Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        New map - alpha - need help :)

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: New map - alpha - need help :)

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 05-12-2005 05:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm making new map and i need few suggestions about it.
In spite of graphics and the fact that map looks how it looks (you know, alpha ver ;P) there's two things to do:
- item placement
- layout
First i wanted to make it 1on1 level, but people just says it's too big. So there's option number two - 2on2 team deathmatch. That is the problem, cuz my experience in making team maps is like zero :P.

Overall - i need suggestions - should i make it tourney or team map and also help with item placement and maybe with layout (i think it's quite good right now).

URL - dAde_test Alpha

Oh yeah, map name is temporary ;P.

Thanks

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 05-12-2005 08:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1v1, bwahahaha. :icon28:

Really liked the map, played around with about 6 bots for ~15 minutes and only a few things really seemed wrong to me.

* MH needs a different area, where it's at right now maybe needs a Plasma or something. The room it's in kinda seems "out of place" or something. There isn't a real "risk" invovled, just run like hell there and back into the action. It played that way to me anyway...

* Like Kaziganthe said, a few areas seemed way to open.

* In the below shot, I would throw a ball of health or something there...maybe some armor. Seems like to much blood gets thrown around there, (not a bad thing...but something might fit well there).

[lvlshot]http://www.members.cox.net/borke/shot0003.jpg[/lvlshot]

* I don't think you really need to add anymore items to the map, other than a plasma where I stated earlier maybe. Like I said, playing with around 8 bots I never seemed to run out of ammo to fast and stayed pretty healthed and armored up for the most part.

I took about 5 other screenshots but with it being late and the long day I pulled I've already forgot what else I was going to say. :p

You have a nice layout though, I wouldn't change to much about that...but I'll see what else I can come up with after many hours of sleep.

Welcome to Q3W btw. ;)

edit: I'm gonna throw the other links down below that I took that I was going to comment on, like I said I forgot but maybe you can see something that needs to be layed down or changed in the following......................

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 05-17-2005 01:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

New version - URL

Changes:
- layout
- item placement

Things to do:
- layout & item placement ;)
- put textures on that
- "tdm stuff" like target_locations etc....

About new version - small changes in layout near RG. Also some bigger changes in item placement (i think now it's more 2on2 than it was with 1st alpha... ;).

There's one quite empty place - the floor in the RA room (floor under RA) and I think about putting there something, but I don't know what... Any suggestions? Maybe leave it as it is now?

Thanks for comments, wanna more :D.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-17-2005 01:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oh my god this layout is so confusing and boring at the same time. if you want a good playing 2v2 map you have to enlarge a 1v1 layout. add a fallback area and perhaps a third key area and you'll have decent 2v2.

as i've said: after 10 mins i still don't know where i am in the map. scales are extreme (esp vertical) and the areas are huge and empty. shrink the whole map and you might solve the problem. the complexity of the map is also too heavy for players to learn the layout withing a single game. if i were you i'd remove the lowest levels and make the other parts more distinct and more interesting. atm the map has nearly no structure that would host good fights.

i played nearly all of the former maps of you and these layouts were great compared to this.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-17-2005 05:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The scale is too large.. particularly if your going to include a rail gun. The distance between floors and the scale of the rooms should be cut down a bit, imo. Even if you choose to go with a 2v2, the map should be scaled down 25% or so. Big open rooms = bad!

The layout is a bit difficult to wrap your mind around, but its not so big and complex that its beyond learning. A lot of good maps cant be learned in one sitting - its not necesarilly a bad thing :D

Texture choice (even tho its an alpha) was a bit distracting as well. I understand that you wanted to make seperate areas more distinct so it would be easier to find your way around, but more neutral textures would have been appreciated.

I think the layout is definitely workable. There is definitely a good flow to the level. If you work on some of the scale issues, I think this map could have a lot of potential :)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.