Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        EntityPlus - A single player Q3 mod

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Here's a wild idea: EntityPlus

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-12-2011 01:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah that has always been possible. Set the wait key to -1 :)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-12-2011 01:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

O hey, DaEngineer, while you're at it, maybe you could make a key model for the holdable_key entity? :)

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 04-12-2011 01:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Image :up:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-12-2011 05:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's possible to set each item's respawn value to some random high number so ppl would actually have to play for weeks/years/decades to see that specific item again. It can be done when specifiying your entity settings in GTK; about stock id maps, I'm not sure however, at least not for vq3.
EDIT: already all said by eraser, forgot about the latest 3 posts, duh!

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-12-2011 06:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
O hey, DaEngineer, while you're at it, maybe you could make a key model for the holdable_key entity? :)

I'm on it! (sounds like a fun quick project)

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-13-2011 04:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anyone know if the powerup rotation and bobbing is hard coded or is it something that needs to be animated. If the latter, how many frames and frames per second do the default models have?

What do you guys think? ~40 polys.

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 04-13-2011 04:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Rotation and bobbing is hard coded IIRC.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 04-13-2011 05:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nice work obs, how big is the model in relation to the player model? looks cool tho

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-13-2011 06:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's slightly larger than an armor shard.

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 04-13-2011 07:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice! An armor shard-esque glowy effect would look cool as well.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-13-2011 10:10 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Awesome bro. And indeed, the bobbing and rotation is hard coded.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-14-2011 01:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here's a quick WIP video of the debris emitter entity in combination with func_breakable:

DaEngineer's models still have to be included though.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 04-14-2011 03:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@ obsidian: looks very good :)
@ eraser: I think the dust could use some more transparency - it's a bit too opaque for my taste.

Here's a new pk3 that replaces the two concrete debris models. They link to the base_wall/concrete and base_wall/concrete_dark textures in the pk0, so I didn't even need to upload the copyrighted Q3 texture again. I'll keep it like this until I find some open source textures. There's no good stone texture in the stock Q3 textures, so you'll have to wait until I've found one or made one by myself based on the stones in my garden.

EDIT: Two things came to my mind this mod definitely needs: ladders and health/armor beyond 100 that stops draining down to 100 again. A ladder tutorial can be found here.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-14-2011 05:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes good idea for the ladders. Dunno about the health... how did this work in Quake 2?

I made the debris emitter to spew out your models. A spawnflag can be used to determine if it spews out light or dark concrete, so if you've got new models for other materials then we can simply add more spawnflags.

I've also made the dust less opaque.

One thing about the models though... they look a bit too smooth if you ask me. If a block of rock blows into pieces, I don't think you'll end up with such smooth and round pieces of rock.
That doesn't mean these models are useless, but some more pointy models could be a good addition.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-14-2011 05:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just wanted to jump in - this whole idea looks awesome. :up:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-14-2011 05:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Got some coverage through PlanetQuake, with a decent amount of linking to Q3W as well :)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-14-2011 10:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ladders are in :)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-15-2011 04:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@obsidian: Imo your keymodel needs those three yellow dots... or you create a new one in the style of commander keen keys :D

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-16-2011 12:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maybe this could be use to create sp enemies :). I have nothing against that sp enemy use bots models, and use standard q3 weapons set, what's more - that's exactly what I would like to get :). Just imagine - Klesk with mele attack (no weapon), or Uriel with gauntlet. Ranger with SG, and TankJr with PG.

Actually I think it would be awesome to have bigger scale TankJr armed with PG or Rl, which couldn't run, only walk slowly. i bet some of you remember the huge strogg from Quake 2 :).

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-16-2011 03:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So I added a bit more polish to the keycard model, I found that it looked a bit too non-descriptive in outline and colour (roughly same size and shape as armour shard) so I went back and tweaked the model and shaders to make it really stand out with some pretty holographic overlays. The shaders are animated, so I think it looks pretty cool in-game. The three dots are now part of the hologram (hard to make out in this screenshot because of the other overlay).

Download:
http://robotrenegade.com/models/downloa ... eycard.zip

And a test map if you guys want to preview it (extract to /maps and requires the file above, renaming the zip to .pk3):
http://robotrenegade.com/models/downloa ... rd-map.zip

Eraser: is it possible to patch your mod so that it has a higher entity limit. I can see the default entity limit getting really restrictive if people are going to be tossing entities all over the place in this mod. Sock kept hitting that limit for MotEoF and had to strip stuff out or think of creative ways to save entities.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-16-2011 10:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks really nice. Classy.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 04-17-2011 12:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I really wanted a "key" model here.
Maybe it could be made so that you can choose your own model and/or that the mod comes with two different sets?

I was thinking in the lines of Quake1.
This keycard pretty much forces one to make SciFi levels.

If a key is needed, I can model one.

