Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        EntityPlus - A single player Q3 mod

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Here's a wild idea: EntityPlus

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-09-2011 12:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow! Nice job on redesigning q3dm7. I must admit it was somewhat more challenging than most official Quake 2 maps I`ve played - not as much health or armor to keep you stocked, and the lack of ammo which means you have to be really careful to make your shots count. It was quite fascinating.

I`m thinking of making a Q2/Q4-based mission with your mod, where the player has to fight off Strogg. Only problem is the lack of any real Strogg-esque models in Q3, though Visor / Gorre / TankJr should do the job, and maybe a reskinned Bitterman to recreate the Tactical Transfers from Q4. I`m truly grateful that someone has produced a genuine single player experience for this great game, thank you so much Eraser! I need to convince the guys over at QuArK to add some support for your mod. :D

EDIT: Just figured, it would be nice to have a monster be able to use two weapons rather than just one.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-09-2011 01:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can spawn an enemy with multiple weapons but it's up to the bot AI to pick whichever he wants to use and I think the AI is pretty straightforward in that it just picks the weapon the bot prefers and sticks to that.

I've really come to the point where some bot AI tweaks are really needed, so I'm really grateful for the patch cyr posted.

As for the difficulty... I've been constantly testing with skill level 2 (g_spskill 2) and it's indeed still quite tough. It's really hard to strike a balance on that difficulty curve.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 05-09-2011 02:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's what I call a milestone. Thanks a lot for all the time and effort you put into this! The example map was fun to play, although I had to set the skill level down to 1. I think the damage could still be scaled down a bit, because the damage done to the player on skill level 1 feels almost fair, but the bots are by far too stupid on this difficulty to be fun. On the second difficulty, they behave alreay like I would SP bots expect to behave, but the damage they do is a too high for my taste.
But I'll test that out in some testing areas I'll prepare for myself and give you more detailed feedback later.

The PDF looks really nice. But there's one thing I would change in the install instructions in the readme. You wrote

Quote:
You can either overwrite the existing entities.def or configure GtkRadiant 1.4 or ZeroRadiant 1.6 to use the entityplus folder as working folder

I never used a mod folder for mapping and thus had to find out what to do now. After uninstalling Radiant multiple times (errors, crashes and so on - things that happen when you do something very wrong) I figured out I only had to go to Project Settings, leave the basepath as it was (that was the mistake - I changed it to Quake 3\EntityPlus) and choose Custom Quake III Modification in the Select Mod field. Then, the only thing one has to do, is to type "EntityPlus" in the fs_game field. I think that is a mistake other people can do too, so you could add this information to the readme.

When I took a look at the map you made, I couldn't figure out how you trigger the lava drain when Klesk is dead. How did you do that?

//EDIT: Forget about that. Found it it was done by the trigger_death with the count set to 23.

//EDIT: Is there already a possibility to let bots drop (multiple) items on their death? Or trigger things when they die another way than with a trigger_death (to make things only happen when a certain bot dies, and not when a total amount of enemies is killed)? Could this be implemented by adding a key (for example "ondeath") and a value (targetname of the target_botspawn) in the trigger_death?

This evening I'll upload new models for wooden debris and modified old ones for stone (they'll be more angled and not as smooth as before - and have fewer polys).

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-09-2011 03:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DaEngineer wrote:
That's what I call a milestone. Thanks a lot for all the time and effort you put into this! The example map was fun to play, although I had to set the skill level down to 1. I think the damage could still be scaled down a bit, because the damage done to the player on skill level 1 feels almost fair, but the bots are by far too stupid on this difficulty to be fun. On the second difficulty, they behave alreay like I would SP bots expect to behave, but the damage they do is a too high for my taste.
But I'll test that out in some testing areas I'll prepare for myself and give you more detailed feedback later.

Yeah the difficulty balancing is really... erm... difficult. I was continually testing at skill level 2 but I designed the level so I knew what was coming, which makes quite a difference because I could anticipate everything. I think it is indeed a good idea to scale down the damage even further.

DaEngineer wrote:
The PDF looks really nice. But there's one thing I would change in the install instructions in the readme. You wrote

Quote:
You can either overwrite the existing entities.def or configure GtkRadiant 1.4 or ZeroRadiant 1.6 to use the entityplus folder as working folder

I never used a mod folder for mapping and thus had to find out what to do now. After uninstalling Radiant multiple times (errors, crashes and so on - things that happen when you do something very wrong) I figured out I only had to go to Project Settings, leave the basepath as it was (that was the mistake - I changed it to Quake 3\EntityPlus) and choose Custom Quake III Modification in the Select Mod field. Then, the only thing one has to do, is to type "EntityPlus" in the fs_game field. I think that is a mistake other people can do too, so you could add this information to the readme.

