectives overlay is displayed.
  • [Fixed] func_timer's random value defaults to 1 instead of 0.
  • [Fixed] Colors of key icons get distorted when health drops below 25.
  • [Fixed] When a connection error occurs a blank screen without error message is shown.
  • [Fixed] Game crashes when no active spawnpoints are found.
  • [Fixed] shooter_ entities deal full damage instead of damage scaled by skill level.
  • [Fixed] shooter_ and target_effect entities cannot be unlinked by target_unlink.
  • [Fixed] Game crashes when shooter_ entity shoots a func_breakable.
  • [Fixed] Replaced info_player_deathmatch entitiy in example map with an info_player_start entity.
  • [Fixed] Credits roll doesn't overrule s_musicvolume setting anymore.
  • [Changed] Objectives notification is drawn on top of letterbox, fades and overlays.
  • [Changed] Skill based score modifier runs from 1.0 (easiest skill) to 1.4 (hardest skill) now.
  • [Changed] Cutscenes run at a fixed FOV of 90.
  • [Changed] It is no longer possible for a second player to connect to the server.
  • [Changed] Setting cg_letterBoxSize to 0 completely removes letterbox effect.
  • [Changed] New objectives overlay.

Most important changes:

Specifying a minversion in the .arena file
Arena files can be expanded with a "minversion" key that can be used to specify which version of EntityPlus is required to run this map. At this point, only a value of "1.0" is supported. Refer to chapter 4.5 ("Creating an .arena file for your map") of the manual for more information.

Skill score modifier
The score modifier for the skill level that is being played at now runs from 1.0 to 1.4. This means that the skill level has less of an impact on the final score. This also means that playing at Nightmare difficulty will most likely result in a lower score than people have been achieving so far. Therefor it is advised to remove the EntityPlus/Games/ep_example.epgame file if upgrading EntityPlus from an older version.

func_timer's default random value
Quake 3 would assume a default random value for func_timers of 1. In EntityPlus this has changed to 0. So if you have used any func_timers in a map that do not explicitly specify a random key, it is advised to specify a random value of 1.

shooter_ entities damage level
Shooter_ entities would deal the full amount of damage. From 1.0 onward, the skill level that is being played at influences the damage for shooter_ entities in the same way as it does with the amount of damage bots deal.

Specifying model/headmodel through worldspawn
The playermodel and playerheadmodel keys can be added to the worldspawn entity to force the player model that the player will be playing with.

Download: http://code.google.com/p/entityplus/dow ... us-1.0.zip
The Manual: http://code.google.com/p/entityplus/downloads/detail?name=manual%201.0.pdf

So, what's up for the future?
First of all, I'm dying to see you guys make some maps. I've seen that there are two, maybe three people working on something but I have no idea what the status is on that (except for deqer with his map, who seems excessively enthusiastic about the whole thing. You go boy). I'm working on a map myself as well. I have no idea how long it'll take me to wrap that up, but I'm hoping in the next three weeks or so.

As for the mod itself, I'll continue implementing new features and fixing things as time allows it. I'm thinking of branching the code off into a seperate v2.0 branch where I'm going to try and make it possible to support cooperative play. However, there needs to be some reason to put my time into this. Six months into development and not a single person has released a map yet. I hope that now that there's a v1.0 release, people will start working on maps.

It's really a lot of fun to work on a map for this. There is so much possible and you can be real creative with it. Just give it a shot :)

Last edited by Eraser on 09-26-2011 04:10 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-26-2011 02:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For 2.0, I suggest EntityMinus. And definitely coop/mp.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-26-2011 03:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

or EntityPlusPlus

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 09-26-2011 04:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wait, what is this shit. Fuck you Noruen and Obsidian :p

Edit: Also, fuck you Eraser.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-26-2011 05:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

<3 :olo:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-26-2011 05:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

gimmie gimmie gimmie.

thx for the download. muwhahahahaha!

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 09-26-2011 06:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was wondering how long it would take him to read that. :olo:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-26-2011 08:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The example map is way better now. I can actually get past the second room now. Fun map! I was impressed with the draining part too.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 09-26-2011 01:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Congratulations! Now where them maps at?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-26-2011 02:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think white for the objectives is good for quest descriptions and colors will then describe quest status. Green for accomplished, red for failed (like losing a teammate or smth like this), and orange/yellow for... dunno. Maybe telling the traveler that he is near his objective point?

Idea: Dunno if it has been implemented already, but what about a trigger which activates another trigger.
e.g: You are on a platform. If you jump down in the right moment you'll fall down safely. But if you are standing too long on the mover you will be transported into a trigger, which activates a trigger_hurt, which is overlaying itself over the hole.
Something like a func_door, but with trigger attributes.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-28-2011 03:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I felt like doing something completely useless so I added a paintball mode :D

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-28-2011 05:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
There are various ways of activating entities without the need for the player to do so. Examples are func_timer or func_delay or the trigger_death or trigger_frag entities. What exactly do you need?

for example target_score and target_kill need to be activated "directly";
if they are placed at the end of a relay-chain, they have no effect!
(the engine just doesnt seem to know, who activated it.)

