Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Proball Map

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Proball Map

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-02-2012 06:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey I know this is a total longshot and probably not the place to ask at that. But I've been making a map for the mod Proball. I have made the red/blue team spawn points. And figured if I add a machine gun to the map, the mod turns that into the ball.

But I have no clue how to make the goals. I don't really know how they work or anything. I've tried emailing the couple of email addresses listed in the mod for making the maps, but most have bounced back because this mod is obviously kinda old (and I don't believe very popular at that). But if anyone out there knows anything about this mod and is able to help me make the goals it would make my mapping go soooo much easier.

Thanks.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 01-02-2012 06:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ummm had a look around the internets, not much info. maybe if you use q3map2 and convert a proball map.bsp to a .map file and take a look in whatever editor you use? sorry, i got nothing... try email this sst13, hes made proball maps: sst13@gmx.de

Multidirectional
Multidirectional
PostPosted: 01-02-2012 07:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

heres what i found:

Quote:
Basically in proball, this is what you do;

Think football, two teams (red, blue), a ball (yellow), two goals. Red team scores in blue's goal. Blue team scores in red's goal.

#proball on irc.quakenet.org (if its still working/?)

heres a map on lvl thats proball setup..

its likely that the flags are your goals... since the game converts the other item into your ball, just put one of each item into the map and see which one is the goal.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 01-02-2012 08:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i think proball has a custom .def file for radiant. so it wont be the flag... also you cant set a flags dimensions as im sure a goal would need?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-03-2012 12:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I made a proball map once but I can't remember the specifics. There was indeed a seperate .def file for the entities because there were some new ones for spawning the ball and defining the goals. I think a goal was created by making a brush and applying a team goal entity to it, but I can't remember the name of the entities.

What you can do is start proball, load up an existing map with cheats enabled (\devmap mapname) and type \g_listentity 1 in the console. The game will output a complete list of all entities in the map. Then type \condump console.txt and it'll write the contents of the console to a console.txt file in the proball folder. Open this with a text editor to examine the list more carefully. You can then at least see what entities are present in the map.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-03-2012 12:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh jeez, just did a google search on "Proball entities.def" and look what turned up:

http://sst13.net/downloads/entities_proball.def

Quote:
/* PROBAL QUAKE3 DEFINITION FILE */

/*QUAKED proball_sticky (1 1 .3) ?
Causes the ball to stick to it when it hits it.
*/

/*QUAKED proball_blue_player (.7 1 1) (-16 -16 -24) (16 16 32)
Initial Blue team spawning position for proball games. This is where players spawn when they join the Blue team.
*/

/*QUAKED proball_blue_spawn (0 1 1) (-16 -16 -24) (16 16 32)
Blue team teleport and respawning position for proball games. This is where Blue team players respawn after they die or teleport.
*/

/*QUAKED proball_red_player (1 .7 1) (-16 -16 -24) (16 16 32)
Initial Red team spawning position for proball games. This is where players spawn when they join the Red team.
*/

/*QUAKED proball_red_spawn (1 0 1) (-16 -16 -24) (16 16 32)
Red team teleport and respawning position for proball games. This is where Red team players respawn after they die or teleport.
*/

/*QUAKED proball_ball_spawn (1 1 0) (-16 -16 -16) (16 16 16) SUSPENDED
Ball spawn for proball games. This is where the ball will spawn at the start of the game.
*/

/*QUAKED proball_blue_goal (0 .1 1) ? - -
Area in which the red team will score if they shoot the ball into. The blue team will be defending this goal.
*/

/*QUAKED proball_red_goal (1 .1 0) ? - -
Area in which the blue team will score if they shoot the ball into. The red team will be defending this goal.
*/

/*QUAKED trigger_ball_return (1 1 .3) ? - -
Any player carrying the ball that touches this will be stripped of the ball and it will return back to the center. Also, if a ball is thrown into this trigger it will return.
*/

/*QUAKED proball_blue_goalie_box (0 .1 1) ? - -
The blue goalie is protected within this area for a short period of time after making a save. Also, players from the red team will be teleported out of this area if they stand inside it too long.
*/

/*QUAKED proball_red_goalie_box (1 .1 0) ? - -
The red goalie is protected within this area for a short period of time after making a save. Also, players from the blue team will be teleported out of this area if they stand inside it too long.
*/

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-03-2012 12:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow thanks for the responses, I kinda expected no one to have any clue about this mod, but you guys have been super helpful. For those of you future people (for example me in the future when I forget how to do this again.) I downloaded the def file from the link above. Then I used the program in this post

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=46488&p=882027&hilit=entity+definitions#p882027
*Thanks for this also Eraser*

It converts the def file into the currently used ent file.
Then I wasn't sure how to add the new ent file, so I opened the file in gtkradiant/q3.game/baseq3/entities
And added the code from the proball.ent to the entities.ent.