Sure, I'll elaborate a bit further on that in the readme.

DaEngineer wrote:
When I took a look at the map you made, I couldn't figure out how you trigger the lava drain when Klesk is dead. How did you do that?

//EDIT: Forget about that. Found it it was done by the trigger_death with the count set to 23.

//EDIT: Is there already a possibility to let bots drop (multiple) items on their death? Or trigger things when they die another way than with a trigger_death (to make things only happen when a certain bot dies, and not when a total amount of enemies is killed)? Could this be implemented by adding a key (for example "ondeath") and a value (targetname of the target_botspawn) in the trigger_death?

I was thinking of similar functionality as well. In my example map, if you decide to rush past a bot without killing it, you'll never be able to finish the map because of those trigger_death entities. I'll probably add additional functionality to the target_botspawn so you can trigger an entity when a bot that has been spawned by that botspawn dies and/or have the bot drop a specific item.

DaEngineer wrote:
This evening I'll upload new models for wooden debris and modified old ones for stone (they'll be more angled and not as smooth as before - and have fewer polys).

Cool :up:

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 05-09-2011 01:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here are the new models *click me*

I've reduced the poly count of almost all old concrete debris models (some of them were already low-poly enough), added five wooden debris models (they don't have the dark edges you can see on the picture - that's caused by the lighting) and another three bright and dark big debris models; just in case you want to hunt down some bunker walls.

The texture I used for the wooden debris is a picture of a plank taken by me. So there are no copyright problems with it.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-10-2011 12:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice. However, the stone models seem to refer to a shader located at models\entityplus\debris\debris_stone and there's no such thing included in your package. Also, could you put the models in a "models\debris" folder, without the "entityplus" in there, because right now the paths to the textures are incorrect.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 05-10-2011 02:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Nice. However, the stone models seem to refer to a shader located at models\entityplus\debris\debris_stone and there's no such thing included in your package.

My fault. I overwrote an old zip file with the new models and didn't notice that the ones for stone were still in there. Just ignore them, I'll upload stone models as soon as I've found or made some license free textures.

Eraser wrote:
Also, could you put the models in a "models\debris" folder, without the "entityplus" in there, because right now the paths to the textures are incorrect.

Sure, no problem.

//EDIT: Here's an updated package DOWNLOAD

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-10-2011 03:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok great. The textures on the wood wouldn't show up but they do now.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-10-2011 06:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just want to say I love all of you who are contributing to this mod.

(yeah... the post went on and on about accepting constuctive critisism and building off of eachother, or just chipping some code in, but I'll just leave it at this, so the /edit posts won't be abused on my side). (I just deleted a huge paragraph to be honoust).

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 05-11-2011 01:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

spookmineer wrote:
I just want to say I love all of you who are contributing to this mod.

/sign

I've made some more models. This time it's glass. 5 small shards and 5 big ones. Download here. Eraser, can you add the behaviour of a grenade to the models? Grenades rotate slowly and change their angle if they hit an obstacle. This would really be a cool effect.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-11-2011 06:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice. Sorry to nag about this, but the model's paths to the shader seem to use backward slashes (\) instead of forward slashes (/) so it can't find the shader.

edit:
nevermind, I changed them using a hex editor. Just something to remind of next time :)

edit2:
oh, glass_4_large.md3 seems to be missing

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 05-11-2011 06:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Nice. Sorry to nag about this, but the model's paths to the shader seem to use backward slashes (\) instead of forward slashes (/) so it can't find the shader.

Oh, nagging is fine. It's trial and error and there's no better way to learn things. I know about the shader problem and don't quite understand it, as the models have the red "shader image missing" texture when placed in Radiant, but look as they are expected to in-game.
I've re-exported the models now with correct forward slashed, but the texture is still missing in Radiant and still working in-game. Do you know what's the reason for this?

Here's the missing glass_4_large.md3. It seems double-checking things is still not enough. Either I have to accept being scatterbrained or need to triple-check everything next time :disgust:

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 05-11-2011 06:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@DaEngineer: test against a clean-slate install of Q3A, that catches most 'missing x' errors.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-11-2011 07:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Heh, don't worry. It's a nice collection of debris models. I also updated the code so it's possible to make use of the gib effects in case you want to have some kind of fleshy wall be blown to bits or something.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-11-2011 08:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Playing around with bot waypoints to make them patrol up and down a path. Pretty neat (tease tease) :-D

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 05-11-2011 04:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
You can spawn an enemy with multiple weapons but it's up to the bot AI to pick whichever he wants to use and I think the AI is pretty straightforward in that it just picks the weapon the bot prefers and sticks to that.

