Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Industrial Texture Pack

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Industrial Texture Pack

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 01-09-2015 01:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also, if models are made to look like brush geo, but used to create nice rotations etc, it can be difficult to spot and could be mistaken for very well made brushwork.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 01-09-2015 03:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hipshot wrote:
Also, if models are made to look like brush geo, but used to create nice rotations etc, it can be difficult to spot and could be mistaken for very well made brushwork.

Yeah, this is exactly what is a happening with my Edge of Forever map. I did not have (at the start of the project) a modelling package and decided to use the editor instead. I know this is really going off topic but here is a quick example screenshot and brief explanation.

The books throughout the map are ASE models and bookcase's and piles of books are compounded versions. I started with a simple book made from patches which I had to scale up really large because patches don't go lower than 1 grid size. Once I had the basic book shape I then used various q3map2 compiler switches to scale, rotate and texture remap the books into large models (bookcases). Would anyone want to see this step by step explained in a tutorial?

Last edited by AEon on 01-10-2015 08:51 AM, edited 1 time in total.Reason: lvlshot'ed the image

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 01-09-2015 04:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Q3 is the issue with this method, the game, level designers and the players don't usually care about this kind of detail. But it makes a ton of difference in overall quality.

But I think it would be great if you wrote down a tutorial about it - it might inspire others to do what you've done!

I do all my more "complex" models (not planks and boxes) in max, I just find it, easier and safer and I think people should start looking into learning low-poly modeling, as others have said, it's kinda what you do now days and have been doing for years in level design.

Valve's gonna mix in Source 2s Hammer with blender even.

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 01-09-2015 09:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pretty simple stuff.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-09-2015 10:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

in the past, i've many used models for "floating" stuff that isn't embedded in my maps brushwork, e.g. crates or bookcases. i really should start expanding my approach to use them all over the place, especially now that my style is getting more modular. just the fact that the textures are locked during rotations and you can update every instance of your model from one source file is priceless. the face that radiant doesn't actually lock textures perfectly for brushes during rotations is probably the bug that drives me more crazy than anything else :cry:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-10-2015 03:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AEon, I think the shader file you submitted is broken somehow. Maybe the space in the name, I don't know. Could be my bad, but it doesn't load for me. I get this:

Edit: darn thing, can't get the img/lvlshot to show. Anyhow, Radiant 1.6.3 just loads the single stages with industrial_light, not the shader itself. No White outlined texture, The shader file is in my scripts directory and added to the shaderlist.txt.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 01-10-2015 05:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Since I initially created the shader file for the lights, I actually did a compile and tried (two of the lights)... they seem to work. But that was aeblocks.shader, not the one I distributed. When I created the shader for the download, I had to fix many paths, and possibly something went wrong there. I would suggest, you copy and rename the shader, remove all but the code for one light, double-check all paths, and add it to shaderlist.txt. Just to see if you can get one light shader working.

I could release the shader for AEblocks... that so far works for me. And you would then need to change the paths to how you need them though. As mentioned, in AEblocks I put all of Sock's textures into one folder textures\aeblocks\ simplifying pathing. Though I did put all light textures into a sub-folder textures\aeblocks\lights\.

Problems like this may be the reason Sock never releases shaders with his texture packs... har :D

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-10-2015 08:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AEon, so you didn't check for reliabilty of the shader?
So, why did you release it?
I just tried to fix it by replacing [] with [_], doesn't help.
So where is the matter really?

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 01-10-2015 08:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There shoulden't be any spaces in any names or paths anywhere inside the q3 folder.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 01-10-2015 09:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Checking...

• Yes, rename the shader from tp_industrial lights.shader to tp_industrial_lights.shader. Probably the shaderlist.txt file does not like spaces in names.
  • I may assume, that the shader resides under Quake3\baseq3\scripts\tp_industrial_lights.shader?
  • And that Quake3\baseq3\scripts\shaderlist.txt contains a line called: tp_industrial_lights
  • The way I named/pathed the shaders, these are not e.g. the grates are not in industrial_floor but in industrial... so you need to select that in the textures list, i.e. in GTKradiant, Textures menu, industrial. All shaders are in industrial. But you should have seen that looking into the shader file paths. I did it to avoid naming issues of seeing a texture and its shader side by side.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-10-2015 12:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Had a look into the shader.
I think the problem lies here:

This is yours:

textures/industrial/glass
{
qer_editorimage textures/industrial_glass/glass_gold.tga //...
q3map_nonplanar //...
surfaceparm nolightmap
surfaceparm trans
// surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm lightfilter
surfaceparm nonsolid
{
map textures/industrial_glass/glass_gold.tga
blendFunc GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA
rgbGen identity //...
}
}

Just an example.

It should be:

textures/industrial_glass/glass
{
qer_editorimage textures/industrial_glass/glass_gold.tga //...
q3map_nonplanar //...
surfaceparm nolightmap
surfaceparm trans
// surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm lightfilter
surfaceparm nonsolid
{
map textures/industrial_glass/glass_gold.tga
blendFunc GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA
rgbGen identity //...
}
}

Then the glass shader should appear under industrial->glass in Radiant.
With your shaderfile Radiant doesn't know where to put it.
The editorimage has to exist if referenced in the shader (It's what's shown in Radiant as a substitude for the actual texture. It is the pic that has the white frame when being a shader). It doesn't have to be in the same subfolder but it usually ends up there.

