Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        [BETA] 13yard "The Lost Yard"

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: [BETA] 13yard "The Lost Yard"

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-14-2012 06:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A remake of q3dm17 "The Longest Yard" in Quake :q1: style. Inspired by an early Beta Screenshot of q3dm17.

I started this remake in 2005, so it's not really a new Map. :D
It's definitely not anymore a serious 1vs1 map. But Deathmatch with 3-4 player will do it fine.

Screenshots:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Differences from q3dm17:
- void replaced with a sea of acid
- Railgun replaced with Lightning Gun (to fit in the Quake theme)
- added a Grenade Launcher for spam from the upper levels
- a new alternate Windpipe path to access the upper levels from the lower
- an acid-bath trap for all shaftlamers
- a secret, hard to find - harder to enter (but possible without noclip!)

Download Beta2: (2.9MB)
http://sst13.net/maps/map-13yard_b2.pk3
http://sst13.net/maps/map-13yard_b2.zip

Now I'm looking for some general feedback, bugs, used panties... :drool: :D

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-14-2012 06:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I wish that those details on the back of the tower were a little more visible without noclip. I would also add more of that ivy to add some more colour into the map. Maybe change one of the floor tile textures for a bit more contrast - maybe try darkening it. Beautiful map otherwise.

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 08-14-2012 09:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:eek:

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 08-14-2012 10:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Very cool remake, I like it much more than the original. I couldn't make it into the secret room even with 200 health and armor, unless I was doing it wrong?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-15-2012 12:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I like those screenshots a lot. I will try this out later. Nice concept. I like the whole acid sea and Quake theme.

Last edited by Infernis on 08-15-2012 02:11 AM, edited 1 time in total.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-15-2012 12:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sst, do you know the MS3D has its own MD3 export function? At least from version 1.8.x...

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 08-15-2012 12:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Duly noted the extra work you put into preview images and full images and linking those :up:

sst13 wrote:

I really like the above screenshot, and as Obsidian already said it is a shame the player will almost never see it. Unless you do some "lava" jumping backwards. Adding outside walkways or platforms would mess with the original layout. Maybe a hidden TP and a rock island a bit out there could be added. Hmm... camping there would need to be restricted in some way...

Giving it a spin later. Map is older than my AEdm7... that was 6 years in the "finishing"... :)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-15-2012 12:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I wouldn't mess up the layout of the map just to be able to see that detail. Keep it like it is. It just gives the feeling that the author really has a lot of attention to detail. And if people really want to see it, well, no one is stopping them from jumping off, right? ;)

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-15-2012 01:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sst, you have made the acid too hurtly... I was unable to get into the secret without the noclip cheat... Try to lower the dmg value of trigger_hurt you have made or allow battle suit protection.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-15-2012 06:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments!

CZghost wrote:
sst, do you know the MS3D has its own MD3 export function? At least from version 1.8.x...

Yes, but sometimes i need the "rebuilt normals - ignore UV splits" function. Or just for a quick texture-path edit.

You can see the details on the back of the towers when you exit the Windpipe and someone shooting a rocket under your feet. Or shafting your ass. If you play with humans this will happen often enough. :D

To the secret (spoiler alert):

- collect YA, MH & RA
- push one of the buttons nearby RA
- jump on the button railing
- jump down as close as possible to the wall/bridge
- swim the shortest possible path (!)
- you need to resist 3 hurts
- milliseconds before the

I just want to prevent players hiding down there in regular games, but it's possible. :)

Edit: added spoiler alert, because I actually want to find how to get there myself. -Obs.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 08-15-2012 07:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Very cool idea. :up:

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 08-15-2012 08:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Been a long time since a MP had secrets, nifty secret BTW, and quite typically where the secrets were at times almost unfairly difficult to find. Jump against a light fixture to open a wall, or worse, randomly shoot all walls.

Details I really liked:
  • Overall cool re-imagined design of the original (I am not so much a fan of gritty Quake-ish textures).
  • Those "light mines" out there in the acid are nifty, bobbing, and even connected by chains (almost no one will ever see) to the a sea-floor.
  • All your APs and JPs... the wind shader is really great... I might need to borrow that for a future map ;)... especially the angled blades of the APs, motivating why the player is accelerated forward instead of up are nicely thought out.
  • The two new wind-tunnels in the lower part of the map, help the fundamental issue of beiing a sitting duck down there. Players normally had to go for the quint-JP, and got picked off from above especially with the RG (in instagib). Nifty how the iris closes after you, no idea how that even works.
  • Outside walls, the TPs the metal-work behind the TPs looks very nice.
  • I like the plants on the walls next to the wind pipes. Lets hear it for more plants!