Weapon preferences are calculated with the equations given in baseq3\botfiles\fw_weaps.c, this is system is painfull to work with and half broken unless you run ioquake3. If you want to alter the weapon preferences, I'd suggest to ignore the script and to hardcode the equations.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-11-2011 07:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ahh, just had some thoughts (and bugs to report):

The bugs:

- In the room where you grab the master key and fight off the monsters, there is a chance that you can kill them all off but the alarm still rings, and you can`t get out. I`m not sure if it`s just a bug with the particular map, but if it`s not it could be a serious problem in other potential maps, so you might want to look into this.

- The lava, when it drains - you can drop down early and you`ll go right through it like it wasn`t there. :D

Thoughts / Ideas:

- The backpack system is a very nice idea. But what about if someone has to take a break during their journey? (eat dinner, bedtime, etc.) They`d have to quit and start all over again when they got back. Personally, I think that when you quit the game it is automatically saved, and you can load it back up when you come back. For right now you can do it through a new console command, (/loadgame ep_example) but hopefully, if someone is willing to do so and has the experience, you could have a redesigned graphical interface / main menu, with one of the options being to load a game from a list.

- target_difficulty. You know how in Quake 1 you had to select your difficulty from a series of hallways, rather than a by-menu system? I always thought that was so neat, and it would be cool to have an entity in Q3 which does the exact same thing. You mentioned that EntityPlus has difficulty levels which determines the difficulty of the bots. Have four spawnflags, Easy, Medium, Hard, and of course Nightmare - or you could use the Q3 system and have five spawnflags, for I Can Win, Bring it On, Hurt Me Plenty, Hardcore, and Nightmare. Attach the target_difficulty to a trigger_once / trigger_multiple and the difficulty will be changed the next time a map loads.

- On a similar note, have spawnflags so that entities only spawn in certain difficulties. That way, perhaps you can have a weak guy on lower difficulties but a rough and tough tank dude in higher ones.

- func_rotatingtrain, a combination of a func_train and a func_rotating. Mostly aesthetic, though it could be good for rotating elevators. Don`t think it would be terribly difficult to code either, just put the code for func_rotating and func_train together.

Keep up the good work man!

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 05-11-2011 08:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

EmeraldTiger wrote:
- func_rotatingtrain, a combination of a func_train and a func_rotating. Mostly aesthetic, though it could be good for rotating elevators. Don`t think it would be terribly difficult to code either, just put the code for func_rotating and func_train together,

i like this idea!

EmeraldTiger wrote:
- target_difficulty. You know how in Quake 1 you had to select your difficulty from a series of hallways, rather than a by-menu system? I always thought that was so neat, and it would be cool to have an entity in Q3 which does the exact same thing. You mentioned that EntityPlus has difficulty levels which determines the difficulty of the bots. Have four spawnflags, Easy, Medium, Hard, and of course Nightmare - or you could use the Q3 system and have five spawnflags, for I Can Win, Bring it On, Hurt Me Plenty, Hardcore, and Nightmare. Attach the target_difficulty to a trigger_once / trigger_multiple and the difficulty will be changed the next time a map loads.

same as this one.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-11-2011 09:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This mod is simply brilliant.
Couple of things to report:
I had the same issue as ET, in not being able to escape the master key room. The console reported all player slots full, I wondered if there was a bot unable to spawn?
Secondly, the entity def doesn't show any details in the entity editor in zeroradiant. The new mod entities are on my right click menu, but no details. I'm running as a project in radiant. Do I need to remove the original def file from q3 scripts folder?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 05-11-2011 09:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm thinking about making trains that turns to point every path_corner they are about to go to. Kinda like Half-Life, kinda like an actual train.

Also, a way to trigger the func_train.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 05-11-2011 10:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dONKEY wrote:
I had the same issue as ET, in not being able to escape the master key room. The console reported all player slots full, I wondered if there was a bot unable to spawn?

Do you use the outdated 0.5.0 version? Eraser wrote a new batch file for version 0.5.1 that points to a cfg to set a higher value for sv_maxclients.

