Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        EntityPlus - A single player Q3 mod

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: EntityPlus - A single player Q3 mod

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-10-2011 07:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Important
EntityPlus was hosted on Google Code, but this website will be or has been closed down. EntityPlus has migrated to GitHub. Existing links in this thread may at some point turn up dead.

Here's some direct links to release posts in the thread:
0.2, 0.3, 0.4, 0.5, 0.6, 0.7, 0.7.1, 0.8, beta 1, 1.0, 1.0.1, 1.0.2, 1.1, 1.1.1, 1.1.2, 1.1.3, 1.1.4, 1.1.5, 1.1.6, 1.1.7, 1.1.8, 1.1.9, 1.1.10

Original post below:

Recently I've been toying with the idea of invoking the creativity of Quake III Arena mappers with a new challenge of sorts.
Mapping challenges are nothing new to the level editing community. We've had challenges where you were limited in the number of brushes you could use, limited in the number of textures you could use, limited in the amount of time you could spend on it, limited in the gametypes you could use, etcetera, etcetera.

I'm repeating the word "limiting" so often on purpose, because I have a little plan that is most likely to fall flat on its face, but I want to throw it out there anyway, because this challenge would be anything but limiting.

The idea here is that I've started up a mod I've called "EntityPlus". It adds a few new entities to Quake 3 that mappers can use in maps. I've also made an updated entities.def file for it. The challenge here is that I'm hoping to try and get people to make maps using the entities in this mod, and not just the entities in this mod, but come up with your own entities you'd like to have in your map and me (or maybe if we can get some other people enthusiastic about it, someone else) can code it into the mod.

The final goal would be to create an expansive set of new entities that will allow mappers to create maps like they've never done before. I'm well aware that with Q3A's waning popularity, making maps that require a specific mod to be installed is not the most appealing idea, but I still think this could have its place. I'm mostly inspired by the recent single player competitions where people were challenged to create single player experiences in Quake 3 Arena. With EntityPlus, you could create single player experiences like you've never done before.

I'm not talking about a full fledged single player campaign driven kind of thing, but who knows where the mod could eventually end up. Let your creative juices flow and try to think outside of the box. If enough people are enthusiastic about this, we could create some really cool stuff.

So what is entityplus right now? Just 4 new entities:
  • target_gravity:
    This entity allows you to change the gravity setting for one player or all players in the game.
  • target_intermission:
    When triggered, this entity forces the game to end and continues to the intermission scoreboard.
  • target_logic:
    Is like a target_relay but works as an AND operator. Two triggers can target this entity and both need to be triggered for the target_logic to trigger its own target.
  • func_breakable:
    Entity applied to a (collection of) brush(es). The brush(es) are removed from the game when they receive a set amount of damage.

That list should grow considerably.

I've already made a first release package for the mod which includes the above features. It can be downloaded here. It includes a really basic example map named "entityplus.bsp" which shows the new entities in action.

So, does this tickle your imagination or do you think "meh"?

edit:
GitHub project page:
https://github.com/TheEnginesOfCreation/EntityPlus

Last edited by Eraser on 01-31-2022 01:01 AM, edited 23 times in total.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-10-2011 09:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Great idea. I will meditate :)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-10-2011 09:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've thought of such a mod, but actually ending up as a serious project that makes a new interest in the game and mapping for the specific mod.

I've tried my hand at making such a mod for a little while now, along with a host of new features and tweaks (and have achieved adding quite a few more entities, game types, new spawn functions, and generally more control over the entities etc.)... but experience has told me that almost any Quake community is against radical new ideas so I'm kind of sceptical of how popular it'll turn out :/ Still, you've got a good concept in mind, good luck with it! :up:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-10-2011 11:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

But I think it can be successful. What is really bad on Q3 are its limitations in entities.

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 03-10-2011 11:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Starting to sound like the Lazarus mod for q2, which i s cool!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-10-2011 11:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Can't you by some accident make true sp mod for q3? :). I would map for it to the end of my days ;).