Eraser wrote:
As for trigger_gameEnd, the closest thing we have is target_finish, which actually ends the game. I'm not sure what you want to do when the end of the level has been reached...?

As u said, the trigger_once/always fires, when the game starts!
The trigger_gameEnd shall fire, when the game ends
(when the time-/fraglimit is hit)!

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 09-28-2011 06:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Do we have night vision goggles? Would be interesting to use them to see triggerable lasers for some stealthy missions.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-28-2011 07:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What are your thoughts on the idea of an EP map forcing a "com_hunkmegs" setting? It would be a target_script that sets the com_hunkmegs and reloads the map upon start. Anyways, should I do that or should I still maintain the default of 56 and therefore optimize my map instead.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 09-28-2011 07:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have been following this thread for a while and I am really impress by all the new features (the new entities) this mod can add to the Quake 3 engine. Really great work Eraser, I can't believe how you seems to make all this easy. The true sign of a good programmer.

On to my personnel question :

I always dreamed of having the possibility of making a Quake 3 map with a kind of tool like a volumetric brush that is invisible in-game but where you can apply different gravity value. So when the player enter the brush while playing, inside this brush the gravity would be different compare to outside of that brush. You would have still a default gravity value for the map as it his with the vanilla q3 engine. Would that be possible or is it limited to some programming/engine limits that can't be done with this old game? I only got basic programming skills and I worked as a sysadmin for 2 different video game studio so I do understand a lot for game programming, but I am no expert in it whatsoever, I mostly looked after the servers... :P

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-28-2011 11:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ye, different gravity-devices would be great!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-28-2011 11:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just a new content flag would do the job. Just like water is a content flag which alters your physics while you're in it, you could do a similar thing for gravity.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-28-2011 10:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Do we have night vision goggles? Would be interesting to use them to see triggerable lasers for some stealthy missions.

lol no there's not but who knows, it could be done.

deqer wrote:
What are your thoughts on the idea of an EP map forcing a "com_hunkmegs" setting? It would be a target_script that sets the com_hunkmegs and reloads the map upon start. Anyways, should I do that or should I still maintain the default of 56 and therefore optimize my map instead.

No one's stopping you from doing anything, but to be honest, I'm not a big fan of the whole target_script entity because it can be used to silently modify client settings. I think it's up to the user to make sure com_hunkmegs is set to a decent value but if you really need to do it, it's possible so yea, you can.

dghost77 wrote:
I always dreamed of having the possibility of making a Quake 3 map with a kind of tool like a volumetric brush that is invisible in-game but where you can apply different gravity value.

Well, that's what we have target_gravity for. While it works slightly different than how you describe, you can set up your triggers to activate target_gravity so that one area of a map has a higher/lower gravity than another area of your map.

It is unfortunately not possible to change the gravity direction. So walking on walls or the ceiling is just not possible.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 09-29-2011 04:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dghost77 wrote:
I always dreamed of having the possibility of making a Quake 3 map with a kind of tool like a volumetric brush that is invisible in-game but where you can apply different gravity value.

Eraser wrote:
Well, that's what we have target_gravity for. While it works slightly different than how you describe, you can set up your triggers to activate target_gravity so that one area of a map has a higher/lower gravity than another area of your map.

It is unfortunately not possible to change the gravity direction. So walking on walls or the ceiling is just not possible.

dghost77, does the player teleport into the place that you want them to walk on walls? if so, put a big box of caulk around the room and turn the room into a rotating door. set up a trigger for the room. compile. count the seconds it takes for the wall to become the floor. exit the game. make it so when the trigger that targets the room is triggered, a target_delay is also triggered. set its wait value to the number that you counted and make the target_delay target the room. the outcome of all that: the room rotates onto its side, then stops.

set up another trigger that works the same way, but in reverse...

in this manner, you will be able to walk on the wall...but this theory of mine might not work, I've never tested it... ANYWAY, that might work for whatever you're trying to do. :) ...unless your map is one big room. :(

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-29-2011 04:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, awkward.
The func_door_rotating entity will help (or was it func_rotating_door? I always forget) because you can specify a number of radial degrees it should turn. No need to do time based calculations then.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 09-29-2011 06:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Have you .ent file of entities for the mod? I'm using GTK Radiant 1.5 ;-)
I can make .ent file from the .def file, but I must copy the XML tags from existing .ent file from baseq3.

So there are three options.
  • Use Radiant 1.4
  • Download ENT file
  • Make ENT file for QER1.5

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-29-2011 07:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Can you send me a .ent file for GtkRadiant 1.5
You can mail it to my @gmail.com mail address which is "eraesr". Or upload it somewhere so I can get it.

I'll see if I can write some program (if there isn't already one) that converts the GtkRadiant 1.4 entities.def file to a GtkRadiant 1.5 .ent file.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 09-29-2011 07:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser:
Hmm, no converter from def to ent file is anywhere.
So I must send .ent file to eraesr *_atSign_* gmail.com for converting to E+ entity definition file for qer15...

Anyway, your mod is very good. I've done the map and already found the one secret...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.