EDIT: @tehSandwich: that'd be great. I thought of this some days ago. With the aid of this, the mod could even include aircrafts that fly along a pre-defined path. Equalized curves (you place three path_corner entities in a way they form a 90° angle and the brush would move along a smooth 90° curve) would be required for this. Much like the camera movement in the q3mme mod.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-11-2011 11:09 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

EmeraldTiger wrote:
Ahh, just had some thoughts (and bugs to report):

The bugs:

- In the room where you grab the master key and fight off the monsters, there is a chance that you can kill them all off but the alarm still rings, and you can`t get out. I`m not sure if it`s just a bug with the particular map, but if it`s not it could be a serious problem in other potential maps, so you might want to look into this.

dONKEY wrote:
This mod is simply brilliant.
Couple of things to report:

Yeah, it's caused by the way the bar that's blocking the way out is removed again after you kill all the bots. It's triggered by a trigger_death that's set to 23 bot deaths, meaning you have to kill all of the bots you've encountered in the level so far. If you haven't done this, the way out will never open up again.

So you can run into this problem in two ways: first being to run past an earlier bot and not kill it. Second way is indeed if there aren't enough player slots open.

The first problem is pretty much a level design issue I guess, but unfortunately in the current version there aren't any tools available to make a more robust setup like this. For the next release I will implement a more robust method for this.

The second problem is a bigger one that's harder to tackle. The problem is that the Quake 3 engine (the code that ends up in the quake3.exe executable and which I can't change in a mod) forces sv_maxclients to 8 when you load a map with spmap. However, sv_maxclients is a latched cvar, which means that it isn't changed until the next map load. If you use the entityplus.bat file to load the game, it'll set the sv_maxclients cvar to 32 and then load the map. This appeared to work. However, if you manually load another map (or reload the same map) without setting sv_maxclients through the console again, the maxclients will be set to 8 again. Because the master key area in the ep_example map spawns 12 bots in there, you'll need at least 13 open player slots (unless you kill the bots fast enough). I haven't found a real solid solution to this yet, unfortunately.

EmeraldTiger wrote:
- The lava, when it drains - you can drop down early and you`ll go right through it like it wasn`t there. :D

lol yes, it's a bit of a quick hack solution to a bug in Quake 3. Turns out that when you have a liquid such as lava or water and make a func_door out of it to make it "drain", when the lava is at it's lowered point and you drop down, you still get the warped water view in the area where the lava previously was. I also tried making the lava a very thin brush so you wouldn't really notice this problem, but then you still heard water splashes as you ran around.

So what I did was make a new lava shader that had a surfaceparm nonsolid instead of lava and have a trigger_hurt there to deal the damage. The trigger_hurt is disabled as the lava lowers so once the lava starts lowering, it's basically a non-solid brush that does nothing. Might have to see if this can be fixed easily, but it's not a priority I think.

EmeraldTiger wrote:
Thoughts / Ideas:

- The backpack system is a very nice idea. But what about if someone has to take a break during their journey? (eat dinner, bedtime, etc.) They`d have to quit and start all over again when they got back. Personally, I think that when you quit the game it is automatically saved, and you can load it back up when you come back. For right now you can do it through a new console command, (/loadgame ep_example) but hopefully, if someone is willing to do so and has the experience, you could have a redesigned graphical interface / main menu, with one of the options being to load a game from a list.

Eventually I'll get to implementing some kind of savegame mechanic :)

EmeraldTiger wrote:

Heh yeah could be neat. I'll look into it.

EmeraldTiger wrote:
- On a similar note, have spawnflags so that entities only spawn in certain difficulties. That way, perhaps you can have a weak guy on lower difficulties but a rough and tough tank dude in higher ones.

- func_rotatingtrain, a combination of a func_train and a func_rotating. Mostly aesthetic, though it could be good for rotating elevators. Don`t think it would be terribly difficult to code either, just put the code for func_rotating and func_train together.

Keep up the good work man!

These are good ideas. Don't know if a func_rotating train is as trivial as you assume it is but it certainly is a worthy addition.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-11-2011 11:10 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dONKEY wrote:
Secondly, the entity def doesn't show any details in the entity editor in zeroradiant. The new mod entities are on my right click menu, but no details. I'm running as a project in radiant. Do I need to remove the original def file from q3 scripts folder?

Sorry, I haven't really tested with ZeroRadiant yet. It uses the same type of def file as GtkRadiant doesn't it? Not the weird XML based variant GtkRadiant 1.5 used? Or are there significant differences in there. Maybe you could send me your original entities.def file that comes with ZeroRadiant?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-11-2011 11:12 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tehSandwich wrote:
I'm thinking about making trains that turns to point every path_corner they are about to go to. Kinda like Half-Life, kinda like an actual train.

