Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        "Hydra" FFA [Final]

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: "Hydra" [WIP]

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 06-17-2015 03:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That looks better, but it still suffers from a lack of depth. By placing everything so close to the edges, I get the impression that there's nothing behind the walls.

Detailing ceilings and "out-of-reach" areas are one of my favourite aspects of mapping, because there's so little detailing needed to achieve so much.

I only have access to paint and a touchpad atm, so bear with me here. :P

My picture shows a terrible representation of what I mean. The red colored and the purple colored boxes are structures, and the black lines are wires. These are just examples of what could be going on, but the important part is that both red structures base are placed behind the edge of the current highpoint of your wall, and the purple structure is even further back. This means that at certain parts of the map, a player might not even see the purple structure, but as he moves higher up, he'll see more and more of it. The detailing up there doesn't have to be complicated at all. The windows you've placed would also change to reflect this, maybe adding LOS to one of the walls of the structures.

Hope this helps. :)

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 06-17-2015 09:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Couldn't agree more with what Fjoggs says! A big part of authentic level design is to give the player the feeling that he is in fact not in an enclosed game level but in a tiny fragment of (in this case) a large industrial site. In your screenshot of the MH room, why not convert those giant fans(?) on the left hand site to the main entrance of the facility with a partly opened gate/rollup door/etc and add some geometry in terms of buildings/cranes/ropeways.
Think of creating a feel for what is "inside" and what is "outside"; I think it will improve things a lot again!

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-18-2015 09:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I agree both with Fjoggs and cityy, Looking up to the screenshot Fjoggs made, it looks much better and imagining it in real game with real textures, it would be better even more. Also, what cityy said, if you take your map Trespass, there are outside areas that give feeling of much larger area than the player actualy is in.

To the textures - nice choice, using industrial and facility props (and hi-res) textures pushes that old game far far higher than when it was released in 1999. Because making futuristic maps is too mainsteam :olo: Well, no shit. I think making maps looking more natural (in meaning of realworld) makes the map better than overburned by tons of futuristic features. Mixing natural-looking props with futuristic features is imho the best way to make up the map feeling, anyway.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-21-2015 01:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

quick bump. beta is up.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-21-2015 02:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks nice, but some of the yellow trims need some shifting.... Anyway i deleted all my quake stuff so im not able to test it ... But i think it will figure out to be a nice 1

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 06-22-2015 04:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been waiting for a while for you to put up this beta ... very nice work Pat! You need to put up some invisible thingie to keep the bots out of the water ... can't remember what that's called. It's beautiful though. =)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-22-2015 09:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thanks, v1|3, much appreciated. i will try putting some botdonotenter in the water to see if that helps. for some reason in the last build i did they just started wanting to swim around in it all the time! so weird.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-23-2015 04:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's perfect, nice graphics, I just do not like the Shotgun being on the bridge. If there were small healths or shards instead and SG were moved slightly in corner, like always did... Also, I'd add info_player_intermission for spectators and scoreboard, it looks silly when scroeboard appears on the floor. It needs an overview to most significant part of the map - the one all will remember from it...

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-25-2015 01:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thanks. RC posted. see top of thread for details. will post to LvL soon.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 07-01-2015 08:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice work. The area at the armor shards / ya looks a little stale (mostly the floor). The surfaceparam metalsteps everywhere is super annoying imho.
A shame that you didn't use the flipout weapon spawns. The white ones don't really fit the map. The computer-screen shader by evillair looks a little out of place too. Maybe Photoshop and CTRL+U could help ;)...

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-01-2015 10:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I see you already submitted map to lvlworld. Is it then considered final version? Because I'm gonna to write a review :)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-02-2015 10:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yup, it's final. i'll update the link at the top. thanks.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.