(I should add, that, both would be really nice. But if not, I guess Obs Keycard (which looks really nice) will have to do =))

Last edited by Hipshot on 04-17-2011 01:57 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-17-2011 01:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I too like obsidians model but like Hipshot said: A possibility to use your own model would be great!

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 04-17-2011 06:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hipshot: ideally one could set their own model for the key - I looked into doing this briefly but the solution wasn't immediately obvious to me - I'll look into it when I get the time to work on it again (unless Eraser or someone gets to it first).

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-17-2011 08:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah there doesn't seem to be an obvious and easy solution to that one. But if anyone makes a gothic looking key I'll add it. I've added obsidian's (great looking!) keys to the game and really treat them as different keys, so on the trigger_lock you can specify which key is needed.

ps: obdidian, if you could draw 32x32 pixel 2D icons for them as well that would be great. I drew my own but they look kind of stupid. You could use the icons for teleporter or medkit as inspiration.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 04-17-2011 10:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm almost done with a key.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 04-17-2011 12:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok, I made a "skeleton key" type - which I call "Rust Key" - it's modeled exactly after the one in Quake 1.
I'm gonna create a silver and gold key too - which will have a little bit of a different mesh and ofc different colors. And I might also make a "master key" so the keys can go in the same number of passcards Obsidian made.

When I'm done with everything, I'll post it all.

@ Eraser, maybe you can just add the keys too, along with the cards and then, at least, the mod will have a Gothic and Tech selection for key types. Then people might not feel as if they need to have their own set of keys any more...

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-17-2011 04:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh, did I not mention that I was planning on working on a gothic set as well? Oh well, I see Hipshot is on it.

I think you need to embellish and update it to look a little more modern, but otherwise a good start. Be creative, inscribe some runes on the sides, add a skull, increase the polys a bit more. Something like this, only with more awesome:

It's also a good idea to make it visible in the dark, so play with some shaders for some cool effects. Maybe some hellish rune particles floating around.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 04-17-2011 09:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was thinking that the first key in the set could be a bit simpler, then gradually increase the level of details. The rust one was made directly from looking at Quake 1, so I guess it's more or less the same. Runes and letters should of course be added and the edges could be more defined.

I don't know about making them look "visible" in the dark. As I see it, if you place them in a dark spot, you want them more hidden. If you want them visible then you might wanna place them where they are easier to see, from lights around it.
Otherwise I have several ideas around that subject. But, I'm gonna start with making the base mesh for all four keys.

Another thing, something I hate is inconsistency when it comes down to graphics in games and/or mods, It might be better if you make the keys, so you can make them in pair with your cards, but Gothic and all that comes around that.
But first I'm gonna see what I can do, I'm really only a "junior grade" modeler, so it takes time and UV mapping is the worst, but I'll see what I can come up with from my drawings. I'll give it a week, then I'll give up and pass the torch =)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-17-2011 10:51 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think it looks neat. Could use a bit more detail perhaps but I like it.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-18-2011 04:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Eraser: is it possible to patch your mod so that it has a higher entity limit. I can see the default entity limit getting really restrictive if people are going to be tossing entities all over the place in this mod. Sock kept hitting that limit for MotEoF and had to strip stuff out or think of creative ways to save entities.

I'm afraid that's not going to be an easy thing to do, if not impossible.
I expect that the engine itself (the code that ends up in the executable file) deals with the same limits, so changed them in the mod code will only break things. But I expect ^misantropia^ has more experience here and can give a more definite answer.

I don't know if ioQuake has upped these limits, but if that's the case, then it might not even be a bad idea to make the mod ioQuake only. Since you need the mod anyway, forcing people to use a separate executable is only a small next step, but it does open up a wealth of new possibilities I guess.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 04-18-2011 05:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
I expect that the engine itself (the code that ends up in the executable file) deals with the same limits

That's correct. ioquake3 has the same limitations as stock Q3 so you'd have to ship a patched binary.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-18-2011 06:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah that's what I thought.

Just a small note to anyone that makes assets for the mod: if you wish, you can include a readme of some sorts with your assets. I'm including all that kind of stuff in a "docs" folder that will be distributed with the mod. It is perhaps a good idea to include some sort of licensing info. Obsidian's models came with a readme that references this license.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-18-2011 07:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
32x32 pixel 2D icons

That's awfully small for any real detail, but I gave it a go. I suppose this is for HUD? They are flat shade textures with alpha, so you'll need a shader with blendFunc blend. If you want an additive effect, you'll have to modify in Photoshop:

1. Copy the alpha channel and paste in a new layer.
  2. Create a new layer above the one one you just created in (1) and fill with the flat shade of colour.
  3. Change blend mode of layer in (2) to multiply.

http://robotrenegade.com/models/downloa ... -icons.zip

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-18-2011 10:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Those are perfect as they are. No need for custom shaders. Q3 handles that stuff for the HUD itself.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.