Other comments:
  • Those lower level wind pipes could IMO also use the sucking in wind shader you are using for all the JP and AP... to make clear, get close and you will get sucked into the tube.
  • I like the small round window at the back side of the LG trap, with the abstracted Q3A logo... very elegant and minimalistic. You might like to mirror that in larger as actual Quad grate as well... to make it more obvious to most players.
  • The switches and the trap... hmm...
    • Took me a while to understand what they did.
    • Three (under Quad, and near the two iris-wind-tube exits) of the five switches I found actually have no direct line of sight to what they are manipulating, i.e. the dropping of the LG platform. This makes those three switches not really that useful IMO. The one under the Quad you could possibly quick jump down onto from above. But the iris corner ones might better be placed more towards the center of the map... or dropped altogether.
    • The trap seems to be more of a nostalgic, mischievous gimmick? To begin with I personally would actually not go for the LG and risk getting trapped, for the RG on the other hand I would. Then the triggering will almost always fail. Even if someone uses the AP to get to the LG, and is in flight, a simple (even for me) strafe left or right will let you easily miss the trap and directly hit one of the two APs near the LG.
    • So the trap is more for those that know the map, able to frustrate map beginners that don't? hmmm...
  • Since the map is pretty much finished, this would be very very late in the game but I noted that many textures seem to look extra blurry, especially the floor tiles. Any chance to hires them somewhat?

Hope that makes sense.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-15-2012 11:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kudos for taking the most often re-made map in Quake 3 and coming up with something simple but utterly fantastic.
I agree with AEon, wish the textures where more hires, but aside from that, legendary re-make, the sea, the bouys, the chains....awesome stuff.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-16-2012 08:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dONKEY wrote:
Kudos for taking the most often re-made map in Quake 3 and coming up with something simple but utterly fantastic...

Agree :up: :up: :up:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-17-2012 04:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I played it, have to agree with dONKEY too. However, the layout doesn't do the style justice imo. I would love to see more geometry in this style.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-23-2012 12:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@AEon:

The iris is made of 8 teamed func_doors. The single parts moving sideways to create the iris-effect.

A "sucking in wind shader" is done... plus a border on the floor that marks the active sucking-zone.

Yes the trap is definitely a nostalgic gimmick. Maybe you can't kill the enemy, but he can't reach the LG. :D
The switches are distributed on all levels, so you can reach them hopefully fast enough from wherever you are.

I made the textureset in 2003 for my DM1 remake. So it's very old, but I want to keep the set. :)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-21-2012 02:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The map is now final!

Download Final Version: (2.9MB)

PK3: http://sst13.net/maps/map-13yard.pk3
ZIP: http://sst13.net/maps/map-13yard.zip

Have fun!

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 12-21-2012 03:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks like you really had good run finishing off not one, two or three but four of your maps. Hehe... :)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 12-24-2012 08:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There have been some outstanding maps released in 2012, but somehow, for me, this is the best of the lot. GG

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 01-07-2013 02:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:

I wish that those details on the back of the tower were a little more visible without noclip. I would also add more of that ivy to add some more colour into the map. Maybe change one of the floor tile textures for a bit more contrast - maybe try darkening it. Beautiful map otherwise.

What is that undie supposed to be for? :olo:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-07-2013 04:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

He asked for it:

sst13 wrote:
Now I'm looking for some general feedback, bugs, used panties... :drool: :D

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-12-2013 05:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:

nice map, excellent flow

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-14-2021 07:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Lost Yard - Extended:

Finally I finished my extended version of this map. After alsmost 5 years. :owned:

New stuff:
A big platform (tower) in the sea.
A small metal teleporter platform floating in the air. (brings you in the old secret room to pick up the quad)

There are 3 new secrets in the map to find.
#1 baby cthulhu hides somewhere else. (search with spectator)
#2 a button activates deadly lightnings on the new metal teleporter platform.
#3 a underwater button opens the gateway to daddy cthulhu. (can only be entered as spectator)

Download Q3A version (4.7 MB)
PK3: map-13yard_xt.pk3
ZIP: map-13yard_xt.zip

QL version here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =666692962

Have fun... sst13

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-15-2021 08:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Loving the new Quad room! The changes overall are nice and makes the map more interesting - I can't get enough of maps that encourage you to search for hidden details/secrets!

I can't press the button for the last secret - how do you press buttons as a spectator? :olo:

:up: :up:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-15-2021 08:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

themuffinman wrote:
how do you press buttons as a spectator?

press button, and then go to spec. ;)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-15-2021 09:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sst13 wrote:
themuffinman wrote:
how do you press buttons as a spectator?

press button, and then go to spec. ;)

But it kills you instantly before you can press it (even with god mode), and can't be activated by shooting it...

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-15-2021 10:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mega and RA providing enough protection for the short dive.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.