Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Shader not showing up - again!

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Shader not showing up - again!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-31-2011 02:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm using some of bst's shaders from his Terminatria map, but renaming them to avoid conflicts. Here is one of them I'm using:

textures/chronicle1/bst_striplight_0.25k
{
qer_editorimage textures/bst_tech/bst_striplight.tga
q3map_lightimage textures/bst_tech/bst_striplight.tga
surfaceparm nomarks
q3map_surfacelight 250
{
map $lightmap
rgbGen identity
tcGen lightmap
}
{
map textures/bst_tech/bst_striplight.tga
rgbGen identity
}
}

It's in a .shader file called chronicle1.shader and it has been put in shaderlist.txt, so the editor will try and look for it. It shows up in the editor just fine, but in-game, it is missing, and shows with an error:

"trying textures/chronicle1/bst_striplight_0.tga..."

This is rather baffling. Since when was there a texture called bst_striplight_0? Why is there a "_0" added at the end of the shader name? That shows up nowhere in my shader file at all, all the texture directories point to bst_striplight without the _0, so this shouldn't happen. Also, notice how the directories in my shader have bst_tech as a path, but when the game shows the error, it says "trying textures/chronicle1/bst_striplight_0.tga..." That makes no sense, why is it trying to look in a different directory for the textures if I clearly specified they were to be found in textures/bst_tech? That defies logic.

I tried renaming the paths from bst_tech to chronicle1 to see if that would fix it, but it doesn't work. I don't want to have to be forced to rename every single image to have a _0 at the end either... surely there is a better, more convenient solution. And I assure you, they are in their proper textures folders.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm working on this map for EntityPlus, if that helps any.

Last edited by EmeraldTiger on 12-31-2011 04:09 PM, edited 2 times in total.

Multidirectional
Multidirectional
PostPosted: 12-31-2011 02:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

using decimals in file/shader names is generally new school
Quote:
bst_striplight_0.25k

plus your editor image is not pathed the same as your shadername

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-31-2011 04:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

skinNCNmaster wrote:
plus your editor image is not pathed the same as your shadername

It doesn't have to, nor is it normally the case.

Multidirectional
Multidirectional
PostPosted: 01-01-2012 06:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian, since your comment was not helping to solve a problem, why did you post? oh i forget, you are like, special...

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 01-01-2012 07:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it's because you posted something inaccurate/misleading - correcting mistakes is normal, courteous forum behaviour, it helps people who stumble across threads via google.

that said - changing the shader name to something without a "." in it is definitely a good thing to try first. it's possible that the program is trying to needlessly strip a file extension from the string and then using that string as the basis of a filename.

doubt it'd achieve anything, but http://robotrenegade.com/q3map2/docs/sh ... tives.html also says that q3map_lightImage should appear before qer_editorImage.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.