Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        How to convert real metric units to Quake 3 game units?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: How to convert real metric units to Quake 3 game units?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-19-2014 09:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My goal is try to make a complex map from real world concept (our house is easy enough to do). I need to know the conversion of one unit to inches or centimeters (cm) in comparsion of normal adult human size (180 cm) and player size (64 units). This might be the best conversion, as it gives fixed conversion pallette for different unit system.

The next way (more subjective): Take my size and make whole map in that scale. It might be all from the scratch, I would start with the best recognable thing (in my case it is a glasshouse in high floor level bulit in the house).

I'd prefer the first variant, as it gives me more objective look in the space around in the comparsion of average height of normal adult human. If I take my height, it might be a bit challenge to give it the right scale. I'll see, if the conversion's too much complicated, I'll take the second variant.

Please, do not change anything in this post, nor add another with my name, as you did far before :)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-19-2014 10:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

whoops... delete me k thanks

Last edited by themuffinman on 07-19-2014 10:28 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-19-2014 10:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mr Elusive wrote:
The player model's actual size is a bounding box 30 units by 30 units square with a height of 56 units. In the game world, eight units roughly equal one foot (30.5 cm). From this, we deduce that the characters are a heroic 7 feet tall (2.13 meters).

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-20-2014 02:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow, that means I can't use the fix (correct) scale as the player won't be able to enter the door without a need of crouch. So I will take my height (it's just about the value of the average height) and convert it to the player height.

The equal height of players in comparsion to the described units conversion is just like the tallest man in the world (maybe a bit smaller), but it highly overgrow the average height of normal adult human, I need to have player size in that scale, so I will use my (probably bad) eye to correct the height issue. I tought that player height is equal to the average height of adult human, well, I was wrong.

Thank you for the description of game units conversion to real life units, it seems that this is unavailable for recreating real world environment as the player might be too big for real scale.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-20-2014 06:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Scale is completely way off in Quake 3. The camera position is actually at dwarf height. Converting real life metrics one-to-one to in game units never works well. Besides, real life locations don't work well for Q3 maps either, gameplay wise.

By the way, how many projects are you working on in parallel now czghost?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-20-2014 06:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Quake player can run about as fast as a car and can do a vertical jump over his own height. The physics here don't allow for realistic scaling.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-20-2014 09:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, one dude just tried it (btw, his nick is Maxell, one czech mapper) and the result was great! Well, some narrow and low-height places are a bit problematic, but the great deal of details, the visuals, there are some jokes and secret areas in the map, however, it doesn't support bots and the entire map stuck on beta state. The reason is Maxell no longer map for Quake 3, he makes Doom 3 accessories and modifications, also hasn't enough time to do the job. He was in the prison, probably due the map, it was a copy of a school, and it just looked like he wants to train to do fights in real life, if you watch crime news from USA, there are too many shootings in schools, from students. Europe governments just want to terminate that, such games as shooters with real life locations of type like schools, banks, offices and other places with lots of people represent a tryout to do it in real, for them. In any shooter, try to tell them that Quake 3 isn't real life game at all, that it has unrealistic physics and player/world scale, unrealistic weapons, ammunition, health kits, armory and other things.

Our house is private unit, I will give it a story (representing the location in far far future, far after last human died and vadrigares, or what the player is called, just arrived on Earth, after they destroyed number of planets before). Maxell has done that issue, that he didn't give the map story (if you don't count alien's unplanned visit, after his ship crashed and fell down part of the school building; it's too weak). One point to go ahead: no electric energy, so human made light are darkened; second point: there is a lot of damage on buildings, cars and other accessories that humans use (caused by some factors: corrosion, exhaustion and human factors, for example robbing); third point: there ar numbers of unrealistic effects, like portals, teleporters or some unidetificable light sources. Give the real world copy much unrealistic look and it will pass...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.