Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        EntityPlus - A single player Q3 mod

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Here's a wild idea: EntityPlus

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-17-2011 06:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

As I haven't had a huge amount of time to follow this or look at the mod, may I ask, is shader swapping possible easily now? For things like breaking lights, turning on steam, switching on jumpads. Where as before we would have to have used a func_whatever as a hac. Is this what func_logic can do?
Sorry, not up to speed, an trying to catch up.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-17-2011 06:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ehm, yes and no.

func_logic doesn't exist, you're confused with target_logic. But still, it doesn't do anything like that.

But if you want to swap shaders runtime, then that's already possible with vQ3. You can set a key "targetshadername" and a "targetshadernewname" (for reading clarity: "target shader name" and "target shader new name") to something like a trigger or a func_button.
All shaders in the entire map with the name specified in "targetshadername" will be replaced with the one specified in "targetshadernewname". An example value for either of these keys would be something like "textures/gothic_trim/baseboard09".

Two things to be aware of this. First, as mentioned before in this thread, calling a map_restart won't reset the shader back to the original. In EntityPlus this isn't a huge problem as map_restart would normally not be called.

Second thing is that I'm not sure how Q3 reacts to replacing shaders with different surfaceparms. So replacing a shader that is nonsolid with a solid shader may have unwanted results. I haven't tried though. That specific example will most likely give the bots hell though.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-17-2011 06:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://q3map2.robotrenegade.com/docs/sh ... ities.html

Surfaceparms are compiled, so you can't switch the surface or volume properties (though you can probably use invisible door hack or other methods to fake this). Triggerable shader entities will only alter the appearance of the shader.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 05-19-2011 12:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you create a misc_model that contains the shader that will be reset, you can use _remap and it will reset the shader when a map_restart is called.

Quote:
_remap : Used to remap textures/shaders in the model. To remap all shaders to a given shader, use "*;models/mymodel/mytexture". To remap a specific shader, use "models/mymodel/old;models/mymodel/new".

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-20-2011 03:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Q3MME Source Code released

CaNaBiS decided to release it, he discontinued working on it some time ago, and now offers it to anyone who can put it to good use:

Q3MME Source

Maybe it can be used for the cut scenes?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-20-2011 06:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

spookmineer wrote:
Q3MME Source Code released

CaNaBiS decided to release it, he discontinued working on it some time ago, and now offers it to anyone who can put it to good use:

Q3MME Source

Maybe it can be used for the cut scenes?

\o/

Team Event -O- Horizon

NoGhost Map Making Competition 2 (June 2010)

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 05-21-2011 02:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I want an entity that will let me make a quake1 type single player map experience against a bot that will stay in it's own area. As i progress through a map to a goal I am fighting against increasingly tougher bots.
un-possible?

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 05-21-2011 03:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

axbaby wrote:
I want an entity that will let me make a quake1 type single player map experience against a bot that will stay in it's own area. As i progress through a map to a goal I am fighting against increasingly tougher bots.
un-possible?

Like an ai_tether entity or something?

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 05-21-2011 08:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ai tether and the ability to place a specific bot or at least the ai's skill level in a map.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-21-2011 08:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can spawn bots into the map at specific locations with target_botspawn. Use bot clips or clever level design to limit where the bot can move. Version 0.6 of the mod will introduce a deathtarget and a skill key for target_botspawn. Deathtarget can be used to trigger an entity when the bot spawned by that specific botspawn dies and the skill key can be used to set a relative skill level for the bot.

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 05-21-2011 09:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh man .. i hope people are busy making cool stuff from this.
I love the possibilities.
I really wish this was made many years ago.
good job guys

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-21-2011 01:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@Eraser: I guess you already know...
http://own-age.com/articles/680/

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 05-21-2011 04:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser, I've a cleaned up version of Q3MME that should be slightly easier to diff against. `diff -ruw` still produces a 2.2M large, 75,000 lines long patch but it's better than before.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-25-2011 12:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yay, some EntityPlus news.
I've just uploaded version 0.6 to the downloads page. This is the complete list of changes:

