Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        [Urban Terror] bad lightmaps on .ase models

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: [Urban Terror] bad lightmaps on .ase models

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-10-2011 01:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Recently i started modeling and yesterday i made my first "usable" model.
I made a model of a barrel, exported it as .ase, made the normal and bump maps for it and after compiling i noticed that if i compile with -patchmeta switch the specular doesn't works.
So i compiled with only -meta and now _n and _b maps work but now the smoothing doesn't works properly and i get ugly looking lightmaps with clearly defined edges.
If i compile with both switches then -patchmeta is being ignored.
I added spawnflags 4 to the model and that soothed the problem a little but the lightmap still looks pretty bad.

-patchmeta

-meta

I have 2 smoothing groups on the model, one for the vertical walls and one for top and bottom "bands".

Anyone had a similar issue?
Is there a way to do separate compiles one with -meta and one with -patchmeta and then merge them? (yeah i know dumb question but i had to ask)

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-10-2011 01:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Compile with both -meta and -patchmeta? Just what version of Urban Terror is this?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-10-2011 01:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tehSandwich wrote:
Compile with both -meta and -patchmeta? Just what version of Urban Terror is this?

Like i said, when i compile with both -patchmeta switch is ignored.
Screenshots are showing UrT 4.1 and 27's ioBumpy renderer, i tested it under UrT 4.2 and i get same results.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-10-2011 02:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What is the compiler version and why exactly would you need -patchmeta?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-10-2011 02:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tehSandwich wrote:
What is the compiler version and why exactly would you need -patchmeta?

FS_q3map_Radbump_4a is the compiler I'm using.
I need patchmeta to smooth out the shadows. Otherwise i have straight lines running along the edges.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-10-2011 02:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You could try using q3map_shadeAngle in your shader instead of compiling with patchmeta for the smoothing problem.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-10-2011 02:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantazm11 wrote:
You could try using q3map_shadeAngle in your shader instead of compiling with patchmeta for the smoothing problem.

Well if i understood correctly from several threads about models in games based on Q3 engine, smoothing groups are supposed to replace the q3map_shadeangle. Plus i was informed that q3map_shadeangle doesn't works with the new compiler. So it's one dead end after another.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-10-2011 07:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you can also check out the #urbanmappers channel on IRC. if you're on windows, try mIRC and connect to irc.quakenet.org and /join #urbanmappers

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.