Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        EntityPlus - A single player Q3 mod

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: EntityPlus - A single player Q3 mod

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 09-29-2011 07:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A Q3Map2 updated entities.ent file is included with Quake3Extras. Has the added benefits of all the latest Q3Map2 supporting shizzle that isn't installed by default:

http://radiant.robotrenegade.com/downlo ... as_0.2.zip

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 09-29-2011 08:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
A Q3Map2 updated entities.ent file is included with Quake3Extras. Has the added benefits of all the latest Q3Map2 supporting shizzle that isn't installed by default:

http://radiant.robotrenegade.com/downlo ... as_0.2.zip

But I need ENT file for EntityPlus mod by Eraser.
I'm suggested to work in screen of GTK Radiant 1.5, so entities.ent for e+ is required in this way for me.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 09-29-2011 08:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm talking to Eraser, not you.

There is currently no entities.ent for Entity+. You'll have to wait for someone to make/convert one for GtkRadiant 1.5, which is what we are discussing.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 09-29-2011 09:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry, obsidian.
I've already sent the entities definition to eraser for convert it to Radiant 1.5 compatibile.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 09-29-2011 10:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@ GtkRadiant : Yeah I see what you mean, your example is a good idea to reproduce the effect of gravity with direction, "a la Mario Galaxy". I thought about it at first, because well, you can imagine all the cool possibilities (we could do real M.C. Escher like map), but no, I know that it couldn't be done (compared to Mario Galaxy) with the current engine of Q3A.

My example was much easier, I don't want teleport to a room with a different gravity, I want to walk right into it. If I use back my brush example, put a brush of certain height with the default value for g_gravity in the map, then on top of that brush, another one with a lighter gravity value, and then on top of that one a third brush with again a lighter value compared to the second one. So if you jump and get to the second brush the gravity will be at this brush level and if you can get higher you can even get to a different gravity. It's kind of reproducing the moon gravity, the higher you get the lighter you'll be.

Of course, you could do the exact opposite of my example, the higher you get, the heavier you will fall.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-30-2011 12:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Where does GtkRadiant 1.5 store the entities.ent file? In the scripts folder as well?

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 09-30-2011 03:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
lol, awkward.
The func_door_rotating entity will help (or was it func_rotating_door? I always forget) because you can specify a number of radial degrees it should turn. No need to do time based calculations then.

lol, I didn't know that was possible! :olo: :olo: :olo:

@dghost77

you can use some target_multiples and some target_gravitys to do that. target_gravitys can modify gravity for a certain area.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 09-30-2011 04:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser:
entities.ent files are in D:\Program Files\GTK Radiant 1.5.0\q3.game\modfolder\

Also there is file default_shaderlist.txt defining default usage of shader files.
modfolder is mod's folder name, such as EntityPlus.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-30-2011 04:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok, I wrote a simple application that can translate a GtkRadiant 1.4 entities.def file to a GtkRadiant 1.5 entities.ent file.
I did a test run on the EntityPlus definitions file and uploaded the resulting file to my Dropbox:
*edit: nevermind, the file is broken. I'm going to try and fix the conversion tool*
Can someone test it for me with GtkRadiant 1.5?

Last edited by Eraser on 09-30-2011 06:50 AM, edited 1 time in total.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 09-30-2011 06:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Can I get a copy of the application? I've been updating some of the SDK files for GtkRadiant and this will save me some time.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-30-2011 06:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's a command line tool:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18687963/Entity ... verter.zip

Note that I haven't actually been able to test the resulting entities.ent file yet, so it might generate broken files right now.

One thing to note is that GtkRadiant 1.5 .ent files specify the data type for each key. Because GtkRadiant 1.4 files are blissfully unaware of this, I had to somehow tell the tool what the data types are. This is where the xml files in the KeyTypes folder come in. They contain all of the keys and their respective data types.

If you're going to convert files for mods then you might want to add your own xml file to that to specify data types for custom key names. The tool will report any unknown keys.

You're also going to lose all comments that are present in the entities.def file. Since these comments aren't actually visible in GtkRadiant I don't think it's that much of a problem. You could always manually add them in after running the tool.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-30-2011 06:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh I just went ahead and installed gtkradiant 1.5
Looks like the conversion tool still has some error somewhere. I didn't get all the entities in Radiant. I'll have a look at this.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-30-2011 08:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

god damnit. im spending a bunch of time reworking the logic of my combat rooms so that it handles "retry" when player dies.

I can say though that the nodrop texture/brush is working great. I've setup several and their associated backpack entities now.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-30-2011 08:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

feature request: Delete a bot.

While a bot is alive and walking around, I want to be able to remove it from the game. Also know that when removing it, it should NOT trigger the deathspawn or any other surrounding logic. no Score adjustment. it should just be removed, or REVERTED.

When the player dies, I need a way to reset a room.

Currently I'm only able to have the player re-enter the room and he "finishes" damaging the Boss. But, I would prefer that the battle would RESTART with full health again to the bot. I need to delete bot, so that I may trigger/spawn it again.

If there a programmed bot index, then I would prefer it to be a REVERT rather a DELETE. so that no "count" or counters or logic are adjusted. It would be bot #1 again, not bot instance #2 -- I'm not even sure if that matters or if that affects me and my target/targetname logic -- perhaps it will work as normal/usual regardless of the instance # of the bot.

Thanks,

Edit:
I'm ABLE to live without this, but I would be sad -- anyways, at least I mentioned it and ask for it.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-30-2011 12:24 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok I fixed the conversion tool. It should generate a correct 1.5 file now. Do note that the 1.0 entities.def file won't convert correctly due to an error in the entities.def file that needs to be fixed before it can be converted.

