Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Any way to load a reference image?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Any way to load a reference image?

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-19-2014 11:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have a sketch of a level I drew in photoshop. Is there anyway to load a reference image into gtkradiant and then block out the level on top of that?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-20-2014 07:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plugin toolbar, first 4 icons.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-20-2014 03:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks, anyway to do that in 1.5 ? also whats the scale. How many grid blocks is a average player height?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 01-20-2014 04:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Player height is 80units IIRC, which is something like 7 feet in the real world.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 01-20-2014 11:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Player model height is 54 units. :)

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-21-2014 07:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Scale is difficult to judge in Q3 due to the exaggerated physics of the game as well as the exaggerated FoV. The player runs and jumps much faster and higher than a real person would. So the game world scale needs to be equally exaggerated to compensate. The camera height and field of view also affects the scale that the world looks to the player.

The player hitbox is the same size as the info_player_deathmatch entity: 32x32x56. A standing player model roughly fills that volume, though they do vary largely in size (compare the volume of space that Tank Jr. takes up compared to Crash). Most player models are slightly taller than the hitbox, probably averaging around 64 units.

Due to the physics of the game, the player can easily jump over their standing height, so a head clearance of 128 units is a minimum. Doorways are usually a minimum of 128x128, which relative to the size of the player model is absolutely huge, but it "feels" right when playing the game because you need that much space to run or jump through the doorway without smacking into something. Due to camera height and FoV, it doesn't look that much out of place when playing the game, unless you are running around in third-person.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.