Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Who has influenced you the most in mapping?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Who has influenced you the most in mapping?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-31-2014 04:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Trying to find interesting topic to talk about, I'm asking you who has influenced you the most in mapping, since any mapper just should have his favour. My favour is cityy and ShadoW, their maps are incredible and I'd to inspire myself by their maps. Anyway, how are you with mapping? Should we be pleased by a new map or just wait unless you got an inspiration :?:

Also, what's your the best inspiration for making maps? As a mapper newbie, I'd like to learn something about the inspiration given in the map. I have not so much inspirations as I mostly surf the net, but when I remember something, what could be good for making a map, I'll try to imagine how it could look like in the game and then try to realise. How about you? :cool:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 07-31-2014 04:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LegionXS made some really cool shit that started me mapping back in the day

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 07-31-2014 11:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hipshot, Sock, Cityy

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-31-2014 11:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, Hipshot makes great skyboxes (and maps) :) Sock is somewhat great in details and custom textures :) Rich details however slows down the gameplay. Less is sometimes more, this is in effect always, especially in mapping. If you can play with rich details and vis blockers correctly, it can do great results and playable map. Great thumb up for them, their maps and textures are incredible :up:

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 07-31-2014 11:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hipshot and method. Especially method in the beginning but as time passed I learned to question some of his decisions.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-31-2014 01:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quint and Nunuk.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-31-2014 04:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ghostay, Sock and Hipshot are my favourite mappers, but I dunno if I should say they influenced me much. My mapping has no influences or references. Completely unique. Never been done before.

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 07-31-2014 09:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

also Lunarin

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-31-2014 09:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

spookmineer wrote:
Nunuk.

Nunuk is Sparth, isn't he? He decided he wasn't as good at level design as he was at concept art and went off to work for id and a bunch of other companies painting stuff in Photoshop. He has a few books out now too. Overly talented bastard!

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-31-2014 09:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Theftbot wrote:
also Lunarin

Lunaran! Dude made some killer shit. Visually appealing and also very fun to frag on.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-31-2014 11:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes, Lunaran's last map is also introduced in splash image of new Radiant :) He makes awesome maps.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 08-01-2014 12:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fKd with his cool brushwork and sometimes wild texture combinations that turns out to work so well :)

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-01-2014 12:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, fKd's maps are somewhat nice to look and play, too :) Also, fKd is an active mapper that joins Maveric's competition every year it's launched.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 08-01-2014 01:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anyway, not really a level designer (I think) but Ydnar really inspired to make better levels, because of the features he added to compiling.

Many of Socks things and Cityys QL completion rate and consistent quality in those levels.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-01-2014 01:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've had the pleasure of talking to many many talented people through a common interest in level design.
Not all of them are designer exclusively.
Many of them sadly have moved away from the mapping scene.
Kat is the Blender guru,
Sock excels in just about every area,
I liked the simplicity of PJW's stuff, as well as the common sense he talks.
Fjoggs is incredible for his geometry, just not so good at completing stuff.
Inition and Myth were fine texture artists as well as good level designers.
Charon, Cardigan, actually far too many to mention. That time, when I was just starting out, there were so many super talented designers and artists. The bar was set very high, which is good.
If I had to pick one it would be Raven, mostly because he is one of the most helpful and nicest people I've ever spoken with.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-01-2014 01:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What nation is Raven? I met one player and designer called Raven, he's czech. He was a boyfriend of my sister, too. He lives in Bilina, near Usti nad Labem in Usti District. But you probably mean another Raven, that I don't know personaly :olo:

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 08-01-2014 05:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nunuk/Sparth - geocomp

Tequilla! - for his clear visual style

Lunaran - for his design guide

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-01-2014 05:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pat Howard has written an article about tricks to make good gameplay, which I have edited to fit grammar rules and translated to czech for local readers. It sits on my local drive until I kick myself to do new design of websites, where the guidelines will have its own place. It will be also downloadable in a ZIP file, in HTML format. I have also translated images included along the article, just to keep the translate in effect :) Well, these guidelines affected me a lot, so I shall add Pat in the list of inspirative mappers. Keep going, Pat :up:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-01-2014 08:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dONKEY wrote:
I've had the pleasure of talking to many many talented people through a common interest in level design.
Kat is the Blender guru,
Charon, Cardigan, actually far too many to mention. That time, when I was just starting out, there were so many super talented designers and artists. The bar was set very high, which is good.
If I had to pick one it would be Raven, mostly because he is one of the most helpful and nicest people I've ever spoken with.