I've also uploaded a converted entities.def file for GtkRadiant 1.5 which can be downloaded here

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-01-2011 03:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've uploaded v1.0.1 of EntityPlus which can be downloaded here. These are the fixes it applies:

- [Fixed] Game crashes when bot dies due to worldspawn hazard (trigger_hurt, slime, lava, falling damage, etc).
- [Fixed] Spawnflags for func_door_rotating

Thought I'd get that out the door asap.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-01-2011 03:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser,
a prediction spawnflag could be cool. So the shooter doesnt aim directly at the players position but at the predicted point.

Edit:
What is really fun to use is a different grappling_hook style. DF offers the following possibilities:

\df_hook_Type [ DEFAULT: 0 RANGE: 0 TO 3 ] - physics - grappling hook type

0 = Quake 3
1 = Swinging
2 = Pendulum
3 = Quake 2

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 10-01-2011 06:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Have anyone made maps for EntityPlus ever and uploaded to Internet? Also multi-level campaignes...

I'm making test level now, but if anyone have final campaigne, let me know please.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 10-01-2011 07:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have the entities.ent file for EntityPlus Radiant1.5, but I cannot see new items such as keys. I see only small green boxes (16x16), but old items from baseq3 are shown. Is it any bug of Radiant or there's some issue with entity definition file?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-01-2011 08:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost wrote:
I have the entities.ent file for EntityPlus Radiant1.5, but I cannot see new items such as keys. I see only small green boxes (16x16), but old items from baseq3 are shown. Is it any bug of Radiant or there's some issue with entity definition file?

Are you sure you configured GtKRadiant's Preferences to use Custom Quake III Modification, fs_game EntityPlus ?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 10-01-2011 08:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

deqer wrote:
CZghost wrote:

Are you sure you configured GtKRadiant's Preferences to use Custom Quake III Modification, fs_game EntityPlus ?

Yes, I'm sure, The map ep_example is in entityplus folder.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-01-2011 08:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost wrote:
Yes, I'm sure

Hmm, the only other thing I can think of then is that this page here: http://tremmapping.pbworks.com/w/page/22453182/GtkRadiant1_5-Win32 talks about a ".game" file that perhaps is needed as well.

Anyone confirm?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 10-01-2011 11:18 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

deqer wrote:
Hmm, the only other thing I can think of then is that this page here: http://tremmapping.pbworks.com/w/page/22453182/GtkRadiant1_5-Win32 talks about a ".game" file that perhaps is needed as well.

I have the q3.game file and also q3.game folder and inside is baseq3, defrag, cpma and EntityPlus folder which they respond to specific mods.

But the entities.ent doesn't work, so there must be any bug in the entity definition file.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-02-2011 02:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have no idea how this shizzle works in GtkRadiant 1.5

I am unable to get the EntityPlus entities to show up if I create an entityplus folder in the q3.game folder.

I previously got it to work by simply overwriting the entities.ent in the q3.game/baseq3 folder and setting the fs_game in GtkRadiant to entityplus, but I guess this is not the preferred method because it involves overwriting an original file.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-02-2011 04:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that's good. the more shit you have with 1.5, the better i feel about using 1.4. Thanks.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 10-02-2011 04:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Only renaming to entities-ep.ent will cause the file working. But mapper have to omit unsupported entities, because this only adds new entities and modify the old stored also in this new and baseq3 old.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 10-02-2011 05:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Noruen wrote:
Ok, I am done. I hope it is ok :) Suggestions are welcomed.

Do you can send me a copy of this campaign? I will test it and tell you, that you can make other or not. ;-))

OK. I just want any custom campaign to play, I'm making only one testing map. I won't share the test map to anyone.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-02-2011 08:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Its a mockup and not an actual entityplus map.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 10-02-2011 09:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes, but I've understood it after posting the reply.

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 01:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anyone have a example map for rotating door?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 02:39 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 07:01 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I use GIT rather than SVN and was surprised at just how easy it is to checkout the SVN repo with GIT. I still haven't tried making any patches from GIT to SVN though.

The two easy steps for you GIT users out there wanting to check out the EntityPlus code:

Create a new directory to store the files in. Switch to it and run -
git svn init http://entityplus.googlecode.com/svn/trunk

git svn fetch -rREVISION_NUMBER
(in this case the latest revision is 566 so run 'git svn fetch -r566')

Done deal.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 10-09-2011 02:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I feel kind of retarded.

I was pretty unimpressed with this mod after compiling it and giving it a run. I thought "nothing's really changed. Where's the backpack when I die? The UI looks the same."

Then I realized I had accidentally grabbed one of the very first commits with minimal changes and was compiling the completely wrong version.

I must say, quite impressive work man. I have a weird install since I was too lazy to find my quake 3 disc which is packed away in some box. Ended up using the demo version of Q3's pak0 file along with the 'latest pk3s' downloaded along with the IOQuake3 executable. Needless to say there's plenty of missing textures and models.

I wasn't able to get vm files working so I wound up compiling the mod as dlls.

Dumped a good hour in to fighting invisible bots on deque's krep1 map laughing my ass off when I first encountered a floating machine gun and not realizing what exactly I was looking at for a few seconds.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-09-2011 11:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's probably just me and my slow laptop, but I think there should be more than just a black screen between loading maps, since I'm stuck watching a black screen for a few seconds wondering if anything is happening. Maybe print 'loading:' with a small progress bar underneath it?

Also, deqer's mission seems to make the subtitles etc out of sync when pausing the game (pressing esc to go to menu), so there's possibly something there that isn't pausing that should be.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 10-13-2011 03:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

any news on a 1.5 fix? 1.4 wont save :/

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.