Just rip RTCW code and put it together with q3 assets and physics :P.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-10-2011 11:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sounds like a cool idea. I think I might be interested. I`ll definitely be looking forward to it, and I`ll send in some of my entity suggestions as well in the near future. Make us proud Eraser! :up:

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 03-10-2011 11:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool beans, Eraser. If you put it on GitHub, I'll help you hack it (or at the very least follow it).

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-10-2011 11:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mod to make quake 3 like quake live. DO IT.

lol

Team Event -O- Horizon

NoGhost Map Making Competition 2 (June 2010)

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 03-10-2011 12:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ShadoW_86 wrote:
Can't you by some accident make true sp mod for q3? :). I would map for it to the end of my days ;).

I would even pay for it. This would be - by far - the coolest thing ever. The four new entities you made, Eraser, are a really good start. Although the func_breakable is very unspectacular yet, I would love to see it in action when it's fully developed, with some particle FX and fading debris (did I mention how awesome different material types like wood, stone, dirt [...] are?).

What I always have dreamed of are entities that can be combined. Just imagine brushwork that rotates and bobs at the same time. Or jumppads on bobbing brushes, or even on func_trains... I guess bots will be unable to understand maps with such features, but they wouldn't be a problem for humans.

Something like a controllable timer that activates or deactivates other entities would also be great. This would allow to create - for example - jumppads that are disabled and activate every 20 seconds for 5 seconds.

Another thing I dreamed of are entities that work like checkpoints in racing games and a "racing" mode to use them. Instead of using vehicles, one would still run around as usual and fight each other in dangerous landscapes at the same time while trying to reach the goal - like in Micro Maniacs (skip to 0:53).

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 03-10-2011 12:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Defrag has checkpoints.

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 03-10-2011 12:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What Misantropia said. :up:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 03-10-2011 02:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

don't suppose this mod could make it possible to 'parent' models to moving entities by any chance hmm?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-10-2011 04:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can already pair models to moving entities. :dork:

I would like to see support for animated models and entities supporting inverse kinematics. Basically, it would be cool if you could actually build a fully animated piston and drive shaft.

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 03-10-2011 10:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Obsidian succeeded in taking the words out of my mouth i wanted a piston entity. Also a func_rotating door would be cool. Also the ability to bind entities together like a func_rotate w/func_train.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-10-2011 11:22 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ShadoW_86 wrote:

I was thinking of some hacks to use the bots as single player monsters. Something like an entity that, when triggered, would spawn a bot. If that's in an area that's enclosed by botclip brushes the bot would be stuck to a specific area. But in all honesty, for a real SP mod, you'd need to do a lot of AI programming and it's something I know nothing about.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-11-2011 12:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
But in all honesty, for a real SP mod, you'd need to do a lot of AI programming

That's true... but not totally :). I could live with simple ai (like bots - but they shouldn't probably run all the time, walk rather). Just think about q1 and q2. What really monsters did there? Stood, and when saw you shoot, best ai ever :P. That's honestly what would be enough for me for start. Btw, in might modern UDK sp ai are just bots. They are controlled a little by waypoints, but overall they are just stupid bots...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-11-2011 12:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^misantropia^ wrote:
Cool beans, Eraser. If you put it on GitHub, I'll help you hack it (or at the very least follow it).

I know your obsession with GitHub so I tried getting my code up there, but 15 minutes of dicking around didn't get me anywhere, so until I figure out how that all works, I've set up a Subversion repository over at Google Code:

https://code.google.com/p/entityplus/

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-11-2011 01:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

EmeraldTiger suggested adding a shooter_bfg entity to stay consistent with shooter_rocket, shooter_plasma and shooter_grenade. This was easy enough to do right away so I added it in the code.