You can create one shaderfile that references all subfolders, but you have to reference them ;).
Or you can create several shaderfiles for each subfolder like iD did or EvilLair did for evil6, IE.
One shaderfile is easier to be added to shaderlist.txt, though.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-22-2015 11:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Now that i get the scaling in Radiant i have just to say: WOW!!!
Sock, thats really an amazing work! Your Texture-set made me think different about layouting a Map.
Just played around an hour last night...

Right Box in last screen is just 1 Brush, the left one i cut to form.
AFTER I DID THE BOX I JUST SAW THAT SOCK DID IT THE SAME WAY ON THE CRANE MAP SO I NEVER WILL USE IT IN ANY OF MY MAPS!
This Texture set made me thinking about doing my own textures :)
SOCK, i really thank you for sharing this great textures! Your Set made me change the way to design!
For me its like i found the "Heiliger Gral" Holy Grail!
And its amazing to see that a Game released on 1999 still have a Fanbase!
And THX to the Guys out here, im not new to Mapping... But in the last 4 Weeks i learnd more from reading posts then in the last years! I had no Internet most Time and thats realy a blocker.
Esp THX to Cityy: You made me start mapping again and you dont know about that :D
Me just installed quake live when i was bored and looking for free2play games.
I saw QL and was flashed! I saw "Left Behind" and was like WOOOW!
Then i saw Cityy started mapping in 2009, and thinking about this i felt pissed and ashame that i never finished stuff:D :D
I thought Q3 was dead for Years.
Thank you Guys for this coole Page and sharing all your information!
:up:

EDIT: Id took me 3 Times to match scaling "ingame". First try was way to small... You have to think different, its not like using "Stock Q3A Textures"... its weird... Same with the "Multi-Monitor" setup... I just close windows like on reflex caused by working for years only with 1 display :( By the way, is there an option to fix texture/scale/bla.. windows on a 2nd screen?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-09-2015 12:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just want to ask if its okay to paint some "decals" onto the Textures?

Example:

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-10-2015 02:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not sure. I was gonna to modify some textures in my current project to get a bit more rusty look out, but as I see it, I will have to use decals instead. I can ask Sock if I can somehow modify the given textures to create own versions. If not, I don't lose my head and take some of the textures from CGtextures.com - I am registered here with free account, so I can take many textures. I think it is better to place decal somewhere on the wall instead of modifying the texture and make seams by aligning the decaled textured in a place. Also using brush decals have its advantages over decals painted over texture that it can be used without a seam over multiple brushes with different textures. We do not live in 1999 where the engine originaly used the old painted technique that made seams around the textures when aligning.

Also, you could learn of _decal q3map2 entity which is taken by compiler and projected onto surfaces which are in a range between the decal entity and targetted point entity. I posted a sample map somewhere here in the LEM forum where I used two decals from Tabun's set.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-10-2015 02:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thx, i tried to get that decal-projection stuff to work but it wont. :(

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-10-2015 02:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Try to learn from this test map: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/764 ... lstair.pk3

Yes, I finally found it :) This is good to see how the engine wraps the decal texture around the brushwork :)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-10-2015 08:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks, but i cannot download it :/

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-10-2015 08:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just click the given link. If you are using IE 11, an orange bar appears at bottom: Click the arrow belong with Save and select Save as...

A dialog window appears. Follow instructions inside:

Click Save. Then you can open it like normal ZIP file with your archivation app. It is not important when saving, but I recommend to save it right as PK3 file, regartheless it says ZIP. If downloaded unchanged extension, change it then to PK3 before moving to baseq3.

If this still doesn't work for you, type me, what browser do you use.
Hope it will help you :)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-10-2015 09:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Now it works, thanks again. Jeah thats looking really good! I have to give it a try again even it seems that shaders hate me :) Im feeling so foolisch that i cant get a simple shader shader to work, its a shame :/

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 06-19-2016 03:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I finally got around to making a video of the Bridge Crane Map
I hope you enjoy the camera setup (used QMM 1.7)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVnomYr6QNY
EDIT : Youtube tags seem to be broken :/

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-20-2016 12:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sock wrote:
I finally got around to making a video of the Bridge Crane Map
I hope you enjoy the camera setup (used QMM 1.7)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVnomYr6QNY
EDIT : Youtube tags seem to be broken :/

Nope they're not :)

Amazing piece of work by the way. If I didn't know any better, I'd swear that's UT2004 I'm looking at, if not something even more recent than that.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-20-2016 12:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow, Sock :) Do you actually plan to release that map? :) That would be cool to play :D

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 06-22-2016 03:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You guys can grab that on sock's page if you're interested... It looks sexy, doesn't it?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-22-2016 04:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I actually have the industrial texture pack downloaded :) But I'd like to actually play the Bridge Crane map :) Looks so awwesoooome! :)

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 06-22-2016 05:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I meant the map, CZghost. EDIT: It seems the DL links aren't available for this yet. @sock, mind releasing the pk3/map files for this awesome abomination of a map? We'd think it'd be tons of fun. @CZghost agrees.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-22-2016 06:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, Sock replied to me in YouTube comments. The map has no gameplay, it was only built to show the actual power of these textures and what can be actually built using this textureset. I offered him he would make the gameplay version of the map - add the items, bots support and so on :)

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 06-22-2016 11:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

IIRC Sock has no plans to release map/source

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-22-2016 11:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I know that. Sooo shame :(

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 06-25-2016 03:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I can understand everyone is curious to wander around the map, but (I mean a big but) there is nothing there, no gameplay, no items, no flow, its just a giant box of models. "So why don't you add all those things!" Sorry, I would prefer to spend my time on other projects!

All of the textures have been released, there are tons of reference images on the internet, several decal texture packs have been linked around these parts and all the editor tools are available to create your own industrial visions! :)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.