Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        dmr3tourney2 "Innominatum objectum" by DOOMer - final

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: dmr3tourney2 "Innominatum objectum" by DOOMer - final

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-12-2013 10:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Innominatum objectum [dmr3tourney2] by DOOMer

beta 1 > beta 2 > rc1 > final

Description:
My second tourney map for Quake 3 (vanilla Q3, not tested in CPMA mod)/ I make it for MAverick Servers Contest 2013.

Weapons and items:
RL, PG, LG, RG, GL and 2xSG
RA, YA and MH
ammo for all used wapons

Sxreenshots:

Additional:
In beta 1 map is not clipped at the walls :( ANd many small brushes in not make as detail.

Download
dmr3tourney2.zip (ZIP, 1.0 megabytes, Direct Link to file)

Last edited by _DOOMer_ on 09-15-2013 12:11 AM, edited 6 times in total.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 08-13-2013 08:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Some very sporadic comments:

• Over all the map feels very flat and spread out, I have the feeling if you double the height of the map, and try to condense it's footprint (in x and y), the gameplay could be very much more condensed and more interesting.
  • You have dramatic lighting in the map, unusual and interesting. But there are reasons why you don't see it in multiplayer, to not let folks camp in dark corners. I would recommend adding some lights in all your, not dark, but actually black corners.
  • The corrugated metal and brown look is a nice touch, trouble is even though you vary your textures they all have that colour scheme, making it difficult to orientate. I would recommend to open up part of your map to the sky, or add windows to make that part stand out. Also you might want to add some rusted metal framework in another part of the map (cranes, antennas, maybe even a bridge or something), to also differentiate that other part of the map.
  • I noted a door frame, that will turn into a teleporter at some point?

Not much feedback, but maybe it helps.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-14-2013 02:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AEon, thanks for your feedback.

1. Yes, I know that the map looks a bit flat :( I tried make smaller the RA room at one axis. The сurrent layout of this room did not really good.

2. Yes. I add some small light into the dark corners and to one dark corridor, which connect RG room and YA.

3. I probably will not add sky, the map will in-door type. And some decorate elements or windows will be added in some places.

4. Teleports? Maybe I add one it.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-24-2013 06:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Beta 2

Cnanges:
  • removed GL
  • map has become more compact rooms with RA, RL MHi reduced in size
  • instead of a room with GL added a small corridor between MH and RA rooms.
  • lighting rework, almost cleaned completely dark corners
  • small changes in the geometry of the corridors and rooms
  • in some places the walls of small decorative added
  • small changed the positions of MH, RA, SG and PG and other items
  • started coverage map clip-brushes (although not full covered in this version)

Screenshots

Download
Innominatum objectum (dmr3tourney2) - beta 2 (ZIP, 1.0 megabytes, Direct Link to file)

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 08-24-2013 12:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

looks ut-ish

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-24-2013 03:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's bad? I used textures pack, which was oriented on UT by design its author.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 08-25-2013 02:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think, you build your map in the horizontal planar, forgot the verticals (not too complex).
The texture theme is not too various in my opinion (I think it makes the map a littlebit boring in a short time).
Need a better lvlshot, although it is currently beta (Currently is a bit fun :) ).
The map is a bit bright (omg... I thought I heard that somewhere. ;) )

I found some missing textures:

Despite at all, I can see that, you are trying. Work on your map(s) more, and make it non-beta version. :up:

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-25-2013 03:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@Martinus

Poor for vertically gameplay? Yes, I know it. It's my one of main problems in mapping :(

Missing textures is fixed now. I updated and reuploaded archive with new PK3 file some minutes ago.

The map is a bit bright. Maybe, maybe... Which places the brightest in your opinion?

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 08-25-2013 03:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think, all the light sources need to be set lower(I saw the beta1 too, and that was not bright like beta2).
Set the map's _ambient key lower, or delete it.