Pretty much all of this.... plus wviperw who also wrote the defacto competitive level design guide. I miss these people. :tear:

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 08-01-2014 08:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
dONKEY wrote:
Kat is the Blender guru,

Pretty much all of this.... plus wviperw who also wrote the defacto competitive level design guide. I miss these people. :tear:

I keep telling people, that it was better, way, way back, like before 2004!

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-03-2014 02:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Rota has inspired me a lot by his nice architecture. However I did not see any new map from his, the last map he has released is Adelline in 2009 (sorted by reviews in LvL).

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 08-03-2014 12:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmm.. Hipshot, Sock, Strahlemann, SST13 and AEon to name a few. Its a broad range for me, i just trawl ..::LvL and look at cool maps.

http://lvlworld.com/author/sst13
http://lvlworld.com/author/Hipshot
http://lvlworld.com/author/Strahlemann
http://lvlworld.com/author/Sock
http://lvlworld.com/author/AEon

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-03-2014 05:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

for me, it's the original id software maps like campgrounds, lost world, and vertical vengeance that i always come back to for inspiration. i felt like they had a deep understanding of q3a scale that comes with being on the game's original development team.

sock, for all things artistic and architectural. not only his q3a stuff but i've been really loving his q1 maps lately.

i completely forgot about rota until czghost mentioned him. he was a huge inspiration on me around the time of my first map.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 08-05-2014 05:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fKd wrote:
Hmm.. ... and AEon

Oh, shucks... that brings a tear to my eye... very kind of you to mention my name... snief... :toothy:

To me inspiration was actually real-world architecture, since I always felt the brilliant designs out there are not being used enough. And as we all found out, real-world makes pretty terrible maps usually... alas. But the designs can inspire a few interesting architectural shapes.

The other inspiration are textures, those Sock created come to mind (there are probably at least a dozen other texture-creating folks I forgot, oh,... Hipshot's skyboxes and textures :)), and Socks models e.g. for plants.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-05-2014 05:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Æon, I played your map Ædm7 recently, it was wonderful :) Now with new CPU architecture (changed Pentium 4 to Core 2 Duo) it plays smoothly all the time. Nice work :up: This reminds me that also you has inspired me a lot since your maps are always nice and wonderful. Keep doing that good job :up: :)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-05-2014 05:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ever since the release of my ep_survival map, CZghost has been my biggest influence. Hence the complete lack of map releases since.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-05-2014 05:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo: Well, nice joke :up: Eraser, your maps will never make me mad, I always go to Survival when I need to calm down :) The reason is that this map is much more like deathmatch ones than your previous map Testing Procedures, and other maps for Entity Plus mod.

Maybe I will make a redux of Q3DM7 with retexture and some architectural changes. Thanks for Eraser's Testing Procedures, which has influenced me to do this since there is already retextured section of DM7 :up:

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 08-05-2014 04:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Do any of you remember Headshot from the old Quake 1 days? Amazing mapper and a cool dude. And of course, John Romero, Levelord and American McGee were my first real influences.

As far as Quake 3, Sparth, Sock, Cardigan, and Hipshot inspire by their awesomeness, rather than directly influence.

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 08-08-2014 12:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My inspiration comes from quake1 dm maps and Threewave CTF brush and texture work.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-10-2014 06:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I forgot one, Anwulf.
All round top guy.
School master to the max....brilliant level designer in his own right, and so so funny.
If you read this, from behind the great fire wall, I miss you.