• [Added] info_waypoint entity to plot patrolling routes for bots.
  • [Added] target_skill entity to set the skill level for the next map.
  • [Added] target_earthquake entity.
  • [Added] target_effect entity.
  • [Added] LIGHT_LARGE_DEBRIS, DARK_LARGE_DEBRIS, WOOD_DEBRIS, FLESH_DEBRIS and GLASS_DEBRIS spawnflags to target_debrisemitter and func_breakable.
  • [Added] deathtarget key to target_botspawn in order to activate entities upon a bot's death.
  • [Added] skill key to target_botspawn in order to set the skill level of the bot relative to the global skill level.
  • [Added] New single player menu which displays entityplus compatible maps.
  • [Fixed] Rocket Launcher is not in the backpack if player dies while having a RL.
  • [Fixed] target_objective not displaying "objectives updated" message when it's triggered by a bot (for example through a trigger_death entity).
  • [Fixed] count key was missing from target_relay description in entities.def and manual.
  • [Fixed] Negative values for count key on target_relay prevent the entity from being used.
  • [Fixed] Sometimes wrong spawnpoint is picked in ep_example map when dying in key room.
  • [Fixed] Not killing all enemies in ep_example map prevents exit for key room from opening up.
  • [Fixed] Lava doesn't drain in ep_example map if not all enemies in level are killed.
  • [Fixed] Not killing enemies quickly enough in ep_example map causes the default sv_maxclients limit to be hit, preventing the player from completing the map.
  • [Changed] con_notify time is now set to 0 in single player at map load.
  • [Changed] target_gravity defaults to g_gravity value instead of a fixed 800 now.
  • [Changed] Player now (re)spawns at nearest spawnpoint even if that spawnpoint would telefrag an enemy (SP mode only).
  • [Changed] Enemies spawning into or out of the game no longer show the teleportation effect.
  • [Changed] Main menu looks a bit different now.

I'll highlight the most important and interesting new features.
First there's the new info_waypoint entity. You can trigger a target_botspawn entity to spawn a bot at the location of that entity. Before the bot would just free roam through the level, but now you can have your target_botspawn target an info_waypoint entity and the bot will move to the info_waypoint. Have that info_waypoint target another info_waypoint to plot out a patrolling route for the bot. The bot will keep running up and down this route (or in circles, if the route is circular) until he sees the player. Then he'll start attacking.

As explained before, the new version also has a "skill" key on target_botspawn which can be used to set the relative skill level for the bot(s) spawned by that botspawn. Values can be both negative (to make the bot easier) or positive (to make the bot tougher). The last change to botspawns is the deathtarget key. This works just like the target key on entities, but this time the referred entity is activated when a bot spawned by the botspawn dies.

Another small but incredibly valuable change is the "count" key on target_relay. This pretty much means that the target_relay won't activate it's own target until it has been activated [count] number of times.

Some other minor changes include the removal of the teleportation effect of bots entering/leaving the game, so you'll no longer be warned about bots spawning into the game by the zzzzzt teleport sound, additional debris types, target_earthquake (to make the screen shake), target_effect (to create explosions or some simple particle effects) and a completely new single player menu that only lists maps compatible with entityplus (if you want your own map to show up in here, add the "entityplus" gametype to the list of types in your .arena file). The main menu also got a make over :-)

Enjoy!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-25-2011 12:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kewl stuff once again, man. :up:

Didn`t find many issues yet, but the new re-vamped menu is sometimes behaving oddly. Some buttons won`t highlight if you scroll over them just once, so you kind of have to angrily move it back and forth until it highlights. Not sure if it`s a problem on my end though.

P.S. I`m thinking of making a logo for the EntityPlus mod to put on the main menu, if that is alright with you. I`m no model-maker so it will be 2D as opposed to a 3D model like the default Q3 logo, but it`ll still look cool, hopefully. :p

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-25-2011 01:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah go crazy with shaders and stuff. Sounds like a plan.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-25-2011 01:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

EmeraldTiger wrote:
Didn`t find many issues yet, but the new re-vamped menu is sometimes behaving oddly. Some buttons won`t highlight if you scroll over them just once, so you kind of have to angrily move it back and forth until it highlights. Not sure if it`s a problem on my end though.