But... that is just my opinion. :rolleyes:

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-29-2013 07:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@Martinus
I not use _ambient key in worldspawn and light entity.

rc1

Cnanges:
  • changed the corridor between central room and room with MH, instead of the two ramps added dzhampad
  • changed the location of plasma gun and one of the shotguns (in the room with MH)
  • added a little LG-ammo and helths
  • changed the location of some ammo and health items
  • reworked the lighting in the corridor connecting the rooms with MH and RA
  • added "markers" on weapons spawns
  • added and changed some decorative elements on the walls and in the "arches"

Screenshots (clickable)

Download
Innominatum objectum (dmr3tourney2) - rc1 (ZIP, 1.0 megabytes, Direct Link to file)

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 09-10-2013 12:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just a quick comment:

Either it is because I played Dishonored and Far Cry 3 extensively the past weeks, but several of your ramps seem to be a bit on the steep side. When you run into them they feel like syrup... and slow you down. I did try to do some strafe-jumping (I am terrible at that) but still the ramps slow you down. If this was Quake IV, you could ramp jump, and that would be neat. But in Q3A I wonder if replacing some ramps with steps would not be better. You should easily have enough polygons to spare without impacting the frame rate.

I still feel that closing off the map completely is the wrong thing to do. It is so Quake'ish. Sky, windows, something along those lines would help the map, IMO.

The location of the RL between ramps feels strange, why not put it into the middle of that huge ground floor area instead?

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 09-15-2013 12:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Map created fot the MSC 2013 and because of this I will not make any other changes. I'm released final version of this map two weeks ago (and forgot annonce there). Because Iof this I'm understand that map is far from ideal (missing more vertical gameplay, non very good location of some items). I'm happy with the map released only 70%, but my very poor planning on the prepare stage influenced the final result.

AEon, thanks for your comments in this thread. Without them, the map would have been even worse.

Quote:
The location of the RL between ramps feels strange, why not put it into the middle of that huge ground floor area instead?

Yes, probably would have been better. I do not remember now, why put a RL there, between two ramps.

Maybe I'll make version 2 in a few months and will implement many of your suggestions and comments. But it will be after I finish my previous announced map and the map for tEntityPlus, which I started a few days ago.

Download
Innominatum objectum (dmr3tourney2) - final (ZIP, 2.1 megabytes, Direct Link to file)

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 09-16-2013 05:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I played your map and liked it. The texturing has a cool theme to it and the lighting is good. The gameplay might not be ground-breaking, but it works for me. The billboards are a bit garish unfortunately, but I realize that's a contest requirement, so it can't be helped. That said, I would like to see a version without them.

One thing that was missing for me is a centerpiece. By that, I mean a particularly interesting prop or eye-catching part of the architecture, to create a focal point in the map.

Just my 2 cents. Take it with a grain of salt, I'm a skinner not a mapper! :p

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 10-12-2013 11:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Map got 6th place in the competition, and I have something to think about, to improve it.

WendyB, thanks for your suggestion :) I'm decided to make second version this map, But it not will be earlier than Jan-Feb of 2014.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 10-13-2013 05:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@WendyB: That version might be created by author if he wants to have map without them.
@Doomer: Would you like to make Quake Live version? I create new map this time, actualy named simply Bunker, which is work only name and shouldn't be taken in effect. See viewtopic.php?f=10&t=49595
When it gets to final version, I will try to make version for Quake Live :)

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 10-18-2013 08:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@CZghost, I don't plan to make QL version of this map by myself. But as cooperative project - I like the idea of this :)

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 10-20-2013 03:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, doomer. When I will release final version of my new in progress map and find further time, I will take a look and contact you. Do you have Google+ account? I will add you in my circle and make a cooperative folder in Google Drive. There will be our ql map... What do you say to that? :)

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 10-21-2013 11:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

is that the sgtech texture set from ut99? if so you might have issues getting it into ql. copyright and all that.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 10-23-2013 08:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@CZghost, ok. Send me a message, when you are will be ready to start make conversion of the my map for QL.

@fKd. No, this a not sgtech textures from UT99. This is HourPitores set by Hourences (http://www.hourences.com)

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 10-23-2013 11:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 10-24-2013 06:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes, I will. Just as I will pass the final stage of my map and release it on my websites, Dropbox, Google Drive and on lvlworld...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.