Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Help with Leak and MAX_MAP_VISIBILITY (GTKRadiant 1.5)

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Help with Leak and MAX_MAP_VISIBILITY (GTKRadiant 1.5)

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-26-2014 02:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi

Im making a rather large map and I am being bombarded with about 20-30 leaks along with an error. The error I am recieving is:
"MAX_MAP_VISIBILITY EXCEEDED".

I have searched and tried to increase the _blocksize to any low to high power of 2 digits with no luck.

I have gone through every area of the map and detailed as many brushes and such as I deem to be possible.
I have tried caulking the outside to my best efforts.

The leaks I recieve are similar the: "Entity 500: Brush 0"

Now when I try to delete this entity, the error remains and the map just chooses another entity. If I keep deleting them, it just never quite stops. It constantly selects another entity.

So I figured my map must be leaking, right? Yet I cant find any red lines that usually indicate where the leakage is happening which is usually the case... I don't even know where to start!

I make an entire caulk box around the whole map, select the inside, then invert it. There's a ton of brushes and such that get marked... Does that mean all of these are being leaked? That was my asumption.

So I make an entire box around the entire map on all 3 cameras in the 2D view, hollow it with caulk. Then I select the inside, and invert it yet again. Yet the same brushes and such get marked again...

If it was a leak, shouldnt that huge box have covered it? What can possibly be causing this? Help!

I also posted this on JkHub as the game I am making the map for is Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy.

Oh and I also really want to say that Obsidian has an amazing avatar as I love Kirk Lazarus and that he's helped me a ton when it comes to learning how to map through his posts and such (im a beginner though).

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 04-26-2014 05:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It would be easier for me to know what's going on with your level if you could release screenshots of the problem areas.
MAX_VISIBILITY_EXCEEDED usually means that the map is structually too complex and you are exceeding 2MB in vis data. Are you using some form of terrain and you forgot to set it as detail?
As for the leaks, are there brush entities that are entirely in the void?

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-26-2014 05:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tehSandwich wrote:
It would be easier for me to know what's going on with your level if you could release screenshots of the problem areas.
MAX_VISIBILITY_EXCEEDED usually means that the map is structually too complex and you are exceeding 2MB in vis data. Are you using some form of terrain and you forgot to set it as detail?
As for the leaks, are there brush entities that are entirely in the void?

I don't really think anything is in the void. The rooms were made seperately and later added and each room has like a caulk box around it so everything should really be 'protected'. It's a clan project that started in 2008 and we're finally rather close on finishing it.

I've actually uploaded the map file along with textures, shaders etc. Do you think you could take a look at it for me? My main issue is that I don't even know how to solve it because there's no red line indicating where the leak is and as for the VIS data => I have tried to detail as much as I can. Unless I have missunderstood just how much I can do then I don't know where my issue is...

I gave it a run in GTK 1.4 instead of 1.5.

The same thing happenend although it marked the entities/brushes more clearly (still no red line though).

As I deleted one, it would ask me to delete another yet in the same entitity (just as 1.5).

I believe if I truly delete everything, there may only be like 2-3 rooms out of 10 or so that would not be touched. This is awful :(

The leak error (outside of MAX VIS still), in 1.4 was =>

Entity 0, Brush 7493: Duplicate Plane
Entity 0, Brush 7623: Degenerate Plane

Entity 0, Brush (otherdigits): Degenerate Plane (several ones of these and even one or two Degenerate Patches)

So what exactly is a Degenerate plane/patch?
And how come in 1.4 it mentions Entity 0, Brush # whereas in 1.5 it mentions Entity #, Brush 0?

I also noticed that as I was loading the map in 1.4, I got a few yellow colored lines after each other saying "Brush has no normal" or something like that.

Not sure if that helps.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-26-2014 07:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Entity 0 is Worldspawn, means it isn't part of any other entity, eg. func_door.

Make sure your caulk hull/skybox is all structural, while anything that doesn't need to be is detail. That fixes any void leaks that don't belong.

As for max_map_visibility, the only answer is to make structural brushes to break up the map. If it's a huge terrain map like what I mess around with, it isn't practical, as it needs to go from one side of the map to the other.

Degenerate planes usually happen to me when I have too big a brush, with too small a blocksize. Too large a blocksize also ruins maps, which limits the practical size of a map.

Without pictures, or some idea of what you're doing, there isn't really any way to help you outside of guessing.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-26-2014 07:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@Kitten
Thanks a ton. I really cant wrap my head around it and it's not like the area is small exactly. I've tried to make an entire hollow caulk around the whole map and even that will still lead to the inside/inverted leak...

Tried my best to detail everything as well as caulk the outsides. Double checked that the rest is structural. Im currently messing around with the brush cleanup... no idea if it's working though.

Is there any chance you could actually take a look at it for me?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-26-2014 07:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Caulk hull method of map building means you convert all textured brushes to detail, then block out large structural caulk brushes to form basic walls for vis.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-27-2014 07:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hm.. How come I can't just make an entire caulk box around the entire map? I understand the VIS error if I do that but why are there still leaks after it?

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 04-27-2014 08:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The caulk box around your whole map should work, but if you still have leaks this means that entities (lights, spawns, items etc.) are still intersecting with that caulk box, or are still outside of it. GTKradiant lets you turn off the showing of all sorts of entities, try turning them on again via menu, to let you see them in-editor.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-27-2014 01:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Actually there's one scenario I know of that will cause the caulk box to not work: one of the brushes is too large. Like I said earlier, sometimes there are strange bugs when a brush is too big, relative to blocksize. One such bug is that the brush completely disappears. Increasing blocksize should fix it, but if it doesn't, then there is no solution short of using a different compiler.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.