Whoa, appears you're right. I was having some issues from time to time with it as well but couldn't put my finger on it. Thought it was just me, so I never looked into it. But now that you mentioned it, I went back to look into the code and found that indeed the mouse-over sensitive area of the button is centered on the Y position of the button. In the original menu this is correct because the text of the button is centered as well.
In the new menu, the text is justified to the left but the mouse-over area is still centered. So the whole right half of the button doesn't respond to a mouse-over.

I've fixed this and uploaded a new version (v0.6.1). Thanks for spotting this :)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-25-2011 07:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here`s a logo I prepared, nothing really fancy:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27277779/entityplus_logo.png

Menu Concept:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27277779/entityplus_menu.jpg

(It uses alpha channels so you can put it on any background)

Last edited by EmeraldTiger on 05-25-2011 07:24 PM, edited 1 time in total.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-25-2011 07:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It looks like it says "entltyplus"

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-25-2011 07:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
It looks like it says "entltyplus"

Some weird aspect of the Newtown font. I dunno why but it makes little I`s capital.

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 05-25-2011 09:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just throwing this out there in case you're in the market for awesome fonts: http://www.fontsquirrel.com/

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-25-2011 10:53 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

EmeraldTiger wrote:
Here`s a logo I prepared, nothing really fancy:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27277779/entityplus_logo.png

Menu Concept:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27277779/entityplus_menu.jpg

(It uses alpha channels so you can put it on any background)

Good start. The I does indeed look a bit weird. Get rid of the "by eraser" bit though. I'd prefer to have this known as a project that's open for anyone to put effort into rather than something that is exclusively mine.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-26-2011 12:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27277779/entityplus_logo2.png

That`s odd, the blurs seem to end abruptly... dunno why it wasn`t like that before.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-26-2011 11:10 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey EmeraldTiger, is this you final version? Lemme know if or when it's done. I'll make the necessary code changes then.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-30-2011 03:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I wonder, does anyone here have experience with sound engineering for a game? I'm looking for some sound effects like when you pick up a keycard or when the objectives are updated. Quake 2 had this cool "objectives updated" voice over. I've been going through free sounds databases for a bit but it's like searching for a needle in a haystack :(

edit:
And I'm also looking for a cool notification icon to display when the objectives are updated. Resolutions can be 32x32 or 64x64 pixels at 32-bits.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 05-30-2011 03:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A friend of mine could might help you out. He made some sound effects for me I used in the newest version of Shibam (not yet released). He'd like to help you out. Can you make a list of sounds you want to have with a description what you want them to sound like?

EDIT: I'm working on the symbol for new objectives

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-30-2011 04:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-30-2011 05:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DaEngineer wrote:
A friend of mine could might help you out. He made some sound effects for me I used in the newest version of Shibam (not yet released). He'd like to help you out. Can you make a list of sounds you want to have with a description what you want them to sound like?

EDIT: I'm working on the symbol for new objectives

So far probably just a sound for picking up keys, picking up keycards (i figure this should have a more scifi-ish sound than picking up an ordinary key) and when the objectives are updated.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 05-30-2011 05:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Noruen wrote:

Like.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 05-30-2011 06:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^misantropia^ wrote:
Like.

Me too. Looks like I don't need to try making an icon any longer, this one looks very good.

Last edited by DaEngineer on 05-30-2011 07:33 AM, edited 1 time in total.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-30-2011 07:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Needs to be resized to 128x128. Do that with the original source files if you can, just scaling the image might leave some fuzziness.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-30-2011 12:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I cropped the top edge off and resized to 64x64. Also made the corners rounded with an alpha channel.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-30-2011 06:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Some menu stuff:

Background is temporary, I would like something more like this:

Suggestions on background image, please.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-30-2011 07:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oooh... I love it man! I think Eraser should use your logo, the 3D effect is really nice, and I love the "Now extra func_y" part. :D

For the background: I suppose someone could do a very small test_bigbox like room with some scenery in it and dark lighting. Perhaps even make it a shader which cycles through different images.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-30-2011 10:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ooh that looks really, really cool.
I think it'd be a good idea to do all of the menus in that style then, which means we'd need a complete replacement set for the images in the menu/art folder in pak0.pk3

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.