Also, a way to trigger the func_train.

If you're thinking of actually implementing that, be my guest. You can either check out the code from SVN and submit a .diff patch file to me or I could give you commit access to the repository.
These seem like very cool ideas.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-11-2011 11:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DaEngineer wrote:
Much like the camera movement in the q3mme mod.

lol this made me think. Wouldn't it be great if we could have in-game cutscenes? :D

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-11-2011 11:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
DaEngineer wrote:
Much like the camera movement in the q3mme mod.

lol this made me think. Wouldn't it be great if we could have in-game cutscenes? :D

As long as we can trust level designers to not overuse them, (like they are in many games these days) I`m all for it. :D :up:

Quake 2 Lazarus mod has an entity called target_monitor, which basically behaves like the info_player_intermission entity but it does it`s thing during the map and not after (level end). You could specify how long it would view the world through the "monitor" before you switched back to your default view. It also is capable of tracking enemies. It would also be neat to implement the ability to have the monitor follow func_trains, although the original did not do this and I`m not sure how easy it would be to code. We shall see...

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-12-2011 06:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In a project we wanted to do some kind of bootcamp with nice synched videos. We wanted to do this via roq files, so animated post-produced vids. But the problem was, that you only could use one roq file :/

One thing: I hope the terrain lvls will be huge, so we can strafe through them. I can't play a quake game without strafing! I think that will be a big problem anyway: If I play a single player game in the idtech3 engine I want to strafe... maybe a lot of gamers want this.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-12-2011 06:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Make the cutscenes skippable, please.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-12-2011 06:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bliccer wrote:
One thing: I hope the terrain lvls will be huge, so we can strafe through them. I can't play a quake game without strafing! I think that will be a big problem anyway: If I play a single player game in the idtech3 engine I want to strafe... maybe a lot of gamers want this.

Uh, what?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-12-2011 12:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bliccer wrote:

A single player game is supposed to be different than a multiplayer game (I think). EF had both, and in SP you could run if you wanted to but g_speed was lowered anyway.

SP may be more about the experience and atmosphere of the map, the map will lose its power after you first played it.
In MP, you gradually learn the map and how people move in it, and it actually becomes better when you've played it several times.

Defrag is sort of a "weird" combination of SP and MP, where you have a route to complete (SP), but the map becomes better after playing it several times (MP). Especially the harder defrag runs can't be completed at first try, but typical SP maps should allow for this to be possible.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-12-2011 01:32 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:

I'd make them so that they are skippable unless your name is obsidian. Then if you try to skip your entire pc freezes.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-12-2011 01:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
obsidian wrote:

I'd make them so that they are skippable unless your name is obsidian. Then if you try to skip your entire pc freezes.

LOL, nice comeback Eraser. :olo:

Or a console command which automatically disables cutscenes (g_disablecutscenes 1)

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-12-2011 07:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
obsidian wrote:

Don't make me ban you. :mad:

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 05-13-2011 11:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here are some tutorials on single player relevant topics like loading/saving the gamestate and doing cutscenes: http://rfactory.org/

The camera code requires engine modifications though.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 05-17-2011 01:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
nick lol wrote:
Does anyone remember the Hunt mod?

http://www.quakeunity.com/file=2580

The Escape from Hell mode was way cool because it would randomly generate levels. Anyway, might be something to look into for ideas. I think the source code is here: http://eliteforce.gamebub.com/quake3.php

Also

I've always figured that for a bare-bones Quake 3 SP mod there are 2 things you need:

-a generic monster entity (you could set model, skin, health, weapon, etc.)
-trigger_changelevel

I would be stoked with those alone. Just my two cents though, this is looking awesome so far, keep it up! :up:

Thanks for the input. I actually remember playing this mod once. I've downloaded the source and I'll have a look at it some time.

The programmer that did this mod also made a "true" single player mod, "Quake 3 : Outpost", with Daniel "Fusion" Schneider on the graphics (http://planetquake.gamespy.com/View.php?view=MOTW.Detail&id=144). I really enjoyed it, and I actually worked on a campagn for it with a friend (here's the old website : http://ophp.free.fr/blog/).

Unfortunately, the files & site were hosted on planetQuake and filePlanet, and I think they're gone now ... I still have it on my hard drive, maybe I'll take some time to upload it somewhere.

The monsters had their own behavior, workind differently from the q3 bots ... oh, and there was a Night vision mode ! along with some lens flares, that ere taken from another mod from the same guy.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.