Madman Philosophy
Madman Philosophy
PostPosted: 03-11-2011 01:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
ShadoW_86 wrote:

I was thinking of some hacks to use the bots as single player monsters. Something like an entity that, when triggered, would spawn a bot. If that's in an area that's enclosed by botclip brushes the bot would be stuck to a specific area. But in all honesty, for a real SP mod, you'd need to do a lot of AI programming and it's something I know nothing about.

This. Quake two was brilliant, and Quake 4 was not what it should've been. If you can make a q3 sp... That, seems to me, is what everyone was expecting. The sp in Q3W was simply a basic training thing. :shrug: I love the game, but, sometimes I just wanna be alone. Please don't let this drop.

Need missions... AHHHHHH!!!!!!

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 03-11-2011 07:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
^misantropia^ wrote:

I know your obsession with GitHub so I tried getting my code up there, but 15 minutes of dicking around didn't get me anywhere, so until I figure out how that all works, I've set up a Subversion repository over at Google Code:

https://code.google.com/p/entityplus/

It's a start. =)

Let me know if you want some pointers on how to use git and GH, I'll be happy to help.

By the way, your initial commit already contains changes. Makes it hard to track what changed and why.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 03-11-2011 07:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Peenyuh wrote:
This. Quake two was brilliant, and Quake 4 was not what it should've been. If you can make a q3 sp... That, seems to me, is what everyone was expecting. The sp in Q3W was simply a basic training thing. :shrug: I love the game, but, sometimes I just wanna be alone. Please don't let this drop.

Need missions... AHHHHHH!!!!!!

There are a few Q3 SP mods out there, some googling should find them.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-11-2011 02:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also, a scripted sequence type of system would be nice too, though I bet a lot of work. Maybe try to port it from RTCW.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 03-11-2011 03:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If your going update the scripting don't forget to take a look at Enemy Territory - it came out after RTCW and has more flexibility and features than RTCW's.

The source code for both games was released at the same time and are usually downloadable at id's website.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-12-2011 02:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tis site:

mdd Defrag new entities page

And:

Defrag new entities

I always wanted a gravity field entity so you can jump around with a lower gravity in space, but when you enter the spacestation again the gravity is higher again.

And I always wanted a rollaround entity for Q3 similiar to Serious Sam's Second Encounter rooms in which you had to walk on the ceiling and around the walls to the bottom again.

OT: Serious Sam 3!!!! (but why is it so dark :(?!)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-12-2011 03:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bliccer - you mean gravity games like also in Prey?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 03-13-2011 04:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How about a gravity boots powerup entity so the player can walk around on a MC Escher styled map. When the powerup time expires normal gravity resumes for the player. :)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-13-2011 09:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MrLego wrote:
How about a gravity boots powerup entity so the player can walk around on a MC Escher styled map. When the powerup time expires normal gravity resumes for the player. :)

Either this, or the lvldesigner can add this attribute to specific brushes he wants.
That's what I meant with Serious Sam. There you have a cylinder in which the player is walking around, with monsters spawning all around him. After all monsters are shot the door opens.

@Noruen: I don't know Prey... or well I watched someone playing it and it looked like a lot of fun, also maptech-wise.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-13-2011 12:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bliccer - yes, it is a LOT of fun. I don't understand why multiplayer is not more popular (maybe absence of bots?), but there are gravity "games" and you have no chance to recognize ceiling/floor :) If THIS can work in Q3A it would be absolutely... amazing :)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-13-2011 11:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It would definitely be cool if the gravity direction could be set as well.... Quite a bit more work than simply altering the gravity methinks, but it's a cool idea nonetheless.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 03-13-2011 11:34 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I remember talking about a gravity mod with misantropia way back in like 2002/2003. Would be neat to see something implemented.

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 03-14-2011 12:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Didn't tremulous use a gravity direction for the aliens?(perpendicular to surface)

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 03-14-2011 01:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I wrote a gravity mod proof-of-concept once or twice. It's certainly possible but getting Q3A to render models at all angles (and handle all the corner cases) is a royal pain.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-14-2011 08:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I guess you mean moving models, not static ones?

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 03-14-2011 09:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That is correct.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.