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 08-10-2014 08:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ZTN, and swelt too

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-22-2015 08:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

IN THE BEGINNING:
-Q2 & Q3 stock mappers @Id
-Qfraggle
-ZTN
- Shame on me, i totally forgot Lunaran! <-EDIT
-In 2001 Dangerzone´s tutorials helped me alot to switch to radiant (I was a QuArK user till Q3 release)
I really want to thank M.Kupfer (D@ngerzone) again for his great "german" tutorials! -> http://home.arcor.de/q3michel/tutor/tutindex.html

TODAY:
-Cityy
-Pat Howard
-sst
...And my childhood-hero TWillits... I really like this smart guy!
Id would be a pleasure to sipp a beer and talk with that man...
(Only more pleasure to sipp a beer with cityy, pat,sst & Twillits) :)

Maybe some of the German artists intrested in a small meeting? No mapping weekend... either talk&exchange and havin fun? I would host it at my Appartment.

Last edited by AndyW on 04-23-2015 05:37 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 04-23-2015 03:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dONKEY wrote:

I've been super busy! Always so busy these 15 years, uhm, yea. That's my excuse. :ninja:

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 04-23-2015 04:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DruZli, SHoD, Nunuk, Bal, Mr.CleaN, Teddy, JaLisK0, Charon, Polo, Geit, EvilLair, Decker, Amethyst7, Akuma, Auhsan, ButterB, Poub, iX, Myth, (tm)centaura, r_speeds, Hubster, blemish, Lunaran, acid, cha0s, ninemil, dONKEY, dragee, Electro, Killazontherun, cardigan, stecki, GlassMan, Hal9000, Quakeulf, }{ammer, g1zm0, JustOneFiX, kat, Kit Carson, Krash, Lukin, Laerth, Lloyd Morris, McBugzz, Killer, Munyul Verminard, Jax Gator, Bubba, psion, Speedy, Ydnar, Kell, aEON, thefury aka sumatra, Cityy, dAde, Eraser, Painter, ShadoW(Poland), Requiem, Q-Fraggel, Quaker-X, rfw, Kaziganthe, stiven, Paul Jaquays, StormShadow, Anwulf, Rorshach, redfella, natestah, skinNCNmaster, rgoer, Thunda, TymoN, Tymo, MJK, x0r, Yogi, ROODOG, unitool, [FSF]Moses, Goose, Castle, James McDonough, Tscaboid, megaman, Fjoggs, Priv, jude, Hipshot, Knight Lore''FC, LordSquart, newborn, [acid], voodoochopstiks, sst13, Lemon Head, =PiT=Leone, Vondur, Kamarov, Juz, JUGULATOR, Havoc, Juggernaut, Johan Nilsson, jex, Fingers, Zdim, Wren Hong & Johnny Hong, RRROOOAAARRR, gloogun, Flusyndrome, GAEL, Fusion, Foo, 79DieselRabbit, Friction, Firestarter, Q, KILLSPY, EraSerX, g1zm0, Priv, Vymmiatacz, Shub-[LOL RACISM], Daemion, Cyben, CHICKENTEAM, [BKA]Cu$ith, Sock, QkennyQ, nihil, shadowland2000, quint, papri-K, Brenda EM, Mr.LyCon, LEVELORD, AsNagrim, Kona, Peej, Scampie, Andeh, ALMighty, kirk eichler, Black Dog, Amphetamine, and last but not least...Swelt, PJW, and wVIPERw.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 04-23-2015 09:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AndyW wrote:
No mapping weekend... either talk&exchange and havin fun? I would host it at my Appartment.

I'd like a mapping weekend though! I suggested that to Hipshot once.

Edit:
Back on topic: AEon and Obsidian have influenced me a lot too because of their endless patience when I first showed up here in 2011 and had even less of an idea what I was doing than I have now. There is probably noone here who wasn't inspired by sock's work.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.