This may have not been the correct or even logical solution, but it seems to have worked, and since I'm new to this whole map making thing it didn't turn out too bad.

Anyway after all of my rambling hopefully this helps someone else out as much as it helped me. Thanks again everyone!

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-03-2012 11:39 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Glad to be of help.
Make sure you post some screens of your work in progress soon, I'm super curious :D
I used to play Proball a lot on LAN parties with friends. It was pretty intense.

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 01-04-2012 12:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I made some football field maps for a football mod. I may still have some of those kicking around cyberspace.
i will see if I can find the map files when I get home next week.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-04-2012 12:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kick Quake 2 perhaps? We used to play that a lot as well. Was kind of hectic because of the weapons involved.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-04-2012 04:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I made a football field for ProBall some time back, with proper field markings, field position spawn points, corner flags, goal posts with netting etc.. I tried to make real-life scaling of it all using the coordinates of a real football pitch and the conversion of 1 foot = 8 map units. I was going to do an entire stadium, complete with locker rooms, bars, grandstands etc. :olo: but the glitches in the mod (ie: glitchy goal-score triggers) and lack of features put me off doing that. If only the source code was out there for someone to improve :/

Here's the bsp, map and aas anyway if anyone is interested:
http://www.mediafire.com/?zsabvv6h8668h99

It doesn't have the textures included since I lost them from a harddrive failure, but there's only 7 of them in total so it's easy to make them up.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 01-04-2012 02:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

someone should remake the speedball 2 field! ICE CREAM! ICE CREAM! weeee woooooo weeee woooo. REPLAY, GET READY!

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-04-2012 07:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Things have been going pretty well with the map so far.

But I'm running into the issue that I want it to be a sort of space map, so I need it to kill you when you jump off. I add a layer on the bottom just before the floor and set it as trigger_hurt with a dmg setting of 500 (to get the job done) and then I add a layer above that which I set to trigger_ball_return (that way the ball respawns instead of just falling where no one can get it). When I compiled it with just the trigger_hurt it worked fine but when I add the ball return, I get a sv_brushmodel: null error. I've tried what I've read on some blogs and stuff but to no avail.

Any ideas? Also Ill post a pic of the map up and running with what I've added thus far. Remember this is my first actual map and thus horrible in comparision to pretty much every map ever. So there's that.

Attachments:
File comment: so far
proball.JPG
proball.JPG [ 13.37 KB | Viewed 530 times ]

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 01-04-2012 10:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

make another brush and set it to ball return or whatever the trigger is. ents can only do one function per brush.... i think...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-04-2012 11:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think he's using two separate brushes. Try deleting the ball return brush and recreate it.

Multidirectional
Multidirectional
PostPosted: 01-05-2012 06:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nodrop? -common shader for bottoms of pits...

and as for killing fallers, try this

put a trigger brush that covers the whole bottom and link it to a target kill, AND a target speaker with the correct item from the entity definition for falling sounds based on player skin.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-05-2012 03:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I ended up just making an entire copy of the map and starting on a new save, which seemed to work. Turns out, as I played the space version, I learned it was actually more fun on this map when I had walls. Here is a picture of the "finished" copy of the map.

Because its hard to tell, the black blocks on the ends of the top floor are jump pads that throw you towards the other teams goal. And the red/blue blocks on the bottom floor are teleportation pads that teleport you to the top platform, facing the direction you would be going. Such as if you go in the red, you will face the red.

The ball spawns in the very center of the bottom floor.

Like I said before this is my first map, so things like models and sweet textures are in the future but probably not for awhile. But I'm taking all comments on the map thus far.

Attachments:
File comment: thus far
pb2.jpg
pb2.jpg [ 16.04 KB | Viewed 524 times ]

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.