Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        bistro t1 beta 1

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: bistro t1 beta 1

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-18-2012 02:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A rather small deathmatch map suited for 2-5 players. I got introduced to GtkRadiant with this map.

Screenshots : http://imgur.com/a/c4EWq
Download (QL) : http://www.mediafire.com/?0x850se7ceh5ttp (/devmap bistrot1b1)

I'm trying to get some motivation to learn how to use the appropriate shaders as I need them for various things. The QL skybox wasn't intended to be used for a floater obviously so I'll need to modify it (I like the upper half of the current skybox tho, the bottom is the problem) or find something else. There are some annoying strange blocks not blocking players/projectiles/bullets for some reason I don't really understand (pillars around mega for an example and a small portion of wall between the LG and the RA). Well, that's it for now.

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 07-18-2012 08:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I really like what you've done with the stairs and some of the way things are layered... reminds me of UT99 pretty strongly. Might be able to DL later...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-18-2012 10:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow, this is your first Q3 map? Do you have any experience doing level design for other games? As a first map (even with prior level design experience), this is truly exceptional.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 07-18-2012 11:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tried to download the map twice... size 2774413 bytes, the pk3 file is corrupt and will not load.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-19-2012 12:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

BISTROMan wrote:
There are some annoying strange blocks not blocking players/projectiles/bullets for some reason I don't really understand (pillars around mega for an example and a small portion of wall between the LG and the RA).

You can create a brush and apply the "playerclip" shader found under "common" to create invisible brushes that block player movement. You can recreate the non-solid bits with brushes textured with the playerclip shader to make them appear solid again. Additionally, to block weapon fire, use the "weapclip" shader in the same way to block weapon shots and projectiles.

Also, it's always a good idea to run through your map sliding along walls. If there's any uneven vertical trims that stick out as much as a single unit players tend to get stuck behind them. It's a good idea to use playerclip to smooth out wall surfaces so that movement-wise, the walls appear smooth. It may sound odd, but it's best for gameplay and feels more natural than getting stuck behind small trims all the time. In some of the id Software example maps, you can see they're often clipping off walls with as much as 16 or even 24 units. Sometimes you can also create a triangular brush with one surface at an angle with the wall so players kind of glide along the clipbrush away from the wall if they run along a wall and might get stuck behind some detail brushwork.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-19-2012 04:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AEon wrote:
Tried to download the map twice... size 2774413 bytes, the pk3 file is corrupt and will not load.
Are you sure you tried it in Quakelive and not Quake 3 ? I've tried to download it and play, it seems to work. I just want to be sure before I re-compile/re-encode/re-upload.
Kaz wrote:
I really like what you've done with the stairs and some of the way things are layered... reminds me of UT99 pretty strongly. Might be able to DL later...
Thanks. The map is indeed inspired from dm-peak, aka the most irritating map in UT99. Aside from that, the gameplay is completely different, well I'd better hope it is :owned:
Eraser wrote:
Wow, this is your first Q3 map? Do you have any experience doing level design for other games? As a first map (even with prior level design experience), this is truly exceptional.
Thanks. Yes I mapped until around 2005 for HL/HL2 with Hammer. I haven't done anything else since then, I had a nasty computer crash. In fact, this map is a remake of an unshown map I made in 2005, luckily I found it stored in an old gmail address shortly after I began gaming again. Fortunately, the textures set in QL is much more pleasant to work with.
Eraser wrote:
You can create a brush and apply the "playerclip" shader found under "common" to create invisible brushes that block player movement. You can recreate the non-solid bits with brushes textured with the playerclip shader to make them appear solid again. Additionally, to block weapon fire, use the "weapclip" shader in the same way to block weapon shots and projectiles.

Also, it's always a good idea to run through your map sliding along walls. If there's any uneven vertical trims that stick out as much as a single unit players tend to get stuck behind them. It's a good idea to use playerclip to smooth out wall surfaces so that movement-wise, the walls appear smooth. It may sound odd, but it's best for gameplay and feels more natural than getting stuck behind small trims all the time. In some of the id Software example maps, you can see they're often clipping off walls with as much as 16 or even 24 units. Sometimes you can also create a triangular brush with one surface at an angle with the wall so players kind of glide along the clipbrush away from the wall if they run along a wall and might get stuck behind some detail brushwork.
Thanks for the tip. I didn't know about the weapclip, I just found it in the texture browser thanks to you. The weird thing is that the transparent blocks around RA seem to block -vis because when I toggle r_showtris 1, I see no polygon behind it. I've deleted those blocks and replaced them with new ones but the error persists. Besides the obvious bugs I mentionned, playerclips are already setup for most parts, for walls at least although I might have missed some spots. I will probably use them for ceilings too since players getting bounced around with a RL might easily get stuck there.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 07-19-2012 04:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmmm... the issue is indeed QL... never occurred to me to use it. Was using Q3A. So even custom map pk3 files have so form of encryption?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-19-2012 05:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quake Live expects encrypted PK3's so whatever content you wish to supply to it, it must be in encrypted form.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-25-2012 12:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I haven't done much work lately. This normally wouldn't warrant a new beta but I've moved a staircase around the map (see the three last pics) and I'd like to make sure this move is for the better before I add more stuff that can't be transferred easily from one version to the other. I'll give it some time to think about it, I probably won't do much more right now. I'll probably sit on it for a while, so here it is.

For the few additions : Reactors @ pic 8, 2d sprites under weapons and powerups, teleporters look decent now.

Screenshots : http://imgur.com/a/YNiuU
Download (for Quakelive) : http://www.mediafire.com/?c6z6b0osyyupjx4 (/devmap bistrot1b2)

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 07-26-2012 04:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

and what is with a version for q3 ?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 07-28-2012 02:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fist Post from this thread "07-18-2012 03:35 PM"

Download from bistrot1b1

Pk3 is ql Format.
bsp is q3 Format.

?

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-28-2012 03:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

QL maps works with Q3 format afaik, only pk3 files as a whole are encoded. I didn't make a Q3 version because I used QL textures. If I did a Q3 version, I would have to include QL textures in the pk3, and I'm not allowed to do this.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 07-29-2012 06:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I can play the map in q3.
have all the textures of ql.

The skybox is not good for space map Style.
Some textures are still not properly.
by Radiant "surface inspector".
an example:
- gkc15_big
- panel04ntrl2

in the center of the map
-----------------------
by the weapons
two Rail and two Rocket ?
too much